Where does the vent tube from the rear axle go?

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Got a question. The vent tube that comes out of the rear axle (Dana 35) , looks to go up on top of the gas tank. Is that right or does it route to a different location. I have pulled on it a good bit and it will not move. I'm hoping to move it up higher along with the transmission vent tube that is pointing down close to the skid plate.

thanks

Thanks! For some reason PO laid it on top of the gas tank. I found it there when dropped the tank to replace the fuel pump.
I suspected it went up the fuel filler tube area, even the ty-wrap was still there.

To piggy back on this question, what is the correct route for the front vent tube? Mine is just ziptied straight under the radiator and it doesn't look at all correct.

To piggy back on this question, what is the correct route for the front vent tube? Mine is just ziptied straight under the radiator and it doesn't look at all correct.
Jeep front axle vent.JPG

Here's where it is on my '03. Comes right up the side of the radiator.

Reactions: Daryl
Yup, that’s where they go. You probably already know this, your missing the cap for your vent.

Thanks! Didn't know, but then Oreo has a slight aversion to swamps and mud pits. Not to mention that I have not gotten under her to move the rear axle vent up into the fuel filler tube area (still wedged into the gap between the body panels on the underside of the body, above the rear axle :( ).

Reactions: SulliedSoc
Posted these pics of the front diff vent hose on another forum. Hope it might help someone on this forum. Rout the vent hose from the diff attachment to the outside of the control arm, up through the power steering hoses, behind the radiator overflow tank and to the upper left radiator attach bolt (10MM on my Jeep). If you're missing the original adele clamp (aka loop clamp) you should try to find one at your local hardware or auto parts store. A slight twist of the hose below that clamp towards the radiator while your tightening the bolt will help it clear the steering shaft assembly. The red arrow in the second pic points to the hose in close proximity to the steering shaft u-joint between the long shaft and the stub shaft.

IMG-0884.jpg

IMG-0885.jpg