Where to get a new or rebuilt PCM?

Call me when you can. 866-888-7710

Hello sir

I'm currently living in the middle east where I bought a 1997 TJ 4.0 back in August. I had my engine overhauled and when it came to plug the PCM there was no connection whatsoever (it was running fine before pulling the engine out) and now we're having trouble finding a replacement for it.

My car's VIN eith digit is V, that was for leaded fuel. We actually need a PCM for the V number programmed for an S vehicle. Also, the car used to be automatic from the factory but it's been modified for the 5 speed manual.

Can you help us out? Thanks!

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Hello sir

I'm currently living in the middle east where I bought a 1997 TJ 4.0 back in August. I had my engine overhauled and when it came to plug the PCM there was no connection whatsoever (it was running fine before pulling the engine out) and now we're having trouble finding a replacement for it.

My car's VIN eith digit is V, that was for leaded fuel. We actually need a PCM for the V number programmed for an S vehicle. Also, the car used to be automatic from the factory but it's been modified for the 5 speed manual.

Can you help us out? Thanks!
Good morning,

I believe we. An help you.
Please send me your vin number and a photo of the part number that was running your pcm.

yiu can email them to me at [email protected] and I will do my due diligence and get back to you.

Thanks,

Mark

Reactions: Chris
Here's an update.
Issue: 97 Wrangler hard to start (some times). For 15 years I've been turning the ignition on 3 times to prime the system and it would start right away. Over the past 9 months it's been very hard to start some mornings even after priming. Once it starts it generally start for the reset of the day.
So my mechanic said he was 99% sure it was a computer problem. Many internet forums and youtube had similar issues resolved by a computer so I ordered one from FS1.

1. I should have listened you you all about not using FS1. They are the worst people to deal with. But they were the cheapest and you didn't have to send in your core to get the warranty.

2. I received my first PCM/ECM back in December. Installed it, and the car started right away but only ran for 3 seconds and then died no-matter how much gas you gave it.
I returned that first computer and eventually received a replacement. It did exactly the same thing.
I returned the second one and eventually received a replacement and it too did exactly the same thing.
I put my old one back in and it will eventually start useing the same old technique.

3. When you prime the system, each time you can hear the pump hum. I then noticed that if you leave the ignition on and you still hear the hum, the car will not start.
I then realized if I just leave the ignition in the on position until it stops humming it will start right up. This can take several minutes.

My son is the primary driver of the jeep now and I hear him in the morning go out to the car prime it and then leave the ignition on and come back in the house to finish getting ready for school.
When he returns to the car it start right away.

So now I'm thinking it's not the computer at all.
I'm thinking it's the fuel pump (which has needed replacing for years).
But it is odd that it starts right up with all of the 3 FS1 computers even though it won't continue to run.

Thoughts?

Here's an update.
Issue: 97 Wrangler hard to start (some times). For 15 years I've been turning the ignition on 3 times to prime the system and it would start right away. Over the past 9 months it's been very hard to start some mornings even after priming. Once it starts it generally start for the reset of the day.
So my mechanic said he was 99% sure it was a computer problem. Many internet forums and youtube had similar issues resolved by a computer so I ordered one from FS1.

1. I should have listened you you all about not using FS1. They are the worst people to deal with. But they were the cheapest and you didn't have to send in your core to get the warranty.

2. I received my first PCM/ECM back in December. Installed it, and the car started right away but only ran for 3 seconds and then died no-matter how much gas you gave it.
I returned that first computer and eventually received a replacement. It did exactly the same thing.
I returned the second one and eventually received a replacement and it too did exactly the same thing.
I put my old one back in and it will eventually start useing the same old technique.

3. When you prime the system, each time you can hear the pump hum. I then noticed that if you leave the ignition on and you still hear the hum, the car will not start.
I then realized if I just leave the ignition in the on position until it stops humming it will start right up. This can take several minutes.

My son is the primary driver of the jeep now and I hear him in the morning go out to the car prime it and then leave the ignition on and come back in the house to finish getting ready for school.
When he returns to the car it start right away.

So now I'm thinking it's not the computer at all.
I'm thinking it's the fuel pump (which has needed replacing for years).
But it is odd that it starts right up with all of the 3 FS1 computers even though it won't continue to run.

Thoughts?

It sounds like it could be a skim issue to me.

Do you still have an FS1 pcm?

We can Disable the skim on that pcm or you can remove the skim module from the Jeep and see if that solves your issue.

I saw threads about security devices doing this exact thing but I didn't think my old 97 Jeep had one.
If this is in fact my problem with the new computers, I don't understand how all the others in this thread had theirs work out of the box. Are they shipped with the skim disabled?

I saw one video where they guy had two 97 Wranglers, one with a starting problem, and he pulled the PCM from the running jeep and installed it in the non-running jeep and it ran. I've read that my year Jeep doesn't even need the VIN changed.

So if I remove the skim, and that's why it won't keep running with the new PCM, I should be good?

I still have the FS1 PCM.

