Which Wheels Look Better: Full-Face Steel or Ecco Cast Aluminum?

Which wheels look better?

• Total voters

Vtx531

TJ Addict
What do you guys think?

D26C38B4-A5FD-4E88-B0D8-1776C5E62D1E.jpeg

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I’m not entirely sure what I’m looking at (other than a silver TJ) but the top one is more “true” color wise and overall feels closer to what I walk out to every day.

Oh the wheels! Deffinetly the top one. (Aluminum) though I think the canyons I have on mine look better and I really like the aftermarket black D-window style.
733B17B7-E41B-4751-90C3-BB02A672B396.jpeg

(Pic is from a while ago)

Reactions: Darsmith and Vtx531
I might be the black sheep here. If both those wheels were sitting without tires in my garage I'd have a tough time deciding which to go with.

Heck even now that I saw this thread I kinda wish I bought 5 of those steelies instead of my 4 Moabs (to match the spare) because they would have been cheaper and 15" tires would have given me more options.

Reactions: Vtx531
Wow currently 11-0 for the Eccos.

I run the Eccos but for some reason they are looking too car-like for me lately. I like how the steel wheels look but I don’t like the fact that steel will rust.

I just bought a set of the steel wheels but I can’t decide if I should use them or not.

Reactions: 02GreenTJ
I don’t like the wheels in the top photo. The steel rims in the bottom photo are what I have at the moment, and they look better. I’ll eventually exchange them for the Moab rims, which I like better.

Reactions: MikeE024 and Vtx531
I don’t like the wheels in the top photo. The steel rims in the bottom photo are what I have at the moment, and they look better. I’ll eventually exchange them for the Moab rims, which I like better.
Looks good! What size tires? They look fairly wide for those 7” wheels.

You forgot the icon wheel. My least favorite of all are the gamblers.

I'm not familiar with the icon.

I agree with you that Ecco (and grizzly) just look too much like all the generic aluminum car wheels Chrysler was kicking out in that time period. Take the Jeep logo off and they could be equally at home on an Intrepid.

Not trying to come across as bashing your jeep or your taste, they're just not my preference.

None of the placements on my list should be read as an endorsement. I really only like about the top 3. Neutral with 4, and the rest, including gambler, aren't likely to be found on a jeep of mine.

Ooops I meant Ravine, not icon. Don’t know where I got that from and you already had the Ravine on your list.

Take the Jeep logo off and the ecco/grizzly would look right on a Grand Caravan too haha.

As for the style of the steel wheels: what do you dislike about those? Or just something about steel wheels in general?

I have Eccos on mine as that's what was on the Jeep when I bought it last April. The Ecco wheels have a very interesting history (Google it), but in the end, they're wheels. I tend towards steel wheels ("Smoothies") with hubcaps - baby moons perhaps for a Jeep. Not planning on changing them out anytime soon as wheels never have done that much for me. All I expect is that they don't rust, bust, encrust, collect dust, shit, stink, or bubble over! As I've never had a wheel do any of that to me as yet, they're all good!

It's funny there's been so many votes for the ecco, the TJ I looked at the other day had em on and I thought they looked way too "car-ish", if I end up buying it I'll be looking for steelies for sure.

20201223_133033.jpg

Reactions: Vtx531