Which SYE and driveshaft should I go with?

hgrimes7

I've been running a 4" rough country lift for a year now and unfortunately have been dealing with the driveline vibration since the angles are off. I have an 06 Golden Eagle with the rear dana 44. Which setup should I go with that's cost effective and won't break the bank?

You'll have to adjust the pinion angle (why you have vibes) with an SYE and DC shaft. Factor those into your cost. As far as SYE; I have used Advance Adapters and now JB Conversions. I prefer JB. It is a supershort sye but it is not the cheapest. Also another vote for Tom Wood's driveshaft.

since i have the dana 44s do i need to buy as if it were a rubicon?
Rubicons don't need or use a SYE (slip yoke eliminator) but you'll need one for your Golden Eagle. I'd get the SYE and rear driveshaft kit from Shawn or Tom Wood at www.4xshaft.com. To that you'll also need to buy upper and lower adjustable length control arms for the rear. That's because they are needed to adjust the pinion angle on your Dana 44 to match the requirements of the aftermarket CV (aka double-cardan) driveshaft you'll need to install in the rear.

These drawings show how your rear axle is set up now and how it will need to be set up to run the new aftermarket CV driveshaft.

The top drawing shows how it will end up, the bottom shows how it is now.

CV vs. non-CV angles.JPG

Reactions: mrjp
Rubicons don't need or use a SYE (slip yoke eliminator) but you'll need one for your Golden Eagle. I'd get the SYE and rear driveshaft kit from Shawn or Tom Wood at www.4xshaft.com. To that you'll also need to buy upper and lower adjustable length control arms for the rear. That's because they are needed to adjust the pinion angle on your Dana 44 to match the requirements of the aftermarket CV (aka double-cardan) driveshaft you'll need to install in the rear.

These drawings show how your rear axle is set up now and how it will need to be set up to run the new aftermarket CV driveshaft.

The top drawing shows how it will end up, the bottom shows how it is now.

View attachment 181238

That makes a lot of sense...

since i have the dana 44s do i need to buy as if it were a rubicon?
Im guessing your asking because you saw on the Tom Woods website an option for rubicon and non-rubicon driveshafts.
The rubicon style driveshaft is for the Rubicon's transfercase because, like Jerry pointed out, it has a fixed yoke that doesn't require an SYE to be installed. The axle side of the driveshaft would be the same. So buy the non-rubicon driveshaft.

Tom Wood for SYE and drive shaft package. Should be fine. As others have mentioned, you'll need adjustable rear control arms to adjust the pinion. Should be vibe free after that!

I would highly recommend that you call Tom Woods. They are extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

The cheapest solution would be to lower your belly skid with spacers. This can be done by placing washers in between the skid and frame. Keep adding washers until the vibration goes away.

The next option would be to pick up a set of adjustable control arms. Core 4x4 would be one of the cheaper options and people who run them seem to like them. (Personally, I would run a double adjustable arm because I don't enjoy removing the arm every time it needs to be moved)

If the control arms don't fix the issue, setting them like the 2nd picture @Jerry Bransford posted, you'll be looking at the SYE and DC driveshaft.

Do you have a motor mount lift by any chance? A 4" lift is definitely in SYE territory without dropping the T-case but an MML, such as the savvy or jks 1" aluminum blocks, wouldn't be a bad idea.

Summary:
Cheapest = lower the belly pan with washers.
$$ = SYE, DC driveshaft, adjustable arms (buy once cry once)