Where does the shift interlock cable attach at the steering column?

Jamison C

Heil Savvy 🙋‍♂️
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I’m doing a 42rle swap and I 100% want the cable installed so I don’t wanna hear why it’s irrelevant.

Anyways, I’ve looked all over the ignition switch and can’t find a place for the cable to attach to. Knowing Chrysler, my manual-equipped jeep probably has an ignition switch that isn’t compatible with a shift interlock cable. Can anyone confirm this? Any pictures of where the cable attaches? Thanks.

Last edited:
I 100% want the cable installed so I don’t wanna hear why it’s irrelevant.

Anyways, I’ve looked all over the ignition switch and can’t find a place for the cable to attach to. Knowing Chrysler, my manual-equipped jeep probably has an ignition switch that isn’t compatible with a shift interlock cable. Can anyone confirm this? Any pictures of where the cable attaches? Thanks.
I’ll bite, what does the shift interlock cable do on a manual equipped vehicle?

Oops I should have clarified. I’m swapping in a 42rle.
Ahh, that makes a lot more sense now.
I’ve only had one Auto equipped TJ and while not positive, I don’t recall it having a shift interlock cable, I think it still had the little tab you pressed in order to remove the key. But like I said, not positive as I sold that Jeep in 2007.

2 - Copy_LI.jpg
3 - Copy_LI.jpg
5 - Copy_LI.jpg

I’m doing a 42rle swap and I 100% want the cable installed so I don’t wanna hear why it’s irrelevant.

You need the ignition switch from an auto without the release lever to remove the key that the manual has. If you get one, make sure you get the little pellet that is used to make it all work. It is about 3/8" tall x 1/8" thick x 1/4" wide and is not available anywhere I have tried to find one.

Reactions: Mike_H
Ahh, that makes a lot more sense now.
I’ve only had one Auto equipped TJ and while not positive, I don’t recall it having a shift interlock cable, I think it still had the little tab you pressed in order to remove the key. But like I said, not positive as I sold that Jeep in 2007.
All the autos have them. Key has to be on to take it out of park.

Reactions: Vinman
You need the ignition switch from an auto without the release lever to remove the key that the manual has. If you get one, make sure you get the little pellet that is used to make it all work. It is about 3/8" tall x 1/8" thick x 1/4" wide and is not available anywhere I have tried to find one.
Would it be easier to just try and find an auto column than try to find just the ignition parts?

Would it be easier to just try and find an auto column than try to find just the ignition parts?
Not sure but probably. I've got a couple that are useless without that pellet.
Typically I’m good at understanding things but I’m not understanding why I would need an entire column if I just wanted to switch out the ignition switch? Couldn’t I source one from a junkyard or Davey’s and have it re keyed?

You only need the lower part of the ignition switch. See Mountaineer Tom's first picture. Pull the lock cylinder to remove / install the switch. And don't loose the pellet!

You only need the lower part of the ignition switch. See Mountaineer Tom's first picture. Pull the lock cylinder to remove / install the switch. And don't loose the pellet!
Just watched a pretty informative video from a guy swapping out an ignition switch on his 05 liberty. Crossover part on several Jeep models and looks pretty straightforward. I see what y’all mean now by the pellet.

Just watched a pretty informative video from a guy swapping out an ignition switch on his 05 liberty. Crossover part on several Jeep models and looks pretty straightforward. I see what y’all mean now by the pellet.
If you don't get the pellet, the switch is useless. You don't need the column but the pellet falls out which renders it useless. If you get the switch and the pellet, you're golden.

Reactions: Jamison C
Typically I’m good at understanding things but I’m not understanding why I would need an entire column if I just wanted to switch out the ignition switch? Couldn’t I source one from a junkyard or Davey’s and have it re keyed?
You don't need to rekey it. Just move your ignition lock cylinder over.

Reactions: Jamison C
I saw that Liberty video too when I was looking at how to change my actuator. Glad I did because I could see myself letting that little pellet get lost accidentally.

I’m no machinist, but it seems like it would be easy to reproduce if you had one to get all the measurements from. I’m sure there’s not a big demand for them unless you happen to be someone who needs one.

Not sure but probably. I've got a couple that are useless without that pellet.
If you don't get the pellet, the switch is useless. You don't need the column but the pellet falls out which renders it useless. If you get the switch and the pellet, you're golden.
How many of the pellets do you need? I’m happy to grab you a few when I go get the part I need. Plenty of KJs and WJs in my local yard.

How many of the pellets do you need? I’m happy to grab you a few when I go get the part I need. Plenty of KJs and WJs in my local yard.
It the interlock module the same? TJs are pretty rare in the yards around her, but lots of other jeeps.

Little rant... Found a TCM from a WK for 87 dollars. The one for the TJ is 275! And... The pins are all rusty.