Which Stub Shaft? 2005 TJ Rubicon

derekmac

TJ Addict
A couple of years ago I lost a u-joint cap on the front drivers side axle while wheeling, and had to drive it back to the campground to change it. The stub axle was damaged and bent a bit, so the new u-joint (cheap Napa special) needed to be welded in.

It's now time to change that u-joint, but since the stub axle isn't in the greatest shape, I want to replace that too. I see three different Spicer P/N's, but I'm not sure which to get.

I do have a new 5-760X u-joint for it.

If you're running the OE carbon steel shafts the carbon steel 43205 is fine. The 10007747 is a chromoly version, it is stronger but its stronger benefit wouldn't be of much help when the inner shaft is the OE carbon steel shaft.

The chromoly 10008250 is kind of a confuser for me, it says it fits the TJ but then one description says it also fits a Dana 60. That makes it too iffy for me if I was the one ordering it.

And the reason you lost that bearing cap is because the stock OE carbon steel shafts have non-heat treated ears that hold the u-joint. They are soft enough that they will let go of the bearing cap under stress and that usually tears things up when that happens. Going with 4340 chromoly inner/outer shafts will stop that from ever happening again.

And so there's no confusion, your Rubicon's inner shafts are 30 spline Dana 44 shafts but the outer stub shaft is a standard 27 spline Dana 30 model.

Reactions: derekmac
Thank you Jerry. I am running the OE shafts, so I'll probably just order the 43205. I'd love to replace the inner and outer shafts with chromoly, but it's just not in the books now.

The descriptions on Rock Auto had me kind of confused, so thanks for clearing it up for me! :)

Reactions: Jerry Bransford