Which shocks would fit this lift?

JohnMN

Picked up this 98 TJ and want to install some Rancho 5000x shocks this weekend, but don’t know the correct length to get. Previous owner installed a BB which, if I’m measuring correctly, is 1.5”. It also looks like a body lift has been installed, which also measures 1.5”. I’m measuring the part which appears like spacers to me on both pictures. Correct me if I’m wrong and need to measure.

Rancho sells for stock, 2.5”, or 3.5” lift. Which would you suggest I order?

Also, I do plan on removing the budget boost and installing OME 2” light load springs sometime down the road. Would those same length shocks still be appropriate?

359f2e97221945df273a2e02d1e27cb3.jpg
8a344217f3933e4a7f56dd632ccd4c08.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull the springs, cycle the suspension, measure, order appropriate length shocks. What I can tell you is Rancho is generous with their recs, as in, too long for what they say.

You could get by for awhile with the 2-3” Rancho 5000X, but you really will need more than the OME light duty springs for them to be right. Try their heavy duty springs

If I remove the springs, shocks, front sway bar links, I'll have to remove the bump stops the previous owner put in since they are WAY too long - they literally bottom out after an inch. Then with the frame supported, the axle hanging and I cycle the suspension with everything unbolted/removed, do I jack the front axle up until the tires hit the fenders? What about when lowering the axle? Will it stop moving down at a certain point?
Sorry for the newb questions, but I'm a 45 year old newb!

I thought the light duty springs might offer a softer ride. I'm not using it for rock crawling or anything aggressive, pretty dang flat around here. Mainly just making a winter toy and drive some fire roads, minimum maintenance roads. Won't have a winch or big bumpers for the extra weight. Not hardcore like a lot of you! Maybe when I retire in Sedona in a few years I'll build a dedicated rig for that stuff!

I thought the light duty springs might offer a softer ride. I'm not using it for rock crawling or anything aggressive, pretty dang flat around here. Mainly just making a winter toy and drive some fire roads, minimum maintenance roads. Won't have a winch or big bumpers for the extra weight. Not hardcore like a lot of you! Maybe when I retire in Sedona in a few years I'll build a dedicated rig for that stuff!
Springs have very little to no effect on the ride. Select a spring that gives the ride height you want. Then tune the ride with shocks.

Reactions: JMT
Get the OME HD kit and call it a day. For what you’re doing it will suit you great and give you growing room if you want later