which joint to choose

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I happened up on a used pair of rear adjustable upper control arms and bought them. They are the rough country arms with X-flex joints. They are 1 5/8 ID and 1/4" - 28 pitch . So just to refresh them i call RC and had them ship me 2 repair kits so the contents inside the joints will be new. SO this is a two part question.( as usual ) . There are several types of joints heim, xflex, johnny and more im sure. i asked RC what size the shank was and they gave me this.(RH DDJ JNT 1 1/4 IN -12)

1. Which is the best or most effective joint or are they all of equal value.
2. can any of these joints be screwed into the control arm I just bought ,(of course as long as the thread and size fit the control arm.
thanks

Last edited:
1) Not all joints are created equally...not even close. Currie's Johnny Joints are the industry leader in my opinion. The only thing that is close to the is Metalcloaks duroflex joint.
2) If the shank on the joint is the same size as the threads on your control arms, then yes you could just buy some JJ's, screw them in, and call it done. But I have no idea what size shank your CA's take.

1) Not all joints are created equally...not even close. Currie's Johnny Joints are the industry leader in my opinion. The only thing that is close to the is Metalcloaks duroflex joint.
2) If the shank on the joint is the same size as the threads on your control arms, then yes you could just buy some JJ's, screw them in, and call it done. But I have no idea what size shank your CA's take.
I up dated the size from RC

It depends upon what the shank size is. JJ's come in a couple sizes, get the measuring tape out and measure the shank. If a pre-assembled joint won't thread in, you can possibly buy a JJ rebuild kit in the same size as the joint barrel and replace the joint itself.

Just saw you're from Mississippi. Glad to see another MS jeeper on here, pretty rare to see someone from here on the forums.

Last edited:
yep, im up in north west Mississippi close to Oxford.
Around Holly Springs area? I've got an uncle up that way. I graduated from Ole Miss in 2015 and my wife is finishing up her degree there this semester. I'm in Hattiesburg right now, but I'm originally from the Coast.

I can't find any JJ's or MC joints that have a 1 1/4" shank with a 2" housing. Might try calling Currie and/or Metalcloak today and asking them about your options. If you just want a quick easy fix, check out their websites and see if you can afford a set of arms.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
Im from Batesville, MS
i was at Ole Miss many years ago. ha Metalcloak had nothing to fit the RCs. they say their joint only fits their stuff . best is to buy new probably. Ill call Currie. thanks and congrats to your wife!!!

I've taken the Batesville exit off of I-55 many, many times. And thanks! We're both pretty excited for her to finish up.

You can't go wrong with the JJ or MC duroflex. Personally, I'd go with Savvy's arms that use the JJ if it was my jeep: http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/Savvy-...e-Rear-Upper-Control-Arms-TJ-LJ-CE-9103SA.htm

Gerald is a great guy to deal with. His products and customer service are second to none.

in talking to Currie , they have a joint that will work for the RC control arm but it appears to be identical to the RC joint.

The Johnny Joint has some imitators, but none of them are equal to the JJ. With that said, I wasn't aware that currie sold any joints other than the JJ and heim's (for the antirock) for TJ applications.

The Currie Johnny Joint is in my opinion (and many's opinion as well) the best joint you can get, hands down.

It costs a bit more, but it's also rebuildable, and they've very easy to re-build.

In addition to that, they perform extremely well both on-road and off-road.

I wouldn't even put Rough Country up as a contender against a Johnny Joint... It's not even remotely close.

Do you have a link to the Currie joint that will work for the RC control arm?

The Currie Johnny Joint is in my opinion (and many's opinion as well) the best joint you can get, hands down.

It costs a bit more, but it's also rebuildable, and they've very easy to re-build.

In addition to that, they perform extremely well both on-road and off-road.

I wouldn't even put Rough Country up as a contender against a Johnny Joint... It's not even remotely close.
Chris, not taking up for RC, but the have a johnny joint in their adjustable control arms , now from other opinions I agree that Currie is the originator for the johnny joint but take a look at the RC johnny joint repair kit .

i looked at their repair kit and i also have the RC repair kit and in the currie picture it looks to be the same
They do look very close to being the same. But I can assure you they are not equivalent in quality. @mrblaine has addressed this many times in thread on other forums.

And make sure that 2.5" JJ will fit in the stock mount. I was under the impression that all stock mounts were 2.5", but I've been wrong before.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee