Where does this plug go? Jeep won’t start

MrRumpus

Supporting Member
97 TJ 4.0 Manual all of a sudden won’t start. Was running great.

When troubleshooting I found this loose plug. I cannot find where it goes. Not sure if it’s related to my issue. It comes out from the same part of wiring harness that goes to the distributor.

The vehicle turns over but won’t start. It has gas. All fuses good. Swapped fuel pump with horn relay also. Checked battery is good with volt meter. Sprayed starter fluid in the intake and it pudders a bit but won’t start. I jumped fuel pump relay and hear it humming.

Another symptom is I noticed my fuel gauge and volt meter do nothing when I turn the key. Fuel light is lit, Temp and other gauges activate and radio/fans come on. All gauges work when I run a cluster test.

Not sure where to go from here, any advice?

97E908EC-7432-4AB6-A2D8-76ACB3C47F93.jpeg

Can you see the color of the wires that go in the plug?

If you check out your Factory Service Manual, in the resources section, in the wiring section, you can trace where those colors come from, and where they’re supposed to go.

My rig doesn’t have a distributor, so I don’t know if any wires or plugs would be the same.

Based on it's location my guess would be the connector to the AC compressor clutch if there is no factory air.

AC works fine. Not long enough for hood light. The wires are yellow/red or yellow/brown. Unless I’m mistaken I think this is it. Still can’t find the other end of it.

CF4C437E-1368-4C60-B701-B17CC3752A4B.jpeg

I'm going with distributor.

Now I saw you said it was near the wires for the distributor.

The coil connector on my YJ is similar to that, but if your coil is where the YJ coil is, I don't think it is long enough for that.

Last edited:
I'm going with distributor.

Now I saw you said it was near the wires for the distributor.

The coil connector on my YJ is similar to that, but if your coil is where the YJ coil is, I don't think it is long enough for that.
My distributor is plugged in. I haven’t messed with that connection since it was running...

How about (yellow/violet) the oil pressure transducer since you have an external oil pressure gauge installed with a coil of copper tubing connected to where the oil pressure transducer was screwed in.

Last edited:
if i remember right it is for a switch that speeds up the engine with power steering on a 4 cyl. but its not used on the 6cyl, thats why its just hanging there. its called the power steering pressure switch its only on the 4cyl.

Reactions: MrRumpus
I guess it could be the hood light as the FSM indicates it has yellow/brown wires. The plug is just super low. Any way to rule this mystery plug out with my voltometer?

I am at a loss of where to go from here to get this thing started again...

B3947D11-C7F9-4DCA-805B-1410553C77B6.png

POWER STEERING PRESSURE SWITCH—PCM INPUT A pressure sensing switch is included in the power steering system (mounted on the high-pressure line). This switch will be used only on vehicles equipped with a 2.5L engine and power steering. The switch (Fig. 9) provides an input to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). This input is provided during periods of high pump load and low engine rpm; such as during parking maneuvers. The PCM will then increase the idle speed through the Idle Air Control (IAC) motor. This is done to prevent the engine from stalling under the increased load. When steering pump pressure exceeds 3275 kPa 6 690 kPa (475 psi 6 100 psi), the normally closed switch will open and the PCM will increase the engine idle speed. DAMN IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO COPY THE IMAGE, BUT THIS IS WHAT THAT PLUGS INTO ! its shown on page 85 of the service manual

Reactions: SSTJ
POWER STEERING PRESSURE SWITCH—PCM INPUT A pressure sensing switch is included in the power steering system (mounted on the high-pressure line). This switch will be used only on vehicles equipped with a 2.5L engine and power steering. The switch (Fig. 9) provides an input to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). This input is provided during periods of high pump load and low engine rpm; such as during parking maneuvers. The PCM will then increase the idle speed through the Idle Air Control (IAC) motor. This is done to prevent the engine from stalling under the increased load. When steering pump pressure exceeds 3275 kPa 6 690 kPa (475 psi 6 100 psi), the normally closed switch will open and the PCM will increase the engine idle speed. DAMN IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO COPY THE IMAGE, BUT THIS IS WHAT THAT PLUGS INTO ! its shown on page 85 of the service manual
Ok cool I’ll reverse search it and see if I can find the image

Well I cracked my distributor pickup donut trying to inspect it. I’m going to get a new one and a crankshaft positioning sensor. If they haven’t failed already they probably fail soon, worth replacing anyway I guess.

Well I cracked my distributor pickup donut trying to inspect it. I’m going to get a new one and a crankshaft positioning sensor. If they haven’t failed already they probably fail soon, worth replacing anyway I guess.
What's a pickup donut? Avoid store brands for sensors, it's best to go Mopar if you can find them. Store brand sensors cause as many problems as they fix. It took 3 Duralast (from AutoZone) oil pressure sensors in one day before I finally got one that worked properly.

• Haha
Reactions: MrRumpus
That plug is on the wrong side for the PS switch, the harness plug for that comes out of the harness in the same location as the TPS.

What's a pickup donut? Avoid store brands for sensors, it's best to go Mopar if you can find them. Store brand sensors cause as many problems as they fix. It took 3 Duralast (from AutoZone) oil pressure sensors in one day before I finally got one that worked properly.
Haha Non technical term, I cracked the plastic circle part on top of the distributor pickup.

CPS on order. Mopar distributor pickup in hand.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford