Which code reader should I buy?

I just bought the best one with the most features auto zone had and it works fine, but I think the wireless module (Bluetooth I think) ones that link to a laptop or phone offer a lot of features and flexibility along with better graphics and the ability to display more functions at the same time look to be more useful and easier to monitor live data driving the vehicle. Can’t offer a recommendation on which of those as best but I’m envious watching them being used.

I bought the "upper medium grade" from Harbor Bomber. How it compares with anything else I have no idea, but its nice and seemed to offer more bang for the buck at the time.

Reactions: Ericict
I guess I should have been a bit more specific.
I had the P0700 code come up.
The Powertrain Diagnostic Procedures manual says that there is a DTC stored in the TCM.
How do I read the DTC that is stored?

They are probably a bit different but mine has a button labeled DTC, freeze frame data, the down (or up) arrow key moves from screen to screen. my info’s fairly basic the blue cube (I think that was the one) on Amazon claims to have a list of DTC codes and other related information the down side on that one is it only pairs with one device if you change/break the phone/tablet/laptop you have to buy a new reader.

I use this one with the Torque Pro App:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGB4873/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I use it daily to monitor various parameters on my TJ. I originally bought it when my Wife's KL had a CEL. Works very well and was only $20 for the dongle and $5 for Torque Pro.

Screenshot_20201113-101209_Torque[1].jpg
Screenshot_20201113-100829_Torque[1].jpg
Screenshot_20201113-100836_Torque[1].jpg

Reactions: 1515art
97s are obii, why wouldnt a code reader work? FWIW--the shots above are from my 97.

Hmm. FIrst time Ive heard such a thing. My obii port was able to display a code on an Orielly reader a number of years ago and works daily with my vgate reader.
I've never had a problem reading and clearing codes on my '97 either. I use a VeePeak wifi obd2 scanner with various free iOS apps (I've yet to find one I really like).

Never heard of a code reader not working on a '97/98/99 TJ. Though those years display two digit codes in the odometer, a code reader would display them as the later equivalent P0000 4-digit codes.

Never heard of a code reader not working on a '97/98/99 TJ. Though those years display two digit codes in the odometer, a code reader would display them as the later equivalent P0000 4-digit codes.

Yep, I've heard one or two 97 owners say that they don't have OBD. I also find it interesting that my 97 FSM doesn't use the terms OBD-I or OBD-II at all, but only talks about Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).

Maybe it was very early 97s, manufactured in early 96, that don't have OBD? Another quick of the 97s?

Yep, I've heard one or two 97 owners say that they don't have OBD. I also find it interesting that my 97 FSM doesn't use the terms OBD-I or OBD-II at all, but only talks about Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).

Maybe it was very early 97s, manufactured in early 96, that don't have OBD? Another quick of the 97s?
If it has a 16 pin DLC it’s obd2.

My '97 doesn't have issues reading codes. I have OBDII.

I had one of the very first '97 TJs manufactured 3/96 and its onboard code reader worked fine.

Reactions: SSTJ