Which steering kit should I go with?

I love the Currie setup as much as the next guy but what I absolutely hate is when their rod ends wear out and get play in them, it's another nearly $400 to replace them.
What? I've been running nothing but Currie's steering for 10+ years on my current TJ and 6-7 years on my previous TJ. Never wore out a rod end. Not even one.

I've been running my used Currie steering longer than the previous two Crown HD steering kits combined. Currie may cost more upfront, but how many other "lesser" kits and pieces will you burn through before you paid for Currie?

With regard to the RE steering, the immediate thing I see is that the tie rod ends are straight, rather than bent to accommodate a 4" lift. These bends on the Currie steering are there to re-align the range of motion of the TREs. The RE will droop into bind long before Currie will.

I went straight to Currie after bending my OEM tie rod on my 1st real ride and it held up relatively well seeing as how much abuse I put it through, I'm just wondering for long term usage if the RE would make more sense in the replacement. I'm 6" lift, too.

What? I've been running nothing but Currie for 10+ years on my current TJ and 6-7 years on my previous TJ. Never wore out a rod end. Not even one.

I know they hold up quite well but how hard are you on your TJ? Mine did great for roughly 3.5 years of pretty hard trail riding / bouncing but ended up getting enough play in both rod ends to death wobble on the road so I retired her for some heims and realized that was a mistake with an Under the Knuckle setup..

I went straight to Currie after bending my OEM tie rod on my 1st real ride and it held up relatively well seeing as how much abuse I put it through, I'm just wondering for long term usage if the RE would make more sense in the replacement. I'm 6" lift, too.

RE doesn't make sense with a 4" lift for the reason I stated. It makes even less sense at 6".

Reactions: Fitz
RE is the last brand I'd think of for a steering system. To replace a Currie? That'd be like replacing a Currie 9" custom axle with a Dana 35.

Reactions: tworley
RE is the last brand I'd think of for a steering system. To replace a Currie? That'd be like replacing a Currie 9" custom axle with a Dana 35.

Dang, is it that bad? That's a mighty bold statement lol I'm just curious and RE seems to be the only other y-link setup besides Currie and its nearly the same price as "refreshing" my old Currie.

I know they hold up quite well but how hard are you on your TJ? Mine did great for roughly 3.5 years of pretty hard trail riding / bouncing but ended up getting enough play in both rod ends to death wobble on the road so I retired her for some heims and realized that was a mistake with an Under the Knuckle setup..
These are of my previous TJ (red) and present (black) on various SoCal rock crawling trails. The first pics are 16+ years old. I'd say I'm pretty hard on my TJ Currie steering lol. Never a problem with it. Not even one. :)

Last edited:
X2. Its single plane rod end at the passenger side isn't doing that any favors.

I forgot about Synergy.. lol well y'all got me back on the Currie wagon. I'll be impressed if they last another 4 years of abuse, honestly. Maybe I can get lucky and have them last longer. 'preciate the feedback.

Here's mine so we can see what I'm harping about. The TREs on either end of the drag link are bent to put the joints in a neutral position at ride height. Neither RE nor Synergy do this.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Here's mine so we can see what I'm harping about. The TREs on either end of the drag link are bent to put the joints in a neutral position at ride height. Neither RE nor Synergy do this.
View attachment 78553
I understand, I've always heard that's what prevents binding and/or bump steer, etc. I reckon I'll get some new ends for my Currie and let her eat!

These are of my previous TJ (red) and present (black) on various SoCal rock crawling trails. The first pics are 16+ years old. I'd say I'm pretty hard on my TJ Currie steering lol. Never a problem with it. Not even one. :)

View attachment 78536View attachment 78537View attachment 78538
View attachment 78539View attachment 78540View attachment 78541View attachment 78544View attachment 78546View attachment 78547View attachment 78548
Off topic. Jerry is that a long arm kit on your red TJ? How would you compare that to your black TJ? It has the Savvy correct? Trying to guide my brother in law In The right direction, that’s away from a RE long arm kit. He is starting to understand but always looking for more info.

Off topic. Jerry is that a long arm kit on your red TJ? How would you compare that to your black TJ? It has the Savvy correct? Trying to guide my brother in law In The right direction, that’s away from a RE long arm kit. He is starting to understand but always looking for more info.
That was RE's long-arm kit, I am so glad to be away from it and running Currie's 4" short-arm suspension now. That red Jeep was stolen, maybe a blessing in disguise lol. All the long-arms did were to regularly get hung up on rocks and other trail obstacles and it just didn't perform all-around as my current Currie suspension does. The Currie is better in all regards.

I have a half-dozen photos of my former lift's long arms hung up on all kinds of obstacles I can post if he'd want to see what I am talking about. The one time my Jeep made it into a 4x4 magazine was from it getting hung up on a rocky trail on one of its front long arms lol.

Reactions: Gollywomper
That was RE's long-arm kit, I am so glad to be away from it and running Currie's 4" short-arm suspension now. That red Jeep was stolen, maybe a blessing in disguise lol. All the long-arms did were to regularly get hung up on rocks and other trail obstacles and it just didn't perform all-around as my current Currie suspension does. The Currie is better in all regards.

I have a half-dozen photos of my former lift's long arms hung up on all kinds of obstacles I can post if he'd want to see what I am talking about. The one time my Jeep made it into a 4x4 magazine was from it getting hung up on a rocky trail on one of its front long arms lol.
You can message them to me if you dont mind. Don’t want to clutter up this thread. Thanks

@Squatch @glwood I have only 2.5" lift on mine and Dave installed Currie's Currectlync for me with some minor modifications to the links/ends and no additonal bumpstop extension. A call to Currie will confirm this.

Reactions: Squatch
If its beef you want. I went with the ZJ rod upgrade which is beefier than the stock TJ. And it cost less than $100. If you play harder than I and don't mind the expense, I've never heard anything bad about Curries kit. Nothing but positive. As seen here in this string.
If you're having play in your steering, and have replaced your ball joints, rod ends, etc. There's a serious chance it's your steering gear. In my hack research, the Mercedes built gear on later year TJs is known to cause problems.
I replaced mine last month with a PSC Big Bore after finding a full 1/2" play in my pitman arm. And that was after any adjustments were made that could be made.