Which Wheels Look Better: Full-Face Steel or Ecco Cast Aluminum?

Which wheels look better?

• Total voters
I finally found a set of five! I overpaid a little bit at $100 for the set but they came with some 215-75-15 that I can use on a trailer if not the Jeep. They supposedly came off a California Jeep so no bad rust but not exactly as nice as I would like.

Hard to believe how many people buy new sets of rims but only buy four and have a mismatched oem spare.

2461C3D4-3D48-4550-A7ED-F19BDC3C14E4.jpeg

I don't mind the steel wheels, I had them on one of my XJs. I don't like the later style center caps though, they look cheap. I prefer the earlier style center caps:

Jeep-Wrangler-1997-1280-05.jpg

In all of your steel wheel dealings, did you get any of the old style caps? If so, I'd be happy to trade you my new style for them. All 5 are in good shape.
No I haven't. I was specifically avoiding that style wheel that had those. Another consideration is that they are older and therefore worse shape usually. I'm wondering if there is maybe a slight difference in color too because I noticed there are two different part numbers for refurbished steelies with a year break at 03+. I think the flatter cap style started in 02 though so that may be an error. If anyone can confirm for me, I think the older style cap wheel might be a tiny shade darker silver?

No I haven't. I was specifically avoiding that style wheel that had those. Another consideration is that they are older and therefore worse shape usually. I'm wondering if there is maybe a slight difference in color too because I noticed there are two different part numbers for refurbished steelies with a year break at 03+. I think the flatter cap style started in 02 though so that may be an error. If anyone can confirm for me, I think the older style cap wheel might be a tiny shade darker silver?

I can't give any insight into the color, but my TJ is an '02 with the newer style wheel and flat cap. There is definitely a difference in the wheels themselves; the older wheel has a larger indentation in the center of each spoke, whereas the newer wheel has a slimmer line shaped indention. My wheels have the smaller indention.

stl9012_lg.jpg

Reactions: Mac and Vtx531
I can't give any insight into the color, but my TJ is an '02 with the newer style wheel and flat cap. There is definitely a difference in the wheels themselves; the older wheel has a larger indentation in the center of each spoke, whereas the newer wheel has a slimmer line shaped indention. My wheels have the smaller indention.

View attachment 326189
Never realized that about the indentations before but I see what you mean
I sort of like the old style indentations better

Reactions: Mac
I cleaned up some of the wheels today. Interesting that they are painted all black and then just metallic silver on the fronts and whatever overspray goes through the spokes. "M+S"

289F041E-1EC6-4E30-B17A-11BE0E0D233F.jpeg

57A73E0C-7796-49D2-8B97-7313A631B148.jpeg

873F4778-C46F-4C6E-8F7F-F88B6FBFB371.jpeg

A8C46483-108A-4C60-890E-3CE75E2FF540.jpeg

F1910696-1340-47BA-8E4E-63553EF174B4.jpeg

4CC25D69-90D6-417D-A7DD-3CB112F62806.jpeg

View attachment 326189
I like the older style center cap — BUT - my JEEP is the newer 05 and I really only use them in the Winter when I remove the Old School CHROME SKINS - The chrome full caps cover the Flat NOT SO GREAT LOOKING center. I really did not know the difference of the rims - Thanks for that!! and the info of the center caps.. I am NOW looking for the older caps in my area.. Thanks again.

Reactions: deadbeat son
I like the older style center cap — BUT - my JEEP is the newer 05 and I really only use them in the Winter when I remove the Old School CHROME SKINS - The chrome full caps cover the Flat NOT SO GREAT LOOKING center. I really did not know the difference of the rims - Thanks for that!! and the info of the center caps.. I am NOW looking for the older caps in my area.. Thanks again.
You're welcome. I think the old style caps look much better too. Classic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac
Fullfilled a minor goal of mine today - got a set of vintage GS-A tires. I know most won't appreciate that but they are 20 years old and no dry rot or anything. Going for that stock OEM look! Came with a set of four eccos. Paid $80 for the four wheels and tires and picked up a spare tire from another guy for $20. Going to either get another single ecoo for that spare or use one I already have. Might put them on steels too, not sure. Approaching 50 Jeep wheels at this time so I have a lot of choices and I've slowly turned into a hoarder.

D84A1220-9F5D-485C-996D-CAF8DF2E5436.jpeg

6CF8898B-EBBE-49AD-B879-F9BD3C245DD0.jpeg