Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey folks, im sure its a ongoing discussion about which battery to buy, but my battery died and its time for a replacement.
I bought a yellow top optima yesterday and have not installed it yet. but after reading reviews, im not so sure its the one to buy.
the Interstate and and the diehard were batteries that ranked at the top and im wondering if i should take the Optima back and opt for the interstate or diehard from sears.
I really would like your opinion. thanks !!!

I have had several Optimas. Didn't like the way they performed or lasted in my jeep or my motorhome.
I have an 8 year old Diehard from Sears that they no longer sell. However it is an Odyssey. Was all along. I believe Sears had it wrapped as Diehard Platium. Anyway when It finally chokes, Odessey is what will replace it.
I was going to mention this when I saw what you had purchased but......well you aalready had bought it and " to each their own."

Last edited:
Reactions: Serbonze
no problem, i did look for the Diehard battery but the Sears did not have them at the little store in my home town and i would have had to drive one hour to get one. ill give this Optima a try, i have a 3 year free replacement on it so we will see. I did call Diehard and they told me the Diehard 34/78 dt platnum was discontinued ?? so. if this one does not hold up ill change next time. thanks for yalls information

Reactions: Serbonze
The very LAST battery I would buy again is an Optima. In my personal experience, and a lot of others too, their quality took a giant nosedive after being purchased by Johnson Controls. I had premature failures of all three of my Optima batteries, never again will I buy another Optima. Not to mention the Optima side posts can't handle a winch.

no problem, i did look for the Diehard battery but the Sears did not have them at the little store in my home town and i would have had to drive one hour to get one. ill give this Optima a try, i have a 3 year free replacement on it so we will see. I did call Diehard and they told me the Diehard 34/78 dt platnum was discontinued ?? so. if this one does not hold up ill change next time. thanks for yalls information

Odyssey same battery as Diehard Platinum.
So when those yellow tops crap out-——-. :confused:

Reactions: Chris
I've had my yellow top for about 10-11 months now. I have run it completely dead once after coming home from a trip and leaving my headlights on for over a week, (i'm talking reset my stereo and my check engine light dead) I charged it for a few days with a trickle charger and it's been fine. I sometimes leave my compressor on for my on board air and it will get it to the point were I can't start it. I jump it or push start it and it won't give me anymore problems. I also have my winch cable on the front posts and have used it many many times with out any issues. I just ended up burning up my old mile marker winch at TDS a couple weeks ago and the side terminals are fine. I should move the cables up to the top terminals or put jumpers at least, but I've been too lazy and it hasn't given me any problems so I haven't done it.

I know they have a bad rap in recent years but I've never had a problem with them. I only use my jeep for wheeling trips and the occasional trip to the store so it sits for weeks at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I used to run Optimas on every vehicle I had about a decade ago. However, it's been a long time since I've run one, so I can't comment as to how they are now. Back in the day when I was using them were amazing batteries and worth the extra money.

I won't buy another. Horrible short live performance for the deep cycle in my motorhome.

But hey to each their own. If it rings your bell

I believe I mentioned this at some point, but it should be known that there's something like only 5 or 6 manufacturers of batteries in the world. There was a huge discussion about this on the BMW M3 forum and a bunch of guys did the research. Most batteries out there come from 1 of these 5 or 6 different major manufactures. They are then labeled with whatever brand name they want to sell them as and sold in stores.

In other words, often times an Exide battery and an Odyssey battery (I'm just using that as an example, I don't know for sure) come from the same original manufacturer.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
With the cold temps here, my Jeep has been having a harder time turning over. I've always bought my batteries at Costco, and was planning on doing the same for my TJ.

For what it's worth... latest ratings from CR in group 34/78. Jeeps take 34. The 3 columns on the right are Life, Reserve Capacity, CCA respectively.

Battery ratings.JPG