Which axle shafts should I go with?

The dirty little secret in the jeep TJ axle shaft marketplace is that all of the imported 4340 chromoly axle shafts come from the same handful of foundries in India. Buy from an established company with a good warranty - the imported axle shafts themselves are essentially the same except for the labels on the boxes.

The exceptions to this are the more expensive "made in U.S.A." front and rear chromoly axle shafts manufactured by the Foote foundry in Los Angeles and sold by Revolution Gear & Axle. Revolution is the only source for these that I am aware of.

Reactions: psrivats and DuncLJ
For those axles, I would get the revolution shafts, especially the front with the larger 1350 shafts. It'll be all the beef. :)

I tried to buy rear axle shafts from RG&A in December 2017 but they had no inventory of either imported or domestic axle shafts for the rear Rubicon Dana 44. I didn't have time for them to sort out their supply issues, and after investigating all available options I purchased rear chromoly shafts from Ron Stobaugh at Carbon Offroad. It was a pleasure doing business with him; I highly recommend his company. https://carbonoffroad.com/

I am currently installing a Yukon manual hub conversion kit which comes with new chromoly outers. It seemed the appropriate time to install chromoly inner axle shafts as well, which I sourced from Yukon this time.

The axle shafts from both companies are high quality. Both sets are proudly stamped Made in India.

There is a lot to be said for the RG&A domestic front axle shafts, particularly if mated with CTM u-joints. If I were in the position to need that much component strength I would likely pick that option over RCV axles. However, the reality is that 99% of us don't need either and an upgrade to any brand chromoly axle shaft doesn't make much economic sense unless and until there is a failure of the stock components or one is paying someone to open up the axle anyway and can rationalize the upgrade as a fortuitous bargain. My axle shaft upgrades have fallen into the latter category both times.

Last edited:
Reactions: psrivats
However, the reality is that 99% of us don't need either and an upgrade to any brand chromoly axle shaft doesn't make much economic sense unless and until there is a failure of the stock components or one is paying someone to open up the axle anyway and can rationalize the upgrade as a fortuitous bargain. My axle shaft upgrades have fallen into the latter category both times.

OP, these are very wise words from @Mr. Bills. I have Yukon in mine (installed when I decided to regear my axles), and only because I got a really, really good deal on the price at the time and there was no extra labor charge.