1. Forum decals are here! Visit this thread to order your Wrangler TJ Forum decal!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum t-shirts are here! Get yours by clicking here for colored logo shirts or clicking here for black and white logo shirts.

If you support the forum and would like a cool shirt, be sure to order one! As always, the small amount of profit I make off of these goes to paying operational expenses for the forum. Trust me, I'm not getting rich off this.

Dismiss Notice

Which radiator for the 4.0

Discussion in 'New South Wales' started by Fourbbro, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Fourbbro

Fourbbro New Member

So my radiator is on its way out. It overheats on the freeway only. A radiator place told me is blocked. There is a bit of crap stuck to it on the inside. Since I've done the thermostat, top hose and water pump, it's the last thing to try and stop the overheating. What have you guys bought? Full aluminium? Are they any good? I know you get what you pay for but $600 au for a stock one is a bit pricey! $230 au on ebay looks good but which one?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  2. Kiwi TJ

Kiwi TJ TJ Enthusiast

When I replaced my radiator (and every TJ will have too at some stage) I had similar thoughts..Over here a stock Chrysler one was $1,000.00....I almost fell over haha. Ended up reading a few forums about which way to go, finally decide that brass core was the way to go as the Aluminium just wouldn't last on my daily driver...plus there easy to fit yourself.

3. Fourbbro

Fourbbro New Member

I've been researching today and people are saying that aluminium lasts longer. Not sure which way to go.

4. Kiwi TJ

Kiwi TJ TJ Enthusiast

Yep this is what I'm saying.o_O..I went on the advice from a mechanic friend of mine in the end, saying brass core lasts longer...maybe its because the aluminum ones here in NZ are cheap ones from China....had mine in for almost 4 years and my temp gauge still reads about 11 o'clock on the dial (even in heavy traffic and high temps)

Fourbbro likes this.
  5. I might be too late on this but the brass radiators are better in the long run. The aluminium radiators are a little hit and miss. Having said that the ally ones are only $230 so I've fitted an ally one in my jeep recently and so far so good. My jeep only gets driven on weekends. I think you'll be ok going with the ally one unless you're a serious offroader