Which BBQ should I buy?

P man

Keister Bunny
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Buying a new propane bbq this weekend. I have been out of the game for a while now.

Go $249 home depot special?

Or spend $5-$600 on a weber?

I have made the mistake of letting them sit out uncovered in the past and that seems to really speed up the decaying process so I will buy a cover and probably keep in my garage.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
Weber for sure. I've owned plenty of cheap grills, they won't last long.

I had a 3 burner Weber Spirit ($500) for almost 10 years and used it 4-5 nights a week.
You can buy replacement parts for them just about everywhere, so they will last even longer.

I have a Weber Genesis ($1000-ish) now. It is even better. Very well built, should last forever with proper care.

Prices have gone up considerably lately though. A Spirit model is about $600-$800, and a Genesis is $1000-$1500.
It depends on the finish and whether you want a side burner or not.

Last edited:
Agree, I have a broil king I think sovereign 90 I bought @ 2007. A lot of stainless steel and really not much to rust. I keep it outside on the deck and covered but still looks good and no rust. Have replaced the burner and grates recently but if covered and quality material they will last a long time.

942126CD-2F16-48F1-AC06-2CDE2EF882FA.jpeg

Reactions: P man and DuncLJ
I'm definitely leaning towards the weber..I know in the past I have bought the $199 home depot special only to find in a year everything inside is rotted and the parts cost exceed buying a new one. I am definitely looking for something longer term

Buying a new propane bbq this weekend. I have been out of the game for a while now.

Go $249 home depot special?

Or spend $5-$600 on a weber?

I have made the mistake of letting them sit out uncovered in the past and that seems to really speed up the decaying process so I will buy a cover and probably keep in my garage.

My dad is always buying cheap then expensive grills and then cheap again and they all fall apart IMO when left out.

I try to cover mine, but by the time it cools down you usually forget, plus all the beer consumption doesn't help.

The only thing i tend to look at are the features and that just comes down to what you like to do with your grill IMO. And I'm guessing the more you research, the higher the cost when you return home with a grill.

The last propane grill I bought was a weber and I like it. It seems to hold us reasonably well. I'd recommend either waiting until the end of "grill season" if you can or searching the used markets (facebook and craigslist). There can be some pretty decent deals on used webers.

Kamado Joe or Green Egg. Food tastes infinitely better on it compared to propane. And it will last forever.

I've peeked at the green eggs before and wasn't interested but I don't remember why? Price point possibly? I'll look again

Have you looked at the Pellet Grills? We picked up a portable Louisiana Grill after seeing the roadshow at Costco.

https://louisiana-grills.com/collec...ls-300-black-label-portable-wood-pellet-grill

I paid $350

Lousiana Grills is about mid-level in the Pellet Grill space. Traeger used to be good, but I have heard some bad reviews.

Memphis Grills look nice, but I purchased a Fire Magic Grill for the home BBQ Island a while back and that thing will probably last another 15 years!

You can even get a Weber for $1300

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-SmokeFire-EX6-Wood-Fired-Pellet-Grill/5001374995?user=shopping

My weber has the best burner control I've used on a gas grill. It actually has a temperature range. Cheaper grills seem to just go straight between Off and "fires of hell"/700°F and make it a lot more difficult to cook through without burning the surface. I can do a steak like that (because it's dang near raw inside anyway) but I want some temperature control if I'm doing pork or poultry.

Reactions: P man
Have you looked at the Pellet Grills? We picked up a portable Louisiana Grill after seeing the roadshow at Costco.

https://louisiana-grills.com/collec...ls-300-black-label-portable-wood-pellet-grill

I paid $350

Lousiana Grills is about mid-level in the Pellet Grill space. Traeger used to be good, but I have heard some bad reviews.

Memphis Grills look nice, but I purchased a Fire Magic Grill for the home BBQ Island a while back and that thing will probably last another 15 years!

You can even get a Weber for $1300

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-SmokeFire-EX6-Wood-Fired-Pellet-Grill/5001374995?user=shopping

@cliffish was considering one of those Costco rigs.

I can't see ever going back to propane, BGE and MAK user, other than our portable camp grill but if that's what you want then I believe you get what you pay for.

I think I've got a problem with hoarding small grills/stoves. I have a lot of different ways to cook from the sun to diesel.

I like smoke in my grills. The pellet ones are ok, but I don't think they sear well enough, so imo you need something else to go with it. I'm a huge fan of stuff with cold smoking. I do like charcoal/wood, but I'm not good at controlling them. Most of my grills/stoves are mobile, but my smoker and pellet grill I mostly keep at the house.

One of these days I'm building a smoke shack to make country hams and stuff like my grand dad used to. I'd also like a nice temp controlled butchering area and maybe one to mess with dry aging of my game meat. I'd love to just skin the animal and hang it and cut off what I want, when I want it.

had a few propane grills in my life and 1 tied into the houses natural gas sys....................i prefer charcoal.

I re-jetted my Fire Magic to natural gas and ran a gas line to it when we installed the pool.
IT IS SO NICE to never run out of propane. Sorry, Hank.

My suggestion would be a cast aluminum grill, I have a Ducane that is over 25 years old and after 2 burner replacements and a couple of new grates it still gets the job done. I have a Hasty Bake charcoal grill as well as a Primo ceramic smoker that I use most of the time but the Ducane comes out when its cold or I don't want to fool around with the charcoal.

Reactions: P man