Where's this oil coming from and how bad is it

DrTwitch

Guys, the Wife is getting tired of oil spots ruining our new driveway. We get a 3 inch oil spot each night.

I've wiped oil off and looked everywhere, it isn't coming from the oil pan. Had it taken in to a jeep shop and they didn't find anything noticeable. They cleaned off the block and any visible oil and I've been watching for it to reappear, and found this drop forming this morning.

IMG_20200201_102028~2.jpg

Check the back of your valve cover. It could be leaking from there and running down. If the area on the back is oily, wipe it down and monitor it to make sure that’s where it’s coming from. It’s the easiest and cheapest solution.

Could also be the oil pan gasket leaking or the rear main seal. Both require disconnection the exhaust for clearance and removing the oil pan.

I had the same looking leak 3 years ago. In my case it was the oil pan gasket at the rear had a little tear in it. Some say to replace the rear main seal while you’re in there, but I didn’t. There was no sign of it leaking so I wasn’t going to mess with it. Leak free for 3 years.

Use Fel-Pro gaskets for all the above. Easy to use and real good quality.

Last edited:
Guys, the Wife is getting tired of oil spots ruining our new driveway. We get a 3 inch oil spot each night.

I've wiped oil off and looked everywhere, it isn't coming from the oil pan. Had it taken in to a jeep shop and they didn't find anything noticeable. They cleaned off the block and any visible oil and I've been watching for it to reappear, and found this drop forming this morning.

View attachment 137858
Looks exactly like mine before the rear main seal and pan gaskets were replaced now no leaks.

I think most of the common leaking points have been covered. (pan, valve cover, rear main seal) The other one is the oil sending unit but that’s usually dripping down the passenger side of the block to the pan.

Reactions: Pete Updike