Which jack?

So I bought a 48" Hi-Lyft a couple days after I bought my TJ as I thought that was an essential piece of gear and there was no jack with the Jeep. I've since learned that my money would have been better spent elsewhere...live and learn.

For off road tire changes and repairs the suggestion was made to me to purchase one of the bottle jack/jack stand combos with a wide base. Would that be a better option that a OEM bottle jack?
I use those bottle jackstands in the garage. But I just keep the factory jack and a couple pieces of 2x6 in the rig. The combination jack takes up a lot of space and is pretty heavy.

Reactions: Wheeler
Not to be trusted but good enough to change a tire and don't put your body underneath anything
Wouldn't even consider getting underneath.
So I bought a 48" Hi-Lyft a couple days after I bought my TJ as I thought that was an essential piece of gear and there was no jack with the Jeep. I've since learned that my money would have been better spent elsewhere...live and learn.

For off road tire changes and repairs the suggestion was made to me to purchase one of the bottle jack/jack stand combos with a wide base. Would that be a better option that a OEM bottle jack?
Had one on my last JK. Used it exactly once.. to pull a fence post out. Worked great for that, but never found a need for it otherwise.

Not sure I trust the 20 year old OE bottle jack. Looks like it has never been used. Might replace it with an 8 ton or 12 ton hydraulic with an add-on jack pad, hockey puck and wide foot base or 2x6.

The combo units take up way to much precious real estate. Might be useful in the garage.

Reactions: Wheeler
Not sure I trust the 20 year old OE bottle jack.
There is nothing wrong with an old OE bottle jack especially if it looks unused. That's a good thing. if you are trusting it with much of anything you might be using it wrong. I've never seen or heard of a factory Jeep jack failing but I haven't spent too much time looking into it. I get wanting to upgrade and all, if that's it I wont tell your wife.

Wouldn't even consider getting underneath.

Had one on my last JK. Used it exactly once.. to pull a fence post out. Worked great for that, but never found a need for it otherwise.

Not sure I trust the 20 year old OE bottle jack. Looks like it has never been used. Might replace it with an 8 ton or 12 ton hydraulic with an add-on jack pad, hockey puck and wide foot base or 2x6.

The combo units take up way to much precious real estate. Might be useful in the garage.
It's not a bottle jack. It's a mechanical screw jack (at least it should be). If it functions without any bind, it should be GTG.

It's not a bottle jack. It's a mechanical screw jack (at least it should be). If it functions without any bind, it should be GTG.
Yep.. mentioned this above. Figured out that it isn’t hydraulic..

It’s shaped like a bottle so I’m ok calling it a bottle Jack!
There is nothing wrong with an old OE bottle jack especially if it looks unused. That's a good thing. if you are trusting it with much of anything you might be using it wrong. I've never seen or heard of a factory Jeep jack failing but I haven't spent too much time looking into it. I get wanting to upgrade and all, if that's it I wont tell your wife.

Haven’t had time to try it but I will. No real desire to ‘upgrade’ it if it works. I really only want to be able to change a tire if needed. I do think the add on pad from Safe Jack is a good addition.

I got bored one day and set out to find another suitable jack for my tj. I found this Toyota Land Cruiser jack for cheap and it goes about 3 inches higher and has way less slop. I wouldn’t bother with a hydraulic bottle jack because they always seem to leak after a few uses. The last thing anyone wants is a big greasy spot in their Jeep.

A3E22DF1-34E6-4175-ACDA-2019A3CED0A3.jpeg

AFC8AF77-B77B-47FE-965B-083AC027A276.jpeg

I have a hi-lift jack. I carry a hi-lift jack. I use a hi-lift jack. I've been doing that forever.

With that being said, a hi-lift jack is both unnecessary and dangerous. It is also awkward to use. Buy some fuzzy dice instead. Those are both lighter and safer.
But, if your Jeep already has a hi lift from the previous owner, put it on the hood, it’s out of the way and you can show it off a bit.

P.S. Here's a pic I took years ago of my OE jack holding my 35" tire several inches off the ground. Yes my garage has indoor-outdoor carpeting in it. :)

View attachment 1585

I'm looking for the tools to connect to this type of jack. Anyone know where I might locate replacements? Under passenger seat I've found the jack and the lug nut end but don't have any of the in between pieces. Unless they're hidden somewhere else?

Wow dual necro post. Once from 2015 and once from 2021. Good topic to keep rolling, I guess.

So when I had a driveshaft that wouldn’t come apart a friend suggested I use the hi-lift to try to separate it since that’s what he did. I could not get it to work at all, so I broke out the bottle jack, removed the Welch plug, tossed a socket in that end and strapped/chained it up and it worked like a champ. To speed things up a bit I put a flat wood drill bit in a cordless drill and it pulled it apart super fast

912CEEE7-3FFD-4276-84FA-E395EB5C2C79.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: MikekiM
Hmmmm, is there a long extension…. I don’t think there is but could be wrong. How long are you thinking it should be, I don’t remember it being ping like I have seen in other vehicles.

Hmmmm, is there a long extension…. I don’t think there is but could be wrong. How long are you thinking it should be, I don’t remember it being ping like I have seen in other vehicles.

Well I know I don't have the end that fits to the jack. Based on the used kits on ebay, looks like there may be two rods (one that connects to jack, and the other to extend it out from under vehicle). I don't own one....yet so not sure. Looks like the GMC jack tool kit might fit but still researching a bit (they're definitely cheaper than used Jeep ones).

If you have a place to store it in your jeep, you can make your own one-piece crank. I made this one for a Toyota jack (better built than my Mopar one which permanently jammed). I just bought a 3/8" x 48" steel rod and heated/bent it. The hook end on the Jeep one is different from the Toyota one.

Toyota_Jack_and_Handle.jpg

HiLift is great!

My buddy bought a harbor Freight One.

Works great!

Pulled out 3 stumps so far.

Doesnt own a jeep!

I also carry a small jack stand.

to go with 2 bottle jacks.

There is a winch for winching.

Unfortunately i am now too old to get twisted up!