Where do you keep your pistol?

bucky

Old Fart
Supporting Member
I hope this isn’t a politically incorrect post.

I have a CCW. I need to figure out a way to secure my pistol when I go into an establishment that doesn’t allow them such as a bar. In my YJ I have a lock box that fits nice and secure with easy access in the center console. The YJ console is too small for anything. It should be big enough to hold a 1911 or equivalent.

Reactions: Egadz
I hope this isn’t a politically incorrect post.

I have a CCW. I need to figure out a way to secure my pistol when I go into an establishment that doesn’t allow them such as a bar. In my YJ I have a lock box that fits nice and secure with easy access in the center console. The YJ console is too small for anything. It should be big enough to hold a 1911 or equivalent.
I use one of the underwear safes made for the TJS. But I only leave it in there if I’m going somewhere where I can’t bring my gun with me. 99.99% of the time it’s on me.

Under the seat, of course.

20200810_130904.jpg

What I did before this was when I parked take my glove box out completely and put it behind that and then lock the glove box closed. If anyone broke into my plastic glove box they would probably never look behind it and waste more time.

Last edited:
M
Tuffy underseat drawer for no flip seat (#248).

The one for the flip seat (#250 or 251 depending on year model) is a bit smaller so I don't know what size gun it can handle. I replaced my flip up mechanism with standard risers to accommodate the larger drawer. As you can see, it will fit plenty of firepower.

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/product/285/underseat-drawer-jeep-wrangler-tj-lj-no-flip-seat
View attachment 239433
Mine is flip seat. Will hold two compacts or one full size with two magazines.

Or one revolver and a fuck-ton of 410/45 Colt.

The Tuffy underseat drawer is my go to. I also have the center console insert. It maintains the factory plastic exterior but gives you a steel container inside with a beefier lock and better hinges.

Keeping my pistol on me is always preferred.

Reactions: Ephry73
I keep my pistol in my pants! My wife caused me to do that :(

Pistols are illegal in Australia even air pistols (BB guns) even the Cowboy cap guns without a red end cap! I bought some up, Italian made colt 45 toy Cap guns, not sure what to do with them though? lol

Last edited:
Tuffy underseat drawer for no flip seat (#248).

The one for the flip seat (#250 or 251 depending on year model) is a bit smaller so I don't know what size gun it can handle. I replaced my flip up mechanism with standard risers to accommodate the larger drawer. As you can see, it will fit plenty of firepower.

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/product/285/underseat-drawer-jeep-wrangler-tj-lj-no-flip-seat
View attachment 239433
Unfortunately I have the flip seat also. Where did you get your replacement seat bracket? Tuffy does not post the exact size details, just that it is 149 cubic inches. It’s cheap enough so I will get one in the short term until I find something better. My daily carry is a Springfield XD-40 subcompact so it’s pretty compact. I cherish having a CCW here in California, it’s not the easiest thing to get. My North Dakota CCW was a piece of cake.
Thanks for your responses.

I have the small Tuffy box for the flip seat. I can fit a Glock 21 45 ACP with an extra mag - but just barely.

View attachment 239610

Tuffy only sells a version for the driver’s side, but it fits fine on the passenger side. I have one there as well.
I have this box, usually keep my warn platinum remote and Inreach and charger cables in it. Pistols do fit too.

I have this box, usually keep my warn platinum remote and Inreach and charger cables in it. Pistols do fit too.
Tufffy says the interior dimensions of the box for flip seats is 2 5/8" high. My winch remote is bigger than that. I really would like to find a place to keep the remote in the Jeep when my big lock box is not in there.

11C50CE8-CFA6-4257-B902-830D80E7D007.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: Apparition
I also have the large LJ version of the behind the read seat Tuffy box. Now that thing holds a lot. As @Jerry Bransford stated above, those three boxes are all keyed alike - a nice feature going with the Tuffy stuff.