Which axle is most likely to break a shaft?

freedom_in_4low

I'm a rooster illusion
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
My LJ currently has stock shafts in the open front HP 30 and the E-lockered rear 44. I know with 35" tires I need to upgrade them both ASAP but if the free time and the financial priorities dictated that I could only do one or the other until after Christmas and I don't want to just not go wheeling until then, which should be the first upgrade?

I lean toward the rear because it's locked and sees a lot more load than the front. But I also see a case for the front simply because it has u-joints in it and the shafts are a bit smaller. What say you?

Does your front axle have a locker? If so upgrade it first with 4340 inner/outer shafts. If only the rear axle has a locker I'd upgrade that one first.

Edit: I see now your front axle is open, I'd upgrade the rear shafts.
Agree, rear takes more abuse

good call. that's what I was thinking.

Just went and pulled the trigger on the ones from Revolution. If nothing else, they supposedly come pre-assembled so I won't have to buy a shop press or go through the runaround of getting a shop to put them on with the retainer plates facing the right direction.

My LJ currently has stock shafts in the open front HP 30 and the E-lockered rear 44. I know with 35" tires I need to upgrade them both ASAP but if the free time and the financial priorities dictated that I could only do one or the other until after Christmas and I don't want to just not go wheeling until then, which should be the first upgrade?

I lean toward the rear because it's locked and sees a lot more load than the front. But I also see a case for the front simply because it has u-joints in it and the shafts are a bit smaller. What say you?

I would expect the Dana 30 shafts to give before the Dana 44, so I'd go front first.
If you had a Dana 35 it'd be no question to do that first.

Reactions: Steel City 06
I’d go front, especially since it’s unlocked. Too many people let them free spin until they catch and then you’re toast. Similarly to @jjvw - I’ve seen more fronts break than rears, primarily because of the u-joint being undersized (we’ll probably the ears, but none the less).

Reactions: JMT and jjvw
I’d go front, especially since it’s unlocked. Too many people let them free spin until they catch and then you’re toast. Similarly to @jjvw - I’ve seen more fronts break than rears, primarily because of the u-joint being undersized.
I'd upgrade the fronts when a traction device is added

I certainly am biased through my experience, but the fronts are just under gunned. Given the budget for only one, I’m sticking to fronts first regardless of being locked.
I just don't like doing things twice.

Fronts get done when one breaks.

I just don't like doing things twice.

Fronts get done when one breaks.
Having seen two broken fronts take out the ball joints and having it almost to me, I'll still suggest the fronts first. Getting out and home in 3 wheel is much more difficult when the knuckle falls off leaving you with literally three attached wheels.

dammit you guys. :ROFLMAO: I went with the first two responses and then a bunch of opposing ballots showed up all at once. :unsure:

I could go ahead and order the fronts but it's looking like they're at least 30 days out, so the decision is made for me regardless. I either wheel (conservatively) with stock front shafts or don't wheel at all until mid December at best.

Guess it depends on what spline count the traction device would be.
I suppose that’s a good consideration. I’d bet there’s a good market for Dana 30 shafts though. That’s easy work if you need do it twice, there’s many other things I wouldn’t want to (TT being the big one).

Reactions: Apparition
Having seen two broken fronts take out the ball joints and having it almost to me, I'll still suggest the fronts first. Getting out and home in 3 wheel is much more difficult when the knuckle falls off leaving you with literally three attached wheels.
what happens when you break a rear?