Which wheels?

Which wheels?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Woodrow

Supporting Member
Not everyone loves black steelies but I think my cheap D-windows look more than fine on my TJ. However, they are heavy, not very round and impossible to balance.

So it’s time for new wheels. I’ve come up with 2 aluminum 15x8 options both of which fit over my 16” BMBs (although the sticky weights will need to be outboard of the caliper edge):
A5C72019-FED3-4483-B225-09C8D6FD4331.jpeg

The front is an Ultra 5051 and the rear is a ProComp 69 series. Weight is about 17.5# for both (as an aside, if I run Coyote pneumatic beadlocks they will add about 6# per wheel). BS is 3.65” for the Ultra and 3.75” for the ProComp. The Ultra is $40 more per wheel but comes clear coated. The cost of clear powder coating the ProComp evens that out (no way I’m willing to maintain a polished wheel).

Neither are made in the USA 🙁 The Ultra comes from Thailand and the ProComp from China. There are not many US options out there but I’d go that way, if I could as I’d prefer to keep my $ here.

I like them both. I’m leaning towards the Ultras because they are a little cleaner/less busy looking, possibly less common and they are already coated. Your thoughts?

Edit; @Chris showed me how to create a poll. At the time I did (5/28 @0900) responses where 13 to 4 in favor of the Ultras.

Last edited:
I was about set to order a set of pro comp 69s soon. But now I'm thinking I want ultras instead. Saw them on another Jeep recently and thought dang those look awesome.

Reactions: RINC and Woodrow
Ultras. If you like the 8 hole style, look for Mickey Thompsons. It's very similar to the pro-comp, but they just look better to my eye. The dish is better, and the holes have some depth.

Reactions: Woodrow
I like the ultras, but I'm biased.

PXL_20220402_135458359-01.jpeg

I have the 5.25" backspace version and as much as I'd love to get something that would get rid of the wheel spacers I have to run, I have yet to find anything I like better.

The Ultra's are really nice. Are they a brushed finish?

I have the ProComp 69's.

Major PITA to keep clean so be prepared to be a slave to polishing them if you care. I don't do it nearly often as I would like so the shine is not what it used to be.

2022-05-24 Cathedral Pines ON 11.jpg

2022-05-24 Cathedral Pines ON 16.jpg

the ultra’s , they remind me of the old school alum. slot mags from back in the day. i had a set similar to the pro comps on a truck and they weren’t that hard to keep looking good. you just can’t neglect them.

Reactions: MikekiM
I like the look of the Pro Comp. I used to have the Mickey Thompson version of those in black. They also make a polished version. Checkout the MT if you choose that look. Look for MT Classic 3.

Mine were great on and off road. Held a bead very well.

IMG_5021.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Woodrow and GPK03X
I've had two sets of ProComps, with no complaints. They're relatively cheap, easy to come by, light weight, and hold up well. When I've had damage, I take a dremel tool to them, then polish them up. As @MikekiM said, they can be a pain to clean, but I haven't found them any more difficult than other polished wheels.

These are a 15" ProComp wheel
20220525_144811-jpg.332848

These are a 17" ProComp wheel
6Myt4qX.jpg