Where do I find a 4.0 rebuild kit?

Catphe10

Hello everyone, I just purchased my first Jeep yesterday! 97 wrangler sport 4.0 I6. So i got a good deal on it knowing that i needed to rebuild the engine, do to very high miles. 220,000 is what i was told. I have been searching for a day and a half now with out much success. What I am trying to do is just a very mild build with reliability and longevity in mind. Where should it start looking for a good kit to rebuild the 4.0? my normal go to, summit, doesn't carry much of what i think i need.
Also the kits i have found all have dished pistons, anywhere from +10cc - +28cc, why is this? can i run flat top pistons if i can find them? Just Fyi here is the process im planning on doing. i will be having the block machined and painted as long as the local shop says its still good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks,

220k miles is considered "low miles" for a properly maintained 4.0 (they'll go well beyond 600k).

How did you come to the conclusion that you need to rebuild your engine? Did you do a compression test or something else?

You're not going to find a "kit" for engine rebuilds to my knowledge. You may find a kit for the gaskets and seals, but that's about it. Everything else you'll have to determine what can be re-used and what can't.

With only having it for a day i haven't hand a chance to do any test. The only thing i know right now is there is a knock in the motor. the guy i got it from said his mechanic told him that the #3 cylinder had a broken piston skirt and/or a bad rod bearing. I dont think that is really whats wrong but i have not had much time to start messing with it yet. sense i am fairly mechanical and have rebuild a handfull of motors, i figuered it would just be easier to strip it down and start from bare block.