Which battery to go with?

I forgot I had this too.

image.jpg

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Conventional wet cell batteries are simply not able to withstand the shocks and vibrations of anything more than very casual offroading or street use like AGM is. For those doing only that conventional batteries are fine. And Optima AGM batteries don't recover well from being run down but standard AGM batteries have no problem with that.
I'm aware of what the advertising says. However, I think for those of us not running the Hammers every other weekend lead acid is more than sufficient.

Reactions: ColoJeep
I'm aware of what the advertising says. However, I think for those of us not running the Hammers every other weekend lead acid is more than sufficient.
You don't need to be running the Hammers. Many offroad trails have rough enough terrain to benefit from an AGM battery.

Is there any reason NOT to use a G24 instead of G34? G24 is the same footprint, just an inch taller.

Counter intuitively, the 34's I have compared all have higher CCA's than G24's, but here in Florida I'm not as concerned with that as much as reserve capacity. Sadly, the manufacturers almost never post their RC unless it's a deep cycle battery.

It just seems like bigger has to be better in SOME category. (insert punchline here)

You don't need to be running the Hammers. Many offroad trails have rough enough terrain to benefit from an AGM battery.

Never seen or heard of a battery directly failing from vibration, but I have replaced, warrantied and exchanged piles of AGMs for not taking a charge. I'll take my chances.

Never seen or heard of a battery directly failing from vibration...
Just because you haven't seen or heard of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist or happen. Do a little Googling on the benefits of AGM batteries, why they're constructed the way they are, and learn something.

• Haha
Reactions: pc1p
Never seen or heard of a battery directly failing from vibration, but I have replaced, warrantied and exchanged piles of AGMs for not taking a charge. I'll take my chances.

Do the "maintenance free" flooded batteries without caps still have the leak potential? AGM made sense to me on a dirt bike I was laying over all the time but if I roll my rig, a little acid spillage will be the least of my worries. It's not like alien blood that eats through a ships hull in seconds.

Flooded batteries seem to consistently reach the 7 year mark for me so until I have a good reason to believe I might get 14 out of an AGM I don't have a good reason to pay double.

Do the "maintenance free" flooded batteries without caps still have the leak potential? AGM made sense to me on a dirt bike I was laying over all the time but if I roll my rig, a little acid spillage will be the least of my worries. It's not like alien blood that eats through a ships hull in seconds.

Flooded batteries seem to consistently reach the 7 year mark for me so until I have a good reason to believe I might get 14 out of an AGM I don't have a good reason to pay double.

The “maintenance free” flooded lead acid batteries still have the potential to leak. Usually only when punctured though. They still gas off as well, and need vented if in an enclosed battery box/compartment. Still much much safer than the old capped versions…

I run the Walmart Everstart Maxx life battery. Great stats, warranty and I can get a replacement almost anywhere that I go. Zips the Hemi over quickly. Financially it just makes a lot of sense…

Just because you haven't seen or heard of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist or happen. Do a little Googling on the benefits of AGM batteries, why they're constructed the way they are, and learn something.

I know all about them and the marketing behind their product. Hell, I was in the Optima Battery booth at SEMA ten years ago or so. I guess my point is if it were some common thing that happened to lead acid batteries, I would have come across at least one example first hand. I do have 2 AGMs at my shop right now that are under warranty and won't take a charge.

This Optma yellow top was made 7-15. I installed it new 03/24/16.
It’s beginning to start slow but starts every time. Thinking it may be time for a change.
Would like your opinions.
Is this a long time for a battery to last ?
What battery should I try this time.
Thanks !

View attachment 385249

Allow me to make the following point:
If this battery is finally knocking on deaths’ door after 7+ years, why would you replace it with something else?
I just bought a yellow top for my JK, and when this TJ battery goes, it will get one as well.

I just replaced my battery about a month ago, maybe 2. I ditched the lead acid and went AGM because, well, it's better. I wanted an Odyssey Extreme because of how highly recommended it is, but just couldn't find one (on a time crunch, ordering wasn't an option.) I ended up at a batteries + bulbs because they have Odysseys, just not the right size, when I saw a Duracell. Didn't even know they made automotive batteries. I gave it a shot and have been thoroughly pleased thus far. It's an AGM starting and deep cycle battery. Starts my TJ just fine in the -4 degree winter mornings and I run my diesel heaters and whatever else off it while I'm camping.

. . . I think for those of us not running the Hammers every other weekend lead acid is more than sufficient.

Usually, yes. Until it isn't.

The primary reason for running an AGM battery in a jeep is to prevent acid leaks in the event of a rollover or other mishap. Increased resistance to vibration and shock is another benefit touted by some, but it is a secondary benefit at best because the number of first-hand reports of incidents of failed flooded lead acid batteries due to vibration or shock is quite small (if one can find any first hand reports at all).

I friend of mine once rolled his jeep on its side on an easy, almost level forest service road in the SoCal mountains after a moment of inattention when he allowed his jeep to drift onto a berm. It was a freak accident, but the battery acid leak was as bad as if he had completely rolled over at the Hammers or in Moab. He purchased an AGM battery the next week.

