Which coil springs are the softest for a lifted TJ?

BigDan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Installed new Rubicon coil springs on my regular LJ ,
Same length but bigger wire
Result, lost the soft ride but gaiined an inch in height ,
I’m looking for moderate lift coil springs but with soft ride , similar wire size to original but longer in length
Does it exist ?
Thanks
Dan,

Go to a better riding shock which is what affects the ride the most. Springs are there to support the Jeep and affect the ride only a little, shocks are what primarily control the ride.

Reactions: SSTJ and D M
It’s all about the shock in terms of ride quality. As far as TJ springs go, none of them are going to have anything to do with whether your ride is firm or soft.

Reactions: SSTJ
Go to a better riding shock which is what affects the ride the most. Springs are there to support the Jeep and affect the ride only a little, shocks are what primarily control the ride.
Jerry ,
kept the original shocks ,,,,just changed the coil springs,
Had cushy ride before I changed to Rubicon coils,( bigger wire diameter )
The schocks are still in great shape

Reactions: srimes
So switching springs changes the ride of the shocks? How?
It is almost impossible to change springs without also changing ride height. If you were running a shock that was biased towards too much uptravel with a lot of shaft showing and the new spring adds ride height, there is a very high likelihood that bumps that moved the shock the same as before are now bottoming out on extension and trying to yank the axle off the ground. That will be perceived as degradation in ride quality and attributed to the springs when the reality is it is nothing more than fucked up shock bias.

If Big D would derive a way to put his ride back at the same ride height as before the spring swap, he would discover just exactly how that works. In fact if he wanted to learn something, he could go remove the rear shocks and go for a short test drive upon which he would discover just how soft and squishy his "too firm" springs really are.

He won't because almost no one ever does because that means they have to earn their knowledge the hard way and that is just too fucking hard when you can get on the internet and tell folks they are wrong instead.

I’m looking for moderate lift coil springs but with soft ride , similar wire size to original but longer in length
Does it exist ?
Thanks
Dan,

The springs themselves did not (and cannot) change your ride quality. When you changed springs, the ride height changed and you likely changed the travel bias (ie uptravel vs down travel) in your existing shocks and that is what changed how the Jeep rides. Reduced uptravel will make your Jeep not feel very good in very short order depending on how much you had to start with.

If you were happy with your ride height with the original springs, put them back and see if you need to get new shocks. Focus completely on shocks if you want to improve ride quality.

Reactions: SSTJ
Did the ride height change? Do you know that the amount of exposed shock shaft at ride height is the same now as it was before the spring change? Do you even know how much shaft was showing with the old springs? :rolleyes:
Ok let’s put a point here
Been in jeeps since 1978
Been in performance (engines & suspension) since 1973
I own a shop : Properformance
I went to university in physics

I think iI know that having 1) same shocks 2); wire size being bigger means more resistance to movement 3) the heght barely gained an inch

I asked if there is some coil springs with same wire diameter then regular coils but longer length , this way I would gain height without harshing the ride ( same resistance to movement

Thanks

Been in jeeps since 1978

I think iI know that having 1) same shocks 2); wire size being bigger means more resistance to movement 3) the heght barely gained an inch

I asked if there is some coil springs with same wire diameter then regular coils but longer length , this way I would gain height without harshing the ride ( same resistance to movement

Thanks
Sri, this is exactly what we discussed. Now you understand why I should know better than to try and teach the ignorant.

Do you have a stock suspension?

Depending on how much uptravel you had before changing springs, the "barely an inch" you mention is enough to fully mess up the ride.

You can buy longer springs if you want to increase the ride height, yes, but why are you focused on the spring as the cause of your current problem?

Last edited:
Reactions: jjvw
200.gif

I’m going to leave a little hint. What word describes this picture?

Been in jeeps since 1978

Thanks
Remove the shocks and go for a drive. Come back and tell us how stiff the new springs really are.

Fwiw, I've done this and it isn't what you expect.

Last edited:
Sri, this is exactly what we discussed. Now you understand why I should know better than to try and teach the ignorant.

One would think these guys would like to prove us wrong. Especially since it would be so easy to do by removing the shocks and going for a short drive.

Reactions: psrivats
One question, exactly (!) what air pressure is in your 35's right now and could anyone have jacked it up when the new springs were installed? If the air pressure was jacked up, perhaps to the air pressure molded onto the sidewall, which is never the correct pressure to run, that could be significantly negatively affecting the ride.

Does it exist ?
Thanks
Dan,
I'm just curious as to which brand or model of Rubicon spring you went with.