Which BBQ should I buy?

FWIW, I manage a hearth and patio store. Doesn't make me an expert, but I'm around this stuff everyday. Of the brands we carry, I like the Napoleon Rogue or Prestige series for the best bang for your buck. The Infrared sear burner they have as an option is fantastic if you love to reverse sear/sous vide steaks and is a lot more useful than the regular side burner that you never use. Great warranty

Weber did a great job on their new remodeled genesis line, though you may be able to find some people clearing out the outgoing Genesis II line (we just sold our last one on sale). Fantastic Warranty & customer service.

Weber also makes some of their charcoal grills with a gas ignition system, which is handy. Their Summit S6 is bigger and has an insulated firebowl and lid, trying to give you the better performance like the ceramic kamado grills.

I have an everdure gas grill that I really like. The head is removable and becomes a portable grill. I leave a cast iron griddle, teppanyaki plate, and regular grate in it all the time (most grills have options for griddle plates now too, instead of buying a seperate blackstone).

My Favorite grills are the Primo grills. You're talking a higher price point still, and they're charcoal instead of gas, but they'll last FOREVER (26+ year warranty). The food just tastes better! The oval shape gives you a lot more versatility over the Green Egg (which I still have and love), but unless you're competition cooking, the round shape doesn't buy you anything. The thing that BGE does better than Primo is outsourcing production to Mexico, and they're a fantastic marketing company.

Primos are made here in the states. Weber genesis and charcoal grills are made here, Pellet and spirit lines are made overseas. Napoleon are made in Canada.

No matter who you go with, pay attention to the warranty. You're not just paying for better quality with the more expensive grills, but also the better warranty!

I've had Weber Kettle, Webber Smokey Mountain, cheap propane etc etc. I currently have a very expensive propane and a Kamado Joe. If I had to start over: pellet grill.

By the way, the manufacturer of my very expensive propane grill refused to honor their "lifetime warranty".

Weber also makes some of their charcoal grills with a gas ignition system, which is handy.
I added a gas ignition system to my BGE, it's also handy in the garage or on the 4th of July ;)

1657916905539.png

I've had Weber Kettle, Webber Smokey Mountain, cheap propane etc etc. I currently have a very expensive propane and a Kamado Joe. If I had to start over: pellet grill.

By the way, the manufacturer of my very expensive propane grill refused to honor their "lifetime warranty".

I have a Green Mountain Pellet grill. I like it, but it's the least versatile of the grills. Pellet "Grill" is really a bit of a misnomer, they're really more smokers. They're great at that, and the most set and forget. Virtually as easy as having a smokey oven outside.

Do you mind me asking what propane grill you had (feel free to DM me if you'd like). Being in the industry, it's always good to know people's experiences. A lot of folks too will advertise "Lifetime Warranty", which is really "Lifetime warranty on defects on certain parts, and then 10 year on body/hood, 3 year on burners/grates, etc.

As someone with gas, charcoal, and pellet, my gas gets used the most, and primarily during the week. Primo/Egg are used the most on the weekends. That's just my experience. As a store, we sell 4:2:1 Gas:Charcoal:pellet. We haven't ventured into the entry level pellet grills. If we did, I'd suspect that ratio would change. There isn't really any one type of grill that's the best, it's all about which feature set matches up the most with your needs/wants.

My little Lousiana Pellet grill doesn't get nearly as hot as the Firemagic for any kind of searing.

But several of their grills have a drip plate that can slide to expose the firebox. I've used that with some success to blacken/sear burgers and salmon. Mine is MUCH MUCH smaller than this large grill. This one is actually pretty impressive.

I bought a masterbuilt gravity series 560 a couple of years ago. Every year stores like to drop the price a lot to clear the shelves. I found one open box at a local walmart. I think they had it listed for $300 regularly $500. brickseek is a good website that will give you the current inventory and the actual price on the shelf. I offered him $150 and they accepted. I purchased the 3 year protection plan because 1) it's a masterbuilt so I'd be surprised it lasted 3 years 2) the protection plan is based on purchase price so it was only $34.

