Whining noise coming from front end at 30 MPH and up

njklife

So I have a 1998 Jeep wrangler Tj (170,000 miles), and I'm running into a issue after I bought it used. When I got back home, started it up and drove down the road the next morning, there was a higher pitched whine coming from what is sounds like the front end at 35-40mph and above. The pitch gets higher when speed is increased. It's definitely prominent. Seems that engine rpms have no effect on it. 4wd doesn't seem to effect it either. There was fluid in the front diff. It has a 4in lift. (Not sure if that helps any) Check for play in wheel hubs, seemed fine