Which RS5000X shocks for 2.5 inch lift?

Rancho`s run a bit longer, however your selections seems to be fine. Make sure that you cycle your suspension to adjust bump stop right.

Rancho`s run a bit longer, however your selections seems to be fine. Make sure that you cycle your suspension to adjust bump stop right.
From personal experience yes they do tend to run longer than they should according to what Rancho says. With a 2.5" lift I personally would go for their 0-2" size.

Ideally you support the Jeep by the frame, remove the springs, and then cycle the suspension up/down to the limits and measure but for basic small lift like yours I'd go for the 0-2" size.

Reactions: Dcook65
I have 2.5" springs and opted for the 2-3" lift Rancho RS500X shocks and 1" bump stop extensions. They do not bottom out at full stuff and actually appear to be limiting useful droop (i.e. springs still in compression) a little bit. YMMV, but I would recommend sticking with the 2-3" lift shocks. Good luck with your decision.

I have 2.5" springs and opted for the 2-3" lift Rancho RS500X shocks and 1" bump stop extensions. They do not bottom out at full stuff and actually appear to be limiting useful droop (i.e. springs still in compression) a little bit. YMMV, but I would recommend sticking with the 2-3" lift shocks. Good luck with your decision.

When I had mine on with 1" of bump stop I had 4.5" of exposed travel and 5" between the bump stop and the cup .. meaning the shock would bottom out before the bump stop. Not ideal.

I have 2 1/2" OME springs. Ordered the 0-2" Ranchos from info learned here. They ended up being an almost perfect 50/50 at ride height. Like within 1/2" from perfect 50/50. So I would definitely recommend them for your Jeep.

I have 2 1/2" OME springs. Ordered the 0-2" Ranchos from info learned here. They ended up being an almost perfect 50/50 at ride height. Like within 1/2" from perfect 50/50. So I would definitely recommend them for your Jeep.
Glad I came across this thread. I was all set to install my ranchos for 2-3” lift tomorrow but will be processing the amazon exchange instead. Measuring the springs it looks like the previous owner installed a 2” or 2.5” lift. Either way, it sounds like I need to go with the shorter shocks.

Thanks as always for the info!!

Reactions: JMT and CodaMan
Triple check your settings. It is often that one TJ set up with the same lift can take a different shock. Try to find shock longer at ride height, full up and full down.

I'm not s
Triple check your settings. It is often that one TJ set up with the same lift can take a different shock. Try to find shock longer at ride height, full up and full down.
I'm not sure what you mean. What should I be checking for?

I emailed Rancho and they recommend the RS55239/RS55241 (shocks for 2"-3" lift).
Several people on this forum recommend against these and suggest the shorter (0"-2")

I'm at a loss trying to figure out which ones to go with. I've been reading about cycling the suspension, measuring bump for proper bump stops, etc. and I think I'm more confused now then before.

Reactions: Sancho
I'm not s

I'm not sure what you mean. What should I be checking for?

I emailed Rancho and they recommend the RS55239/RS55241 (shocks for 2"-3" lift).
Several people on this forum recommend against these and suggest the shorter (0"-2")

I'm at a loss trying to figure out which ones to go with. I've been reading about cycling the suspension, measuring bump for proper bump stops, etc. and I think I'm more confused now then before.
It's worth the time to cycle your suspension. There is no one answer. Each Jeep has variables which is why you are recieving conflicting information. Cycle the suspension and adjust your bump stops to avoid the first interference. Measure for shocks and you will be set up with the correct parts.
For reference I installed the RS55239 on my LJ with just over 2.5" of lift. It requires 2" bumps stops to keep the tires out of the fenders when cycling the suspension. This makes the front Rancho 2-3" recommendation correct for me. Your Jeep may be different. If you need 2" of bump stop you would be losing an inch of travel with the shorter shocks. If you can operate with less bump stop then the shorter shocks would be a better choice. Clear as mud, right?😁

Reactions: CodaMan
It's worth the time to cycle your suspension. There is no one answer. Each Jeep has variables which is why you are recieving conflicting information. Cycle the suspension and adjust your bump stops to avoid the first interference. Measure for shocks and you will be set up with the correct parts.
For reference I installed the RS55239 on my LJ with just over 2.5" of lift. It requires 2" bumps stops to keep the tires out of the fenders when cycling the suspension. This makes the front Rancho 2-3" recommendation correct for me. Your Jeep may be different. If you need 2" of bump stop you would be losing an inch of travel with the shorter shocks. If you can operate with less bump stop then the shorter shocks would be a better choice. Clear as mud, right?😁
yup...clear as mud (lol)

Actually everything you and the others said makes total sense. As this is my first Jeep, I've come to the realization that the only time there are two or more identical Jeeps is when the leave the factory.

I'm going to attempt to cycle the suspension and see where I am before doing anything else but I also had another idea. Would it be feasible to remove my existing RC 2.2 performance shocks that were installed with the lift kit by the PO and compare their compressed and extended lengths to the listed specs of the ranchos? If I can identify a matching length on whatever set of ranchos, would that be a safe way to determine what I need? I know this is taking the leap of faith that the PO wasn't a hack but from what I can tell, there isn't an issue with my current setup being too long or too short.

yup...clear as mud (lol)

Actually everything you and the others said makes total sense. As this is my first Jeep, I've come to the realization that the only time there are two or more identical Jeeps is when the leave the factory.

I'm going to attempt to cycle the suspension and see where I am before doing anything else but I also had another idea. Would it be feasible to remove my existing RC 2.2 performance shocks that were installed with the lift kit by the PO and compare their compressed and extended lengths to the listed specs of the ranchos? If I can identify a matching length on whatever set of ranchos, would that be a safe way to determine what I need? I know this is taking the leap of faith that the PO wasn't a hack but from what I can tell, there isn't an issue with my current setup being too long or too short.
You could measure the shocks but it wouldn't tell you what you truly need. What length bump stop did the PO install?

...Would it be feasible to remove my existing RC 2.2 performance shocks that were installed with the lift kit by the PO and compare their compressed and extended lengths to the listed specs of the ranchos? If I can identify a matching length on whatever set of ranchos, would that be a safe way to determine what I need? ...

You would be assuming that the PO had it setup correctly.

Last edited:
In my TJ I only needed 1" bump to keep tires clear (every tire is slightly taller/shorter and backspacing can also effect contact. That is why you should cycle your suspension. Springs and shocks pulled, tires you intend to run mounted and bolted up.

Reactions: CodaMan
You could measure the shocks but it wouldn't tell you what you truly need. What length bump stop did the PO install?
It doesn’t look like the previous owner changed the bump stops. I’ll check when I get home tonight and send some pics to be sure but they look like they were the original stops

BD365CF2-7293-4F5A-AB13-44DC99419380_1_105_c.jpeg
F7823C4D-53EC-4E35-939B-7A62152E1560_1_105_c.jpeg

I don't know if you an tell by the pics but the stops appear cracked and worn which lead me to think that they're probably the originals.

View attachment 139285View attachment 139286
I don't know if you an tell by the pics but the stops appear cracked and worn which lead me to think that they're probably the originals.

Im not seeing any bump stop extensions in there, just the jaunce bumper and cup. So I’d guess the PO never adjusted them (or maybe that wasn’t necessary up front).