It's similar to pellet cooking where you can set the temperature and walk away. It can go over 700 F if you want to sear.

if your just cooking steaks and burger type stuff and not wanting to cook briskets and boston butt's look at a blackstone ! and its great for stir fry, breakfast and a lot of other stuff. it just wont smoke meats ! but does about anything a grille will !!!!

Reactions: Macrosill and P man
I am an amatuer compared to some of you guys..dogs, burgers and maybe some veggies

Last edited:
They have SO much Blackstone stuff at Lowes. My brother just picked up one. I 'tried' to cook a burger on it. It was meh, I prefer a normal grill to a flat top for burgers.

The Blackstone is super easy to clean and you can do a dozen different things on it (Eggs, pancakes, veggies, quesadilla, etc.)

I have one of these for our RV and something similar at home:

flat.jpg

Reactions: P man
I am am amatuer compared to some of you guys..dogs, burgers and maybe some veggies

if thats what your cooking you will love a blackstone ! get a 36in you can always leave 1 or 2 burners off. had mine for about 4 years now, and carry it camping for 2 months every year. if it rusts you just sand it down and reseason it. I've had to do it once. only thing it doesn't cook good is johnsonville italian sausages type because of the curve in them !

Reactions: P man
They have SO much Blackstone stuff at Lowes. My brother just picked up one. I 'tried' to cook a burger on it. It was meh, I prefer a normal grill to a flat top for burgers.

The Blackstone is super easy to clean and you can do a dozen different things on it (Eggs, pancakes, veggies, quesadilla, etc.)

I have one of these for our RV and something similar at home:

View attachment 343284

man, everybody loves my burgers on it. i cook on high, throw em on sprinkle some TONY's on it cook about 5 min. flip sprinkle and finish it off. many times I cook for up to 7 people and always get compliments on my blackstone and many have ran out and got themselves one. had a friend and his wife come to my camp one evening for steak and parm crusted shrimp . she made him stop on the way home and buy one !

man, everybody loves my burgers on it. i cook on high, throw em on sprinkle some TONY's on it cook about 5 min. flip sprinkle and finish it off. many times I cook for up to 7 people and always get compliments on my blackstone and many have ran out and got themselves one. had a friend and his wife come to my camp one evening for steak and parm crusted shrimp . she made him stop on the way home and buy one !

What if a guy wants a steak that's char broiled/burnt edges etc..im guessing a Blackstone isn't going to do that? Or will it?

Do you mind me asking what propane grill you had (feel free to DM me if you'd like). Being in the industry, it's always good to know people's experiences. A lot of folks too will advertise "Lifetime Warranty", which is really "Lifetime warranty on defects on certain parts, and then 10 year on body/hood, 3 year on burners/grates, etc.

My Solaire grill is part of my custom outdoor kitchen, I used to sell/build them. They refused to honor their lifetime warranty on this firebox. I found a workaround but many people don't have that kind of access.

IMG_8118.JPG

I have had all sorts of gas grills. For a gas grill I have found nothing better than a weber. You can find them everywhere, great warranty and customer service as well as easy to find replacement parts.

My current inventory is 4 Webers, a UDS, a 36" Blackstone griddle, 22" Blackstone griddle and a pellet grill. The Webers consist of a 6 burner Summit, 4 burner Summit, Baby Q 2000 and a 22" Kettle. The 22" Blackstone and Baby Q are in the RV. The rest are on the deck and patio.

Wifey says I have a problem.

I have had all sorts of gas grills. For a gas grill I have found nothing better than a weber. You can find them everywhere, great warranty and customer service as well as easy to find replacement parts.

My current inventory is 4 Webers, a UDS, a 36" Blackstone and a pellet grill. The Webers consist of a 6 burner Summit, 4 burner Summit, Baby Q 2000 and a 22" Kettle.

i use a kettle for smoking briskets or boston butts !

Since adding the MAK pellet pooper the BGE is used more as a grill than a smoker. It’s a damn good grill.