Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else?!

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters

MichaelGH

Hemi ‘97
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello everyone. First post here. Looking for advice/opinions...

My TJ is a 1997. Originally a 2.5 liter 4-cylinder. Now a 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE transmission, 4.10 gears and 33x12.50 tires. I am looking to build/buy a rear differential that I can trust. My current Dana 35 is on borrowed time. It’s always been as I broke it with the 2.5 liter and 31” tires. I also broke some teeth on gears in the 31-spline 8.8 I built for it. I am into road trips and overlanding. No matter what I chose it will be 60.50” width...

I do not want to Super35 my current rear. I loathe the thought of putting money/more money into it...

My grandma lives in Milan!

I think for your internet wheeling, all the options are acceptable and price would be a big deciding factor.

While a 60 would be nice, It doesn’t sound necessary for your intended use. I voted for the ECGS Dana 44 for size/weight and easy to find replacement parts for.

I voted for the hi 9 option. Other than the low pinion, a 9 inch is a great choice. With a double cardan joint, you may not need a hi pinion depending on your lift. That would save a bunch of money and be plenty strong.

I'd go with a factory Dana 44 out of another TJ. They should be easy enough to find, less expensive than something aftermarket, and with 33" tires, it will be plenty strong for your described uses. Add a set of Chro-Mo shafts for the V8 and you'll be golden.

My grandma lives in Milan!

I think for your internet wheeling, all the options are acceptable and price would be a big deciding factor.
I drive around Milan twice a day. Small world!

Ive been saving for this project so it will come down to best overall choice. If price was driving me I would have never put a Hemi in it. Goodness it wasn’t cheap, and that’s doing it all myself, lol...

While a 60 would be nice, It doesn’t sound necessary for your intended use. I voted for the ECGS Dana 44 for size/weight and easy to find replacement parts for.
I was thinking along those same lines you mentioned. Turns out the Currie 60 is truly a bolt in. Even clearing the gas tank skid. The price is the hard part, lol...

Reactions: TWiG01 and Wildman
I voted for the hi 9 option. Other than the low pinion, a 9 inch is a great choice. With a double cardan joint, you may not need a hi pinion depending on your lift. That would save a bunch of money and be plenty strong.
An 8 3/4 Mopar or a low pinion 9” were actually my first choices. The problem is the drivetrain is so long it makes the rear driveshaft very short. With my torque it eats u-joints. I thought maybe a seriously heavy duty high pinion like the Currie 60 or the Tru Hi9 would solve that. Both companies say they will live in my TJ...

I'd go with a factory Dana 44 out of another TJ. They should be easy enough to find, less expensive than something aftermarket, and with 33" tires, it will be plenty strong for your described uses. Add a set of Chro-Mo shafts for the V8 and you'll be golden.
All the TJ Dana 44s around here are either bent from wrecks or $1,200+ for one that I’d need to upgrade shafts, gears and probably differential. By the time I’d be done I could just about buy a brand new bolt in ECGS 489 Dana 44. Crazy how costs add up so quickly...

Yes, because every overlander needs a 2500 dollar third member.

• Haha
Reactions: pc1p and Chris
Yes, pretty much all he needs and then some.

Reactions: pc1p
All the TJ Dana 44s around here are either bent from wrecks or $1,200+ for one that I’d need to upgrade shafts, gears and probably differential. By the time I’d be done I could just about buy a brand new bolt in ECGS 489 Dana 44. Crazy how costs add up so quickly...
Don't know what axle ratio you need, but this appears to be a Rubicon Rear axle...840 dollars plus 240 for the ride

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=313006329494

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
An 8 3/4 Mopar or a low pinion 9” were actually my first choices. The problem is the drivetrain is so long it makes the rear driveshaft very short. With my torque it eats u-joints. I thought maybe a seriously heavy duty high pinion like the Currie 60 or the Tru Hi9 would solve that. Both companies say they will live in my TJ...
The way we know you have never messed with Tru Hi9 is that it is one of your choices. Had you messed with them, it would not have been. Miserable company, far too expensive.

Reactions: pc1p and Chris
Reactions: Wildman
Glad to see you have a handle on the math.

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition
The way we know you have never messed with Tru Hi9 is that it is one of your choices. Had you messed with them, it would not have been. Miserable company, far too expensive.
$3,000 to my door, yes very expensive. All the reading I have done says they are extremely strong. I was hoping the research I’ve done was true...