Where does the rear axle breather terminate and how can you get to it?

fljeeper

TJ Enthusiast
Where does the rear axle breather terminate and how can you get to it? I need to put in a longer breather hose for the lift I have. I see that the stock breather hose goes somewhere above and behind the left rear upper shock mount, but I can see how to get to it. What have you done for this scenario?

It is next to the gas filler neck. If you pull off the trim ring around the gas cap you will see the hose. Or you can remove the plastic right underneath it.

Just extend the end of the hose that comes out of the rear axle a few inches with a plastic hose union and a couple zipties for clamps.

Just extend the end of the hose that comes out of the rear axle a few inches with a plastic hose union and a couple zipties for clamps.

I've always been curious as to why our differential's need air? Is it to keep a vacuum from forming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always been curious as to why our differential's need air? Is it to keep a vacuum from forming?

The breather tubes are there for just what the description says, to let the diffs breathe. As you drive and the gear oil and gears heat up the pressure inside the diff goes up. These breather tubes allow that pressure to equalize with outside air pressure so that seals don't get blown out.

Reactions: Rob5589
The breather tubes are there for just what the description says, to let the diffs breathe. As you drive and the gear oil and gears heat up the pressure inside the diff goes up. These breather tubes allow that pressure to equalize with outside air pressure so that seals don't get blown out.

Ahh ok that also makes sense. Thanks!

Reactions: Chris