Where should I mount the OX locker cable shifter?

Rick2004LJ

TJ Enthusiast
Seriously looking at putting a cable operated ox locker in the front axle of my LJ. How/where do people usually mount the shifter? Would love to see some pictures of some installs.
Thanks

I don't know many people here that run the OX lockers with the cable shifters. From my little experiance with them trying to get the cable routed properly is a HUGE PITA. And now since they offer either a electric or air option most people are using them instead.

I don't know many people here that run the OX lockers with the cable shifters. From my little experiance with them trying to get the cable routed properly is a HUGE PITA. And now since they offer either a electric or air option most people are using them instead.
And if I were to choose an air or electric actuated version, I'd be going with an ARB Air Locker or an Eaton E-Locker. Between those two I'd probably go with the Eaton E-locker.

And if I were to choose an air or electric actuated version, I'd be going with an ARB Air Locker or an Eaton E-Locker. Between those two I'd probably go with the Eaton E-locker.

Yes Jerry we all understand YOU don't like OX but that doesn't mean that others can't run that brand locker.

Yes Jerry we all understand YOU don't like OX but that doesn't mean that others can't run that brand locker.
Every post here is a personal opinion and I was quite clear that what I said was my personal opinion... "And if I were to choose an air or electric actuated version" that if it was ME doing it I'd make a different brand selection.

My buddy has them mounted beside his drivers seat. I can always tell when he is locking in because he has to open his door to reach them. They work flawlessly, but I would want air or electric. The cable are a pain in the ass.

Every post here is a personal opinion and I was quite clear it was my personal opinion... "And if I were to choose an air or electric actuated version" that if it was ME doing it I'd make a different brand selection.
Have you experienced issues with OX? I’ve never seen anyone run one.

Reactions: Wildman
Have you experienced issues with OX? I’ve never seen anyone run one.
I read enough problem stories about the cable mechanism that I knew I didn't want one. That got better with later cable mechanism design improvements but not so much I'd have gone with one. It's too bad too because I had met the original designer of the Ox several times many years ago and followed its development up to the point he had its final design machining done either by a Porsche contractor or something to do with Porsche. At its earlier stages I wanted one.

Reactions: Apparition
I read enough problem stories about the cable mechanism that I knew I didn't want one. That got better with later cable mechanism design improvements but not so much I'd have gone with one. It's too bad too because I had met the original designer of the Ox several times many years ago and followed its development up to the point he had its final design machining done either by a Porsche contractor or something to do with Porsche. At its earlier stages I wanted one.
So the locker itself is sound it’s just the actuation method?

I've been running 35S ox in rear and he's it locks everytime I apply air. Also has a thread in lock bolt in case you need a locker and your supply fails. The only downside to ox I found is the diff cover is larger than a stock cover.

I've been running 35S ox in rear and he's it locks everytime I apply air. Also has a thread in lock bolt in case you need a locker and your supply fails. The only downside to ox I found is the diff cover is larger than a stock cover.
I need to pull my ARB, it’s working but also blowing diff fluid out the breather.

Then one of the guys in Moab had an Eaton e locker that quit working. Haven’t heard why yet.

Guess they can all have issues.

Yes that seems to be the one complaint I hear for most OX owners.

I had a friend who had the cable actuated lockers in her TJ and it took a good 5-8 trips back to the shop before she finally got them adjusted correctly.

My sons BIL has OX lockers in his LJ and has I think the electric actuator and had issues with it on a recent wheeling trip.

That's my impression. One thing for sure, it's a niche locker that just isn't as popular as other brands and when that's the case I have to believe there's something to that. I certainly read of more actuator issues with the OX than other selectables. There are newer selectable lockers like the E-Locker that are already far more popular.

Reactions: Apparition
I like mine, front and rear, electric actuated. I haven't measured, but Id guess the size of the cover will be close to whatever other chunky aftermarket cover. I've never had any clearance issues, front or rear.

I think the OX got a bad name in the beginning due to cable issues and never really recovered. The cable has been upgraded, but once ppl make up their mind, it can be difficult to persuade them to change. Reading about others problems or seeing something poorly reviewed from sometime ago is all some ppl need to form an opinion.

Marketing/sponsorship is also a very powerful tool.

I think the ARB is a great locker, however I have no personal experience. As I understand, the OX and ARB are very similar in how they function, with a locking ring.

Eaton also makes a great product.

Ultimately, whose stickers do you want...

Last edited:
I like mine, front and rear, electric actuated. I haven't measured, but Id guess the size of the cover will be close to whatever other chunky aftermarket cover. I've never had any clearance issues, front or rear.

I think the OX got a bad name in the beginning due to cable issues and never really recovered. The cable has been upgraded, but once ppl make up their mind, it can be difficult to persuade them to change. Reading about others problems or seeing something poorly reviewed from sometime ago is all some ppl need to form an opinion.

Marketing/sponsorship is also a very powerful tool.

I think the ARB is a great locker, however I have no personal experience. As I understand, the OX and ARB are very similar in how they function, with a locking ring.

Eaton also makes a great product.

Ultimately, whose stickers do you want...

Yes I totally agree. Watching my friend deal with the cable issues was what kept me from looking at OX. But as you said they improved/fixed the cable issues but most remember those issues and can't get past that.
We all have our opinions and it's hard to change those sometimes once a bad opinion has been formed.

When I'd heard they'd now offered the electric or air actuators I was like good to see them trying to improve. One of my club members actually made his own air actuator due to the cable issues before they offered any other options.