Which synthetic winch rope

TJBrad04

Want to replace the cable on my M8000.....

Stick with Warn rope or is there another quality alternative?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Want to replace the cable on my M8000.....

Stick with Warn rope or is there another quality alternative?
I'm a big fan of Warn but their synthetic rope is WAY overpriced. They mention the first couple feet of it is heat resistant but don't overthink that. Our winch drums ONLY get hot if you're using the winch under load in its Reverse direction, which is the only time its drum brake gets used which can get the drum hot. You'd only use the winch in its reverse/out direction under load (when it could get hot) like if you were lowering yourself or someone backwards down a cliff or steep hill. In the usual "in" direction the winch drum does not get hot so you don't need to worry about heat in normal uses. That's why those of us run normal synthetic winch ropes without heat protection without problem.

First, stick with a 3/8" when switching to synthetic. Yes the winch likely came with a 5/16" wire rope and yes the breaking strength of a 5/16" synthetic rope is even stronger than the 5/16" wire rope that came with the winch. But a synthetic rope is more susceptible to damage from abrasion so going to 3/8" gives an extra safety margin if you were some day forced to winch in a situation where the rope had to rub over something.

TRE is a great recovery gear provider, I'm running their 3/8" synthetic rope with a Safety Thimble. I chose International Orange because it is easily visible in all lighting conditions. https://tacticalrecoveryequipment.c...etic-winch-rope/38-winch-rope-safety-thimble/

The Safety Thimble is a better/safer connection device than a hook is. Not to mention its design will stop your hand from being dragged into the the winch if it gets caught, one of the reasons it was designed. It also wraps the rope completely around the load for even more safety.

Last edited:
Reactions: ceccx650 and Neal
Thanks for the input, I'll order a TRE today!

I noticed there is a different recommended length for M8000 and M8000s.... Are the drums different?

Thanks for the input, I'll order a TRE today!

I noticed there is a different recommended length for M8000 and M8000s.... Are the drums different?
No, the same drums hold slightly different lengths depending on the line diameter and type of line, wire or synthetic rope.

Well that's weird, they have 3/8" x 85' for M8000 and 3/8" x 100' for M8000s. I ordered the 85 but would have liked to have gotten the 100. I did not see a phone call on their website, sure would be nice to be able to talk to someone

Ask for Ricky at 702-518-0909

I can also say that TRE is outstanding at handling any sort of customer service issues that might arise. Through no serious fault of anyone's, they shorted me a safety thimble in an order and then promptly fell all over themselves to make it right. I'll buy from them again just because of how good they were at handling a mistake.

Ask for Ricky at 702-518-0909, please tell him I sent you. :)
Thanks! I left him a voicemail this afternoon and then I got an email this evening that it is already on the way. Not sure which length I'm getting but they sure did bump it out the door quick [emoji106][emoji106]

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Thanks! I left him a voicemail this afternoon and then I got an email this evening that it is already on the way. Not sure which length I'm getting but they sure did bump it out the door quick [emoji106][emoji106]
That's Ricky, he's a good guy.

Once you're ready to install, have a little duct tape too. After securing the keeper to the drum with the supplied allen screw, duct tape the tail to the drum like shown. The tail held by the first layer is what holds the rope and provides the strength, not the keeper which just serves to hold it while laying the first layer down..

Angle the keeper up, not down as in the photo. I took the photo before remembering to turn it around to face it the how the rope would pull it. :)

Well that's weird, they have 3/8" x 85' for M8000 and 3/8" x 100' for M8000s. I ordered the 85 but would have liked to have gotten the 100. I did not see a phone call on their website, sure would be nice to be able to talk to someone

The only reason to get the 100 feet is so you can cut 15 feet off of it to stop the drum from being too full.

That's Ricky, he's a good guy.

Once you're ready to install, have a little duct tape too. After securing the keeper to the drum with the supplied allen screw, duct tape the tail to the drum like shown. The tail held by the first layer is what holds the rope and provides the strength, not the keeper which just serves to hold it while laying the first layer down..

Angle the keeper up, not down as in the photo. I took the photo before remembering to turn it around to face it the how the rope would pull it. :)

View attachment 80566
Thanks for the info! I'm going to install it this weekend.

This is my first synthetic rope install....
Does the rope need to be tensioned when installed like a cable does?

This is my first synthetic rope install....
Does the rope need to be tensioned when installed like a cable does?
Yes. There's an easy way to do it when you're by yourself too. Hook the rope up to something immovable like another Jeep, tree (use a tree strap), etc. with the rope fully out save for the first layer on the drum. Shift to Neutral and pull the parking brake up several clicks, enough to put some drag on when pulling the Jeep. Then use the winch to winch the Jeep toward where it's anchored, guiding the rope in with your gloved hand as it spools in so the winds lay in next to each other. Keep your hand away from the hawse or fairlead, you don't want your hand pulled into the winch.

https://warnindustries.wpcomstaging.com/2017/08/29/how-to-stretch-winch-rope/