Arizona Where do you get your tire work done?

I'm not in Arizona, but I get mine changed at Discount Tire every time. They do a great job, great prices, and they always seem to know what they're doing when it comes to larger 4x4 tires.

I cannot seem to get a good balance from Discount tire. I had all sorts of issues with my Dodge which actually led them to changing to a completely different brand of tire just to make it drivable. Then on my Jeep I just got brand new Duratracs, and they are smooth up to 65 then they vibrate my back teeth out till i hit 70 and it is smooth again. This was dealing with 2 different discount tires.

Both vehicles were smooth before I took them in there. Both far worse after they touched them.

I am not sure it they have Les Schwab in Oregon, but I have never had issues like this there. I miss not having them around.

Now discount is really nice about taking them back and trying again, but they can never seem to get it right. Even at the end I just put up with the vibration because my vehicles aren't my daily driver, but I get so irritated every time I drive them on the freeway.

I really would like to find a good 4 wheeling shop that is not a chain like Desert Rat or 4 Wheel Parts. to get my tires done.

On my truck the rear tires had 6 oz of weight every time until they changed tire brands, although there is just a touch over 1 ounce now it still isn't perfect but it is better still irritating.

The jeep doesn't have any one wheel that has more weight than the other really but it feels like I am in an earthquake from 65-70 and being from Washington I do know what that feels like.

I do like the prices and customer service at discount tire, but they cannot balance a truck tire. Their just 31's sheesh.

Just for fun I called 4 wheel parts to get a quote on a balance and it was like 1 hour labor plus the balance to get it done. They will not just balance the tires without charging me 1 hour labor to look the vehicle over then another 60-80 for the balance. It is pretty ridiculous. (Honestly, I wouldn't mind paying that if they could guarantee me they could balance the tires correctly)

Seriously would just like to find a good Ma and Pa off-road shop that does tire work some place equipped with good truck tire equipment in AZ. One that comes highly recommended for sure.

Maybe your discount tire is better than my two. Did you have truck tires balanced there? Which one is it. Maybe I will give them a try.

I just upgraded my tires from 265/70/17's to 33/12.50/15 because I got some nice gently used Mickey Thompson Classic 2 rims. They gave me credit for the 265 that I purchased 6 weeks ago and I paid the difference to the 33's. They took the time to balance them and mounted them quickly and of course torque them down. My store is the one on Bell Rd and 4th Avenue.

Wow interesting. Thanks for the input. I was hoping to find some closer to me, but I will head over there if they are good. I tried two in Chandler and both failed on both of my rigs.

Discount - 43rd Ave and Bell - 33x12.50x15 BFG -AT - Very satisfied!

Well I went to this Discount tire on Saturday. I didn't have an appointment and they took me right in that was nice. The guy up front told me something completely different than the guy in the back.

They told me that they had new tire machines and that they also road force balance. Then less then an hour the guy in the back pulls up with my jeep and I asked him how it went. He said it was fine and he didn't find anything wrong, but maybe the weights shifted. I thought that was a cop out since there was less than 100 miles since the last balance. I asked him how the road force went and he said they didn't do that because it costs extra. I said the guy up front didn't say anything about it costing more and he said they were going to do it. He said no problem he would do ti but it will cost extra and I have to get back in line. Also it is weird that if they do a shitty job doing a balance job they will charge you more the next time. They tires I replaced were KO2's that were cupped really bad and they ran smooth all of the way as fast as the Jeep would go.

It ticked me off because this DT is an hour drive away, and there is nothing special about my wheels and tires they should balance out right without any special tools. So I opted to not wait anymore also because I didn't feel any confidence coming from them. He told me that they don't train their guys all to balance tires. I was just thinking all you guys do is tires. How do you not teach them how to do tires.

I am pretty done with Discount tires. I guess it is like they you get what you pay for. Probably why I don't fly Value Jet.

So driving home an hour back, My Jeep was smoother with a slight vibration now but it shifted from my butt to my steering wheel. I probably isn't better just different. At least I know they tried, but they just suck.

I guess now since I have old steel wheels I will probably go to 4wheel parts, and buy some American Racing wheels. Hopefully 4wheel parts will do a better job then Discount tire.

Well I went to this Discount tire on Saturday. I didn't have an appointment and they took me right in that was nice. The guy up front told me something completely different than the guy in the back.

They told me that they had new tire machines and that they also road force balance. Then less then an hour the guy in the back pulls up with my jeep and I asked him how it went. He said it was fine and he didn't find anything wrong, but maybe the weights shifted. I thought that was a cop out since there was less than 100 miles since the last balance. I asked him how the road force went and he said they didn't do that because it costs extra. I said the guy up front didn't say anything about it costing more and he said they were going to do it. He said no problem he would do ti but it will cost extra and I have to get back in line. Also it is weird that if they do a shitty job doing a balance job they will charge you more the next time. They tires I replaced were KO2's that were cupped really bad and they ran smooth all of the way as fast as the Jeep would go.

It ticked me off because this DT is an hour drive away, and there is nothing special about my wheels and tires they should balance out right without any special tools. So I opted to not wait anymore also because I didn't feel any confidence coming from them. He told me that they don't train their guys all to balance tires. I was just thinking all you guys do is tires. How do you not teach them how to do tires.

I am pretty done with Discount tires. I guess it is like they you get what you pay for. Probably why I don't fly Value Jet.

So driving home an hour back, My Jeep was smoother with a slight vibration now but it shifted from my butt to my steering wheel. I probably isn't better just different. At least I know they tried, but they just suck.

