Where to get a new or rebuilt PCM?

Bill Clark

Supporting Member
My PCM is showing P0106. That means that the next issue is with my 42LE transmission shifting. No new are available from MOPAR until estimated 12/31/2018. When ever I am told end of the year I get nervous. Also that costs 999.99. Ouch. Looked for a rebuilt. Nope none available. Finally found a shop in NY that does rebuilds. Now hoping....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shatto
I don't know why Mopar would be getting new ones at all, period. The TJ has been out of production for long enough that they no longer manufacture parts for them. I would suggest checking eBay or seeing if any of these various places online that rebuild PCMs can rebuild yours.

Reactions: Bill Clark
I stopped at my local dealer to check and see if they might have one collecting dust on the back room shelf. The parts technician searched his computer with a look of confusion and concern before announcing 29 customers had units on back order, one vendor showed one unit in stock my parts guy thought that to be something remanufactured (probably need to send in yours) for $1399. And no indication from his system of anything new available anytime soon on the horizon.

Reactions: Bill Clark
So this is an actual issue guys... if we can't get replacement PCMs for our TJs, we're essentially screwed, unless you can find something at a junkyard that may or may not work.

So this is an actual issue guys... if we can't get replacement PCMs for our TJs, we're essentially screwed, unless you can find something at a junkyard that may or may not work.
Yah no kidding, I think I'll give mine a good looking over this winter for any possible leaks.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

I stopped at my local dealer to check and see if they might have one collecting dust on the back room shelf. The parts technician searched his computer with a look of confusion and concern before announcing 29 customers had units on back order, one vendor showed one unit in stock my parts guy thought that to be something remanufactured (probably need to send in yours) for $1399. And no indication from his system of anything new available anytime soon on the horizon.

All of the rebuilt I looked at require you to send yours in when the rebuilt arrives. The guy I am trying rebuild your PCM. I should not have to have it reprogrammed when it comes back, but if I do, that is a trip to the dealer.
I am trying G7 Computers.

this May sound bad on the TJ forum, but I used to be a Landcruiser guy. FJ40 and FJ55. No computers, but ran out of frames and body parts.

Yes, old vehicles were like that. They were certainly much easier to work on. CJs were the same way!

Yah no kidding, I think I'll give mine a good looking over this winter for any possible leaks.

This makes me think that if I could find a brand new one, I'd buy it just to keep as a spare.

I guess the one nice thing about this is that the TJ is such a perfect donor vehicle, that if you were really down on your luck with a replacement PCM, you could just swap in a V8 and never have to worry about that PCM B.S. again :p

Yes, old vehicles were like that. They were certainly much easier to work on. CJs were the same way!

This makes me think that if I could find a brand new one, I'd buy it just to keep as a spare.

I guess the one nice thing about this is that the TJ is such a perfect donor vehicle, that if you were really down on your luck with a replacement PCM, you could just swap in a V8 and never have to worry about that PCM B.S. again :p
Yep, or stick aftermarket fuel injection on it. Although I guess that wouldn't help the 42rle run.

Reactions: Ken Jones
Yep, or stick aftermarket fuel injection on it. Although I guess that wouldn't help the 42rle run.

That’s part of the issue. The later model TJs had the TCM built into the PCM, which presents a problem. One solution might be to change the wiring from an 05-06 to an 03-04, which then would have a separate PCM and TCM. Of course that still doesn’t change the fact that they don’t make replacements anymore.

Or so they say... you may have to call them to find out if they are actually in stock. If so, I'd be curious to know if they are new, rebuild, etc.

I have no experience with them, just hoping they will be a viable source for the guys or gals that need them.

What sucks is that the factory used that silicone crap to pot the circuitry. What typically fails in the PCM's is the capacitors. I tried to dig out the potting compound and it takes hours to get the circuits exposed. Then you need to determine what component is bad, then replace the bad part. If they used surface mount technology, then you need a 10x microscope and steady hands to unsolder the old and resolder the new part on. Then it is a reprogram...God I wish I had a copy of the program on my laptop and was able to build new PCMs and reprogram...

Reactions: Cesar
God I wish I had a copy of the program on my laptop and was able to build new PCMs and reprogram...

I wish you did too, because a lot of us are going to run into issues in the future since Mopar no longer sells ECMs, and there isn't any other option other than getting a "refurbished" one, or finding one at a wrecking yard.

I truly think this is one of those issues that will need to be addressed at some point if people want to keep these things on the road.

I think a lot of people will resort to a V8 swap, a carborator (and fake odb2 computer for etest locations) or aftermarket fuel injection computers and a transmission swap of some sort for autos.

I know a guy who was able to rebuild the tcm on my Mazda and I've seen him working on a 5.9 Cummins ecu. But I've no idea if he's willing to do a jeep ecu. He doesn't seem to like American stuff. (the Cummins uses bosh everything so I guess it doesn't count)

Reactions: Chris
ECM's are going to be a problem for our TJ's going forward. Mine failed at about 100k miles and had to be rebuilt. A company out of Florida did a fine job of it for me. Talking with the tech down there, he explained that the components rarely go bad, but the solder on the surface mounts fails due to shock and vibration. It causes intermittent bad connections and makes the computers go stupid. Blows out ignition timing, fuel map and transmission shifting. I've got a manual 2.5, so it was just the timing and fuel that was going wankie on me. Already have a plan and parts list put together for when you can't get rebuilt ECM's any longer. New one's haven't been available for several years. There's directions available online to do your own repairs, but like has been mentioned, it's non-trivial between the potting and the soldering involved. You get lucky with the 2.5. Mechanical distributors and carburetor intake manifolds are still available, and pretty cheap. The gauges and a gauge dashboard insert are still available from VDO.

Reactions: Shatto