Colorado Where to Visit

Shank

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Perhaps a different thread than most,

Last year was the first time we’ve ever been west (from Ohio). We spent a good amount of time in Ouray, went to Silverton, Durango, Breckenridge, and Telluride.

We did the Alpine Loop in rental side by sides (I know, we’re those people).

Needless to say, it was an amazing trip. So good, we plan to return this Summer.

Having spent some time on this forum it seems there could be some good advice on places to visit. We loved Ouray, seeing everyone with built Jeeps/etc. We will for sure stop there a couple days again. We would love to do Alpine loop again but it’s unlikely due to cost of vehicle rental.

Is there anywhere else we can go with near (or better) the views? This trip we will likely be in a rental car and we probably won’t rent a side by side again (costs). We also would like to explore other states at some point.

The rough plan is to Fly to/from Denver, maybe try to see Estes, stop at Breck briefly, Ouray, Creed, Colorado Springs, Denver.

One day we would really like to have the LJ out there.

72F5391D-2A70-489C-B28C-84A36CE16EDC.jpeg

If you are looking for things to do and see....Based on your loop.....how about a stop near Alamosa at the Great Sand Dunes? I can also recommend Pagosa Springs (hot springs are there) it is a pretty drive from Durango through to Pagosa on the 160 (Chimney Rock along the way), stay on the 160 through Pagosa and through Wolf Creek Pass, and into Alamosa for the Dunes. Then the 285 to 24 into the Springs....I can say once you come out of the Canyon past Manitou Springs...a stop at Rudy's BBQ would be a must! Of course the reverse way works too....

If you are a fan of Vacation with Chevy Chase...there is a scene where they are driving down from Wolf Creek pass into Pagosa on the 160...

Reactions: Shank
I can say once you come out of the Canyon past Manitou Springs...a stop at Rudy's BBQ would be a must!

X2. Used to always go to Rudy's when I traveled to TX. Was thrilled when they opened up two in CO!

Reactions: Shank
Ended up having to do a shorter trip due to some unforeseen circumstances, will just be flying into Denver and staying around RMNP.

It beats not going at all.

Reactions: tnjeepguy