Which year Jeep Wrangler would you buy?

I'd have to say a 2003/04 TJ Rubicon if I was starting over. I'd like an Auto this time, so that would saddle me with the RLE42, so geared and cooled properly with a working computer would be nice. Love the extra space the LJ has, but still have a soft spot for a SWB Jeep.

Older Wrangler, a 91 - 95 with a 4.0 and an AX15 would do nicely. Would want the factory family roll bar and the fuel injected 4.0.

Newer models a '13 JK Rubi 10A would be nice.

Any TJ Rubicon. Factory lockers and bigger tires FTW. Literally right after the return grace period on my TJ, the stealership got in A TJ Rubicon with automatic same price, same color... I was livid :mad: Also yes, the new JL is fooking expensive, but you get so much for that price. The Pentastar is rocking, beefy axles,its still a Jeep under the skin but with modern convenience. But that said, TJ Rubicon for 1/4 the price? Put a modern Blu-tooth radio and a good sub in it, find one thats not rusty and you got a winner.

Reactions: mikespine
Honestly, I’d strongly consider a current model JL 2 door Rubicon . 2 door only. 33s from the factory and more ground clearance stock with beefier axles and parts. I will consider it when they come out with the new model and the price drops. More skinny pedal doesn’t hurt either

?? Come out with the new model? They've been out for over a year, granted the 2 door Rubi's were the last to hit the market. Plenty of them floating around now. If you are looking for the 3.6L V6 I'd start looking now. We have it (the engine not the Rubi) and it rocks. Good luck on the price dropping, I don't see that happening anytime soon. Just saw a used 2018 JL 4 door Rubi with 26k on it at a dealer for $42k.
Some speculate that engine may go bye bye with the introduction of the diesel that comes out in 2020. The other option right now is the 2.0L Turbo.
That diesel will have around 260 HP and 460ish ft/lb torque. Not to derail this thread but I can tell you that the JL kicks arse. It's like drviing a luxury tank where as I refer to my LJ as a more "organic" experience. :)

?? Come out with the new model? They've been out for over a year, granted the 2 door Rubi's were the last to hit the market. Plenty of them floating around now. If you are looking for the 3.6L V6 I'd start looking now. We have it (the engine not the Rubi) and it rocks. Good luck on the price dropping, I don't see that happening anytime soon. Just saw a used 2018 JL 4 door Rubi with 26k on it at a dealer for $42k.
Some speculate that engine may go bye bye with the introduction of the diesel that comes out in 2020. The other option right now is the 2.0L Turbo.
That diesel will have around 260 HP and 460ish ft/lb torque. Not to derail this thread but I can tell you that the JL kicks arse. It's like drviing a luxury tank where as I refer to my LJ as a more "organic" experience. :)
I’m referring to 10 years from now and buying a used one with 100k+- miles

Reactions: mgroeger
Sorry for the stupid question but why do some people prefer a 2003 Rubicon over the later ones?

I think there are 2 main reasons people don't like the '04 and newer models. One is the OPDA issue which is easy to resolve as long as you replace the OPDA before the cam is damaged. The other I think is that a lot of people avoid the 6 speed manual trans.

I have an '05 LJR with the 6 speed and no issues after replacing the OPDA at about 80K miles and installing an original cam position sensor. I am happy and have no regrets.

Last edited:
I think there are 2 main reasons people don't like the '04 and newer models. One is the OPDA issue which is easy to resolve as long as you replace the OPDA before the cam is damaged. The other I think is that a lot of people avoid the 6 speed manual trans.

I have an '05 LJR with the 6 speed and no issues after replacing the OPDA at about 80K miles and installing an original cam position sensor. I am happy and have no regrets.

OPDA was just in the 05/06 years. Far as I recall the 03/04 Rubi are identical, both came with the 42RLE Autos or NV3550 5 Speed.

05 LJ here as well. Swapped my OPDA at 51k miles and still trucking at 75k miles now.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Another side note. Buddy just got a 18 JL 4 door with the 2.0 liter turbo with an Auto. Man that engine can get up and go. I thought the 4 door with the 2.0 would be a bad combo, but that little 4 banger really moved the stock Sahara pretty well. Probably end up a really fun engine in a 2 door.

What do people love the 32RH so much?
It's a pretty bulletproof purely hydraulic automatic transmission with no electronics/computer to cause problems. It's known as one of the very best automatic transmission designs to have ever come out of Detroit. Ford even wanted to buy the rights to manufacture it by Chrysler wanted too much $$$ so Ford wasn't able to get them. I'd trade my present 42RLE for a 32RH in a heartbeat if I wouldn't have to change Jeeps.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
It's a pretty bulletproof purely hydraulic automatic transmission with no electronics/computer to cause problems. It's known as one of the very best automatic transmission designs to have ever come out of Detroit. Ford even wanted to buy the rights to manufacture it by Chrysler wanted too much $$$ so Ford wasn't able to get them. I'd trade my present 42RLE for a 32RH in a heartbeat if I wouldn't have to change Jeeps.
So somewhere around a 01 or 02 Sahara with a 32RH and the rear Dana 44 would be a good one to look for? Get the best auto and a decent rear axle.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford