Which skid to upgrade?

JoseA

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Wanting to get a new skid if Barnes has a black Friday deal. Wanting to get some input on which skid to upgrade. Should I get a new trans skid or gas tank skid? (currently running stock on both). Which one is more bang for buck?

Reactions: Desert Roamer
Wanting to get a new skid if Barnes has a black Friday deal. Wanting to get some input on which skid to upgrade. Should I get a new trans skid or gas tank skid? (currently running stock on both). Which one is more bang for buck?

Most bang for the buck is to raise a newer 03-06 gas tank skid with a body lift if you don't have one and then get the trans protected. Slice and dice the stock mounting flanges, overlap 1", weld and paint.

Most bang for the buck is to raise a newer 03-06 gas tank skid with a body lift if you don't have one and then get the trans protected. Slice and dice the stock mounting flanges, overlap 1", weld and paint.

that's a pretty good alternative, didn't think of that one. (I do have a body lift so that would work). Do you think you can get away with riveting the pieces together instead of welding them though? I don't have access to a welder.

Since you have a 1.25” BL you could raise the gas tank skid 1.25” to get more clearance. I’d look for a skid with that capability. If Barnes doesn’t offer one you can always modify it like the stock modification to get it up tighter to the tub. Mo clearance = mo better.

Reactions: JoseA
Since you have a 1.25” BL you could raise the gas tank skid 1.25” to get more clearance. I’d look for a skid with that capability. If Barnes doesn’t offer one you can always modify it like the stock modification to get it up tighter to the tub. Mo clearance = mo better.

I'd take a peek over the top of the tank first. Most of them run into the crossmember trying to get that extra 1/4".

Reactions: JMT
Yes on the stock skid, and if your stock skid is rusted through, I think a new one is $104 on Amazon right now.

I didn't realize the 03-06 had so much potential, I though it was no good.

I beat on my 05' skid for several years while on 31's and 33's. It had dents, but when I removed it I beat them out, repainted, and then cut 1" off as described above for added clearance and kept going. I ran it until I went to a Savvy GTS. On my sons white 04' TJ on 33's we removed his stock skid and did the 1" clearance mod. It's still going. My other son has an 05' and he wants an aluminum skid, and the main reason is due to the salt/brine they put on the roads up here, but if he ever gets a 1.25" BL he'll be raising whatever he has. They're decent. I know I beat on mine pretty hard.

Reactions: PNW_LJ and JoseA
Too bad you're not closer, I have a stock '04 gts that I'd give away at this point if someone were to come get it.

Reactions: JMT
that's a pretty good alternative, didn't think of that one. (I do have a body lift so that would work). Do you think you can get away with riveting the pieces together instead of welding them though? I don't have access to a welder.

I cut and overlapped mine by an inch or so and just used a half dozen 1/4" bolts to hold it together. It worked great by pushing the tank up an extra inch.
Never had an issue with it. If you look at a Savvy skid it is overlapped and bolted also.

Reactions: JoseA and JMT
I cut and overlapped mine by an inch or so and just used a half dozen 1/4" bolts to hold it together. It worked great by pushing the tank up an extra inch.
Never had an issue with it. If you look at a Savvy skid it is overlapped and bolted also.

Do you have any pictures of your skid?

I did something similar to what you are suggesting... my tranny is protected... and I raised my belly like more than 2.5 inches with the RC skid plate.... why rought country? because it was damn cheap on ebay while I was looking for skids..... like 160 bucks something like that... no complaints...
1700149666430.png

I have their trans skid and it’s really beefy. Very happy with it

well... 15% off for black friday sales.... go then!