Where do you mount your communications radios?

The CB might go away. I'll give it one more season.
20210829_191158.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: tworley and Irun
I’ve got the Uniden 520xl and the Midland mxt275. The uniden is mounted on the drivers side on the center console. The Midland is hidden under the passenger airbag switch. Since you will barely ever need to access the midland console.
C36C9D2A-A1E9-4CC7-9B23-D005DB7C4CA5.jpeg

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
What kind of antenna are you running with the HF rig? I'm kicking around the idea of adding an HF to mine, with possibly a rear bumper mount extensible mast for stationary deployment.
I have a Yaesu ATAS-120 which is a small screwdriver antenna good from 40M up. I have not figured out how to do 80M.

Reactions: Zorba
I mounted a Midland MXT275 on the driver side footwell, and ran a mic outlet plug in place of the cig. lighter. Seams to work well for me and it's out of the way

View attachment 275434

View attachment 275435

View attachment 275436

View attachment 275437

View attachment 275439

View attachment 275440
I'm not a fan of a bar mounting, like ARR, mainly due to the fact that everything is in plain sight for thieves. I like this idea, since it could be hidden more. I'll take a peak behind the glove box or on the passenger side. Tapping into power and routing antenna cable would be fairly easy as well.

Reactions: fourpointzero
I mounted a Midland MXT275 on the driver side footwell, and ran a mic outlet plug in place of the cig. lighter. Seams to work well for me and it's out of the way

View attachment 275434

View attachment 275435

View attachment 275436

View attachment 275437

View attachment 275439

View attachment 275440
This is basically how I did mine. And that's the same radio Irun has. Since you never really need to get at the "radio" itself since everything is on the mic, it makes for a super clean install. I did something similar with my new radio and tucked my CB away inside my center console since I haven't seen/heard anybody use it in forever. It's still there and functional just in case though.

Reactions: TJ Starting
I'm not a fan of a bar mounting, like ARR, mainly due to the fact that everything is in plain sight for thieves. I like this idea, since it could be hidden more. I'll take a peak behind the glove box or on the passenger side. Tapping into power and routing antenna cable would be fairly easy as well.
Added benefit that it's just a standard CAT5 network cable so the mounting is easy, and you can unplug the mic and put it away when not in use. Less attention from thieves and even cleaner look if you don't want to see that mic hanging there all the time.

Added benefit that it's just a standard CAT5 network cable so the mounting is easy, and you can unplug the mic and put it away when not in use. Less attention from thieves and even cleaner look if you don't want to see that mic hanging there all the time.
I'm definitely going the route @Plumber1 did. At this point I need to figure out where to put a Cat 5 Jack, then get the time to make it happen!

I put mine on the bottom side of that flat spot to the right of the console switches. That way when it's unplugged, you can't see it at all. Plus, it keeps the cord away from my leg more driving.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irun