Which Torque Wrench?

Bowhunter

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey Guys,

Is there a general consensus on which torque wrenchs are recommended without spending snap on / Mac type of money?

I have a cheap beam style and really cheap HF that I use for large torque values like tires or suspension but I’m in need of small FT lbs and Inch lbs for thing like transmission filter bolt torque or transmission pan bolt torque

I would just stuck with a HF or similar as they have decent reviews. If you are worried find a snap on or Mac tool truck and double check it with their tester

I was so amazed at the quality of my 1/2" Harbor Freight clicker-style torque wrench I soon bought the 3/8" version. When I needed a 1/4" torque wrench to finish repairing my automatic transmission I went back to HFT for it too. I'm not a fan of everything HFT makes, especially anything electrical, but their torque wrenches are an amazing quality tool for the $$$. A buddy/neighbor laughed at my HFT 1/2" torque wrench and brought his Craftsman over to compare them. Dead-nuts on for them matching exactly.

I was so amazed at the quality of my 1/2" Harbor Freight clicker-style torque wrench I soon bought the 3/8" version. When I needed a 1/4" torque wrench to finish repairing my automatic transmission I went back to HFT for it too. I'm not a fan of everything HFT makes, especially anything electrical, but their torque wrenches are an amazing quality tool for the $$$. A buddy/neighbor laughed at my HFT 1/2" torque wrench and brought his Craftsman over to compare them. Dead-nuts on for them matching exactly.

Is there a good/easy way to check 1/4” torque wrenches for accuracy? Not against saving money on tools but really don’t want to snap bolts on this trans pan/filter

Is there a good/easy way to check 1/4” torque wrenches for accuracy? Not against saving money on tools but really don’t want to snap bolts on this trans pan/filter

Do you ever see a snap on truck driving around? The ones around here have a checker for torque wrenches

It's more than accurate enough for both jobs though you don't need a torque wrench for the filter which just has a couple screws (IIRC) not bolts holding it on. I primarily needed the 1/4" torque wrench to reinstall the valve body above the ATF filter and consider that part of my repair important that they be tightened evenly and to spec. The HFT 1/4" did a good job for me, I could tell the tightness was appropriate and even each time it clicked.

You're overthinking/over worrying about this. I wouldn't recommend the HFT line of torque wrenches if I had ever had any issues with their accuracy in the past 20+ years I've been using them.

I have all three sizes of HF torque wrenches. I did have one fail on me but I returned it for a free replacement under the lifetime warranty. I'm in their database so every time I make a purchase a copy of the receipt is automatically emailed to me. Makes it easy to find in the future for tool warranties.

I always store them completely loosened per the instructions.

Andy

Exactly, and using the right size torque wrench, 1/2" 3/8" or 1/4", for the job. Use a 3/8" or 1/2" torque wrench on the tiny bolts holding the pan or valve body on and you'll be busting bolts all day.

I bought my first torque wrench when I was racing motocross and tearing down the cylinder head between each moto to fix stuck piston rings. I found out quickly what happens when you over or under tighten vital engine parts. :)

I always store them completely loosened per the instructions.

They should only be loosened to the lowest set-point, never completely loosened. Completely loosened can and will change the calibration on them, meaning they may be ok, they make apply too much or not enough expected torque...

Also, NEVER clean them out with oil or penetrants. Only clean the outside, never get anything that will wash out the grease that the factory put in. Same result as above, but you can then damage the parts, instead of just needing a recalibration.