I guess now since I have old steel wheels I will probably go to 4wheel parts, and buy some American Racing wheels. Hopefully 4wheel parts will do a better job then Discount tire.
I would not get too excited about 4 wheel parts.

Try finding a small local long-time-running shop and let them do it. I have experienced and saw others experience lousy tire work from chain shops and 4wp/Discount. One that pops up was a chain shop around here called Pep Boys. They balanced tires for my co worker and he let me check it out. The wheel weights were moving around the wheel. Auto-balancing wheel weights maybe? Doh! I had tires done at Midas one time and they could not balance em so I had to go in the shop and instruct them them in how to balance em and it they came out ok. Summit racing did a set for me and they shook on the drive home.

I have two small local shops that kick ass when it comes to tire mounting and balancing. They do it till it is balanced right. Thr smaller shops depend on word of mouth so they tend to do good quality work and hope word spreads.

Reactions: bobthetj03 and JMT
I would not get too excited about 4 wheel parts.

Try finding a small local long-time-running shop and let them do it. I have experienced and saw others experience lousy tire work from chain shops and 4wp/Discount. One that pops up was a chain shop around here called Pep Boys. They balanced tires for my co worker and he let me check it out. The wheel weights were moving around the wheel. Auto-balancing wheel weights maybe? Doh! I had tires done at Midas one time and they could not balance em so I had to go in the shop and instruct them them in how to balance em and it they came out ok. Summit racing did a set for me and they shook on the drive home.

I have two small local shops that kick ass when it comes to tire mounting and balancing. They do it till it is balanced right. Thr smaller shops depend on word of mouth so they tend to do good quality work and hope word spreads.

Are you in Arizona? I would love nothing more. I don't know of anything around here other than chains. Which is weird because wheeling is a year round sport here. In WA where I came from, there were tons of Ma and Pa shops, but have not found one at all here yet. I have googled and found two, but sadly both are out of business.

Any offroad shops in your area? Those guys are dealing with big tires on rigs all the time, so they must either balance in house, or know a shop that does good work and understands the complexities of balancing big ass tires.

Any offroad shops in your area? Those guys are dealing with big tires on rigs all the time, so they must either balance in house, or know a shop that does good work and understands the complexities of balancing big ass tires.

The only off-road shops I am aware of in my area is 4wheelparts and Desert Rat, and they are both chains. No ma and pa shops that I have heard about or can find.

Don't laugh but I use Midas Muffler in Lacey WA and have had great service and results! They do all of our fleet vans and vehicles so that might be why. But it is worth looking into! Also there are a lot of jeep people on this site in your state that might have real info for your issue.
https://www.meetup.com/Phoenix-West-Valley-4x4-Off-Roaders/about/
Bill Tower is the one that comes to mind!

Last edited:
Reactions: ac_
Don't laugh but I use Midas Muffler in Lacey WA and have had great service and results! They do all of our fleet vans and vehicles so that might be why. But it is worth looking into! Also there are a lot of jeep people on this site in your state that might have real info for your issue.
https://www.meetup.com/Phoenix-West-Valley-4x4-Off-Roaders/about/
Bill Tower is the one that comes to mind!

Thanks for the info on the club. I will see what I can dig up from them.

Don't get me wrong about chains I bet there could be some good people that work there, but like I saw at DT, when I was waiting from them to open, is they had a sign on the window that said now hiring 10 dollars an hour no experience necessary. If they hadn't come recommended, I would have just left. It ended up being a little better than when it came in, but there was nobody that cared enough to do it right or try any harder than what the machine could do.

It is kind of like when you go somewhere to pay for dinner and you hand them the correct change over the cash to get the cash back instead of change, but they have already pushed the button to open the drawer and look at you like "Now what?"

Or when you call Linksys to get support, and they read you their card, but your issue doesn't match anything on the card. Chris knows what I am talking about.

Or when you go to Discount Tire, and you say why do all of the tires have 2 ounces of weight on all 3 tires but this one has 8oz? And they say that is what the machine told them to put on.

That is what I get from Discount Tire. I am assuming all of the other chains wont be better, but at least 4 wheel parts deals with Jeeps and 4x4s mostly. That is why I am optimistic, but that said, it is possible to maybe find a chain that has someone that just cares a little more, but finding them is tough. Don't lose track of your Dude.

Thanks for the info on the club. Maybe they have some spot I don't know about. Sadly the club is based two hours away from me, but maybe there are some members in that club that live out by me. I will check it out thanks again.

Reactions: MikeM
UPDATE:

So this is what I got from Discount tire. This Store is an hour away. This is the third time getting balanced and they knew that. It kicked the weight from the front tire on the way home.

Ef Discount tire!! never again.
Going to 4wheel parts right now to rectify this issue. Stay tuned
IMG-0001.JPG

UPDATE:

So this is what I got from Discount tire. This Store is an hour away. This is the third time getting balanced and they knew that. It kicked the weight from the front tire on the way home.

Ef Discount tire!! never again.
Going to 4wheel parts right now to rectify this issue. Stay tuned
View attachment 26955

That’s crazy that they can’t get a 31” tire to balance correctly. It’s one of the most highly purchased truck tire size. I mean it’s nothing exotic.

That’s crazy that they can’t get a 31” tire to balance correctly. It’s one of the most highly purchased truck tire size. I mean it’s nothing exotic.

Three times and it gets worse every time

I just ordered 5 new Pro-comp wheels from 4wheel parts, They are going to be in next Saturday, We will see if they can do any better. They laughed at my story, so I am really hoping it will be a non-issue. My tires have less than 200 miles on them, and I will have brand new wheels, so there should be no excuse on why they cannot balance them correctly.

I will keep you posted. If they do this right the first time I will exclusively do all of my tire work there.