Don Bulee

TJ Enthusiast
Hello guys, just like everybody with a jeep.... I'm wondering what to improve and I'm considering priorities... and since opinions and advices are always welcomed I would like to know what do you consider should be next... I already have a pretty decent rig (06 TJ rubicon) so lockers, Dana 44s, lift, winch, ZJ tie rod conversion, DC driveshaft, adjustable rear upper control arms, 4.10 gears and recovery gear is already checked... so I'm considering a few different things to upgrade now and what I consider to be most important.

1. Revolution Gears to upgrade from 4.10 to 5.38s (tranny 42rle, oem lockers) I dont use the jeep a lot in the highway but still... I want more power!
2. Rough Country or barnes transfer skid plate to gain about 2 inches since I already made all the improvements needed for the mild tummy tuck (MML, BL, compressors relocated) (I know Barnes 2 inch drop is better, but I think it needs a lot of stuff to do to their skid plates)
3. Black Magic Pads.. the complete kit I think is a bit expensive so.... I will start with the pads and see from there...
4. Lower Control arms from Core 4x4 with JJ in one end, I currently have some skyjacker with poly bushings in both ends.... I hate them..
5. Metalcloak oil pan skid plate (not really a super rock crawler, so the expensive and fancy UFC is a no-go)
6. 35 inch tires.. (315x75r 16) currently I have 285x75r16
7. Chromoly shafts but only after I broke one, since I'm not a big gas pedal guy while wheeling.....

what are your thoughts?? am I missing something? do you consider that my priorities are not according to the common sense? thanks!

Without a doubt start with BMB brake pads. I will always prioritize stopping over any other performance mod. After that I would say new gears or better control arms would be the next best choice.

Reactions: Don Bulee
I will add one piece. Definitely lock that rear end any time you hit loose surfaces, that limited slip in the rear locker will go on you if you're spinning like that and catch traction.

I will add one piece. Definitely lock that rear end any time you hit loose surfaces, that limited slip in the rear locker will go on you if you're spinning like that and catch traction.

The lockers were not activated at that time it appears.... I turned them on and just get into the obstacle without checking if they were engaged... My bad!

Reactions: Morks
Without a doubt start with BMB brake pads. I will always prioritize stopping over any other performance mod. After that I would say new gears or better control arms would be the next best choice.

My brakes aren't that bad... And I usually dont cruise a lot... So for my 33s the current pads will do the trick until I upgrade to 35s or until I go to a good up and down trail..... So yes... They BMB pads may be one of the first mods... Depending on the next trails to visit haha

I'd say go with as much tummy tuck as you can do. I regret not doing that to begin with. I had everything lined to for the ultra high clearance just didn't buy that.
For some reason I thought the engine skid you have listed wasn't desired. The UCF skid bolts to the transfer case skid and the motor mounts.

I'd say go with as much tummy tuck as you can do. I regret not doing that to begin with. I had everything lined to for the ultra high clearance just didn't buy that.
For some reason I thought the engine skid you have listed wasn't desired. The UCF skid bolts to the transfer case skid and the motor mounts.

It is not recommended by @Jerry Bransford ... But he rock crawls like a champ! I dont.... So between having nothing and having the metalcloak one... I think the metalcloak one will be better...

Hello guys, just like everybody with a jeep.... I'm wondering what to improve and I'm considering priorities... and since opinions and advices are always welcomed I would like to know what do you consider should be next... I already have a pretty decent rig (06 TJ rubicon) so lockers, Dana 44s, lift, winch, ZJ tie rod conversion, DC driveshaft, adjustable rear upper control arms, 4.10 gears and recovery gear is already checked... so I'm considering a few different things to upgrade now and what I consider to be most important.

1. Revolution Gears to upgrade from 4.10 to 5.38s (tranny 42rle, oem lockers) I dont use the jeep a lot in the highway but still... I want more power!
2. Rough Country or barnes transfer skid plate to gain about 2 inches since I already made all the improvements needed for the mild tummy tuck (MML, BL, compressors relocated) (I know Barnes 2 inch drop is better, but I think it needs a lot of stuff to do to their skid plates)
3. Black Magic Pads.. the complete kit I think is a bit expensive so.... I will start with the pads and see from there...
4. Lower Control arms from Core 4x4 with JJ in one end, I currently have some skyjacker with poly bushings in both ends.... I hate them..
5. Metalcloak oil pan skid plate (not really a super rock crawler, so the expensive and fancy UFC is a no-go)
6. 35 inch tires.. (315x75r 16) currently I have 285x75r16
7. Chromoly shafts but only after I broke one, since I'm not a big gas pedal guy while wheeling.....

what are your thoughts?? am I missing something? do you consider that my priorities are not according to the common sense? thanks!

View attachment 411456

What brand of cargo webbing do you have?

Smittybilt CRES Cargo, which right now is INCREADIBLY cheap on amazon, only 70 bucks and it is great because you dont need to remove it if you put your hardtop back again... I have only but good things to say about it...

(the pictures may look that is the plastic one, but in the 3th and 4th picture you will be able to see that is the correct material)

cheap price:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K150QGC/?tag=wranglerorg-20
original price of 180 bucks:
https://www.smittybilt.com/product-skus/smittybilt-cres2-hd-cargo-restraint-561135/

Reactions: Texas-TJ

20210526_182050.jpg

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I like the looks of it. Good for the dogs. How long have you had it?

about 3 years now.. I only have my hardtop off like 3 months per year tho... but for storage stuff between the cargo net and the window is very functional.. I never remove it... and wash it once per year with soapy water and a brush...

Reactions: Texas-TJ
agree... but I think the re-gearing is more important tho... I ride it more than I flex it...

sounds like you know what you want to spend the money on.

::edit:: I thought it was a list of options, not a list by personal priority.
On 33s my order would probably be bushings/control arms, tummy tuck, then other stuff. But I prioritize the wheeling aspects, clearance and smooth articulation. And not ripping control arm mounts off.

Last edited:
sounds like you know what you want to spend the money on.

::edit:: I thought it was a list of options, not a list by personal priority.
On 33s my order would probably be bushings/control arms, tummy tuck, then other stuff. But I prioritize the wheeling aspects, clearance and smooth articulation. And not ripping control arm mounts off.

so, you consider control arms to be first in the priorities instead of the gears?

about 3 years now.. I only have my hardtop off like 3 months per year tho... but for storage stuff between the cargo net and the window is very functional.. I never remove it... and wash it once per year with soapy water and a brush...

I got it installed. Took me awhile. It does great to contain the dogs.

20230402_101633.jpg