I saw threads about security devices doing this exact thing but I didn't think my old 97 Jeep had one.
If this is in fact my problem with the new computers, I don't understand how all the others in this thread had theirs work out of the box. Are they shipped with the skim disabled?

I saw one video where they guy had two 97 Wranglers, one with a starting problem, and he pulled the PCM from the running jeep and installed it in the non-running jeep and it ran. I've read that my year Jeep doesn't even need the VIN changed.

So if I remove the skim, and that's why it won't keep running with the new PCM, I should be good?

@Wranglerfix can likely answer this. I’m going to tag him so he sees this.

The pcm that started and died has skim enabled. Once that is removed you will be fine.

It is in and out the same day and $150 for the service.

The pcm that started and died has skim enabled. Once that is removed you will be fine.

It is in and out the same day and $150 for the service.
isn't my 97 too old to have skim? my original keys are black not gray.
I have been using a key copy when testing the PCMs.

According to another thread, FS1 PCMs have skim disabled.

So even if I don't have skim, if the PCM has it enabled it will die after a couple of seconds?

isn't my 97 too old to have skim? my original keys are black not gray.
I have been using a key copy when testing the PCMs.

If your keys are black, you shouldn't have SKIM on there from the factory.

According to another thread, FS1 PCMs have skim disabled.

No one knows with FS1. Those guys are an absolute joke. I suspect they disable the SKIM most of the time, but given their reputation, they very well may have forgotten to do that on yours.

So even if I don't have skim, if the PCM has it enabled it will die after a couple of seconds?

Yes, if your PCM has SKIM enabled and you start it without the SKIM key (the one that is programmed to the PCM), it will die after a couple of seconds.

So I'm guessing this FS1 PCM didn't come from a 97 and they forgot to disable it 3 times..
Would a 97 PCM even have the SKIM option to enable?

Wrangler Fix, LLC
2350 North University Dr.
Pembroke Pines, FL 33084
866-888-7710

Please write your address, telephone number, email address, etc. on the inside of the package as well as what the issue is.

We receive apackage recently that had nothing in it but a pcm. It was a l lot of fun tracking down the owner! 🤯

Call me if you have any questions and thank you for using our services.

Mark

Wrangler Fix, LLC
Pembroke Pines, FL 33084
866-888-7710

Please write your address, telephone number, email address, etc. on the inside of the package as well as what the issue is.

We receive apackage recently that had nothing in it but a pcm. It was a l lot of fun tracking down the owner! 🤯

Call me if you have any questions and thank you for using our services.

Mark
Question Mark, my stock 2006 Rubicon PCM has an aluminum case with a finned back and can accept a aftermarket tune. The PCM you sale is by a different manufacture than the stock 200/2006 PCM and can't accept a aftermarket tune. So what is up with that?

Also, I keep getting a cam position sensor code after I installed the rebuilt PCM and OPDA. Do I need to go to the dealer and have the them reset my PCM or is there a work around?

Also, I keep getting a cam position sensor code after I installed the rebuilt PCM and OPDA. Do I need to go to the dealer and have the them reset my PCM or is there a work around?

Let me guess: You installed a Crown OPDA (or other aftermarket OPDA) and used the CPS sensor that came with it, right?

If so, that is your issue. It is very, very well documented that these older Jeeps reject almost any sensor other than OE Mopar sensors. So many people have replaced the OPDA and come to find that the new sensor continuously throws error codes. They replace the new sensor with the Mopar CPS sensor from their old OPDA, and codes go away and everything works great.

This should have nothing to do with your PCM at all.

Let me guess: You installed a Crown OPDA (or other aftermarket OPDA) and used the CPS sensor that came with it, right?

If so, that is your issue. It is very, very well documented that these older Jeeps reject almost any sensor other than OE Mopar sensors. So many people have replaced the OPDA and come to find that the new sensor continuously throws error codes. They replace the new sensor with the Mopar CPS sensor from their old OPDA, and codes go away and everything works great.

This should have nothing to do with your PCM at all.
Chris, yes I replaced the ODPA with a crown unit and don't have the old sensor. I have since replaced the sensor with 3 different manufactures models and all still have the recurring problem. Got any idea on where to find an OEM sensor?

Chris, yes I replaced the ODPA with a crown unit and don't have the old sensor. I have since replaced the sensor with 3 different manufactures models and all still have the recurring problem. Got any idea on where to find an OEM sensor?

Yep, now you're running into the issue so many of us face.

Mopar no longer makes the sensors, and any sensor you can get from an auto part store (that I know of at least) is going to cause the CEL to not go away.

I'm 99% certain this is your issue, as you're not using a Mopar sensor. If you figure out the answer to this, so many of us want to know the solution. Right now we're at the mercy of the Chinese, since Mopar abandoned us.

Reactions: Blondie70
my post app can't verify your address

Pembroke Pines, FL 33084

is #849085 a PO Box #?

The good news is Mark fixed the Start and die "SKIM" issue and the Jeep will remain running.
However, now the AC compressor cuts on intermittently for a couple of seconds even when the AC is off.

I wouldn't think AC/Heat functions were controlled by the PCM.
Am I wrong?