I am currently running Costco Interstate flooded lead acid batteries in my jeep, Xterra, and Miata. It is a calculated risk in the event of an accident or rollover, but these vehicles are garaged where the climate is not kind to batteries so the ease of replacement under Costco's warranty tipped the scales in favor of the Costco Interstate flooded lead acid batteries. However, I am starting to sell off vehicles and soon won't have to worry about a "fleet" of batteries to maintain and replace. I'm keeping the jeep and will likely purchase a NAPA or O'Reilly's AGM (aka the Deka Intimidator AGM) when it is time to replace that battery.

Reactions: Jezza
I just replaced my battery about a month ago, maybe 2. I ditched the lead acid and went AGM because, well, it's better. I wanted an Odyssey Extreme because of how highly recommended it is, but just couldn't find one (on a time crunch, ordering wasn't an option.) I ended up at a batteries + bulbs because they have Odysseys, just not the right size, when I saw a Duracell. Didn't even know they made automotive batteries. I gave it a shot and have been thoroughly pleased thus far. It's an AGM starting and deep cycle battery. Starts my TJ just fine in the -4 degree winter mornings and I run my diesel heaters and whatever else off it while I'm camping.

I had a Duracell (East Penn/Deka) for a few years in my first TJ and never had any issues. Brought many a dead car back to life. I had a group 34/78 AGM but it seems Duracell isn’t offering that one anymore, just the group 34 AGM.

But it’s essentially the same as the comparable Superstart from O’Reileys etc.

On the subject of battery maintainers, I have one of these Costco-only Deltran Battery Tenders on the starting batteries of each vehicle I own that isn't driven weekly. They work as expected.

Costco only Deltran Battery Tender.jpg

Here is the pigtail to connect to the battery of my jeep, which tucks out of sight when not in use. I would rather have the charger sit out where I can see the indicator lights from a distance, and I wanted to be able to easily move the charger to another vehicle, so I did not permanently mount the charger under the hood.

Battery Charger Connection with hood closed.jpg

I’m super jealous at how y’all have 7+ year truck batteries.

Gotta say, it’s anecdotal to me, but I’ve owned 5 Jeeps, 2 F150’s, a Chevy 1/2 ton, 2 Expeditions, 2 Suburbans, and 2 Ford Explorers and now a BMW for my daughter.

I grew up in Houston, married in Dallas and been in Austin area of Texas since 1998.

I have purchased AGM and standard batteries, Sears Die Hard was the main, but in the past 20 have them from Costco and Sam’s and Walmart and I think just 1 Autozone, neve, ever have I had a battery last more than 4 years. They usually go in 3 or just after 36 months, but got close to 4 a couple times.

Texas is listed as hardest on batteries, Florida is 2nd (cold can kill start, but seems to not kill the battery) according to the consumer battery site (could be an idiot who knows).

Every District or General Manager I discuss this with ag these places, laugh and say “yeah, show me a battery that lasts 7 years in Texas”

I asked a ton of guys here, none. I had the paperwork on most, makes me crazy. I wish these state AGM and whatever else lasted that long here.

I’m sure someone somewhere here will say otherwise, mine is just what I’ve seen and a bunch of guys I coached with, friends of my brother that ran Off Road Unlimited in Houston and the Roadwire chain in Texas guys and my buddy the COO and my buddy who has the Central Texas Auto chain. Not a scientific study , but everyone I know has the 3-4 year at best here experience.

I’m super jealous at how y’all have 7+ year truck batteries.

Gotta say, it’s anecdotal to me, but I’ve owned 5 Jeeps, 2 F150’s, a Chevy 1/2 ton, 2 Expeditions, 2 Suburbans, and 2 Ford Explorers and now a BMW for my daughter.

I grew up in Houston, married in Dallas and been in Austin area of Texas since 1998.

I have purchased AGM and standard batteries, Sears Die Hard was the main, but in the past 20 have them from Costco and Sam’s and Walmart and I think just 1 Autozone, neve, ever have I had a battery last more than 4 years. They usually go in 3 or just after 36 months, but got close to 4 a couple times.

Texas is listed as hardest on batteries, Florida is 2nd (cold can kill start, but seems to not kill the battery)

Every District or General Manager I discuss this with ag these places, laugh and say “yeah, show me a battery that lasts 7 years in Texas”

I asked a ton of guys here, none. I had the paperwork on most, makes me crazy. I wish these state AGM and whatever else lasted that long here.

I’m sure someone somewhere here will say otherwise, mine is just what I’ve seen and a bunch of guys I coached with, friends of my brother that ran Off Road Unlimited in Houston and the Roadwire chain in Texas guys and my buddy the COO and my buddy who has the Central Texas Auto chain. Not a scientific study , but everyone I know has the 3-4 year at best here experience.

I picked up my 2013 F150 in October of 2012. I traded it in February of 2021. It had the original motorcraft battery.

The battery lasted longer than the engine and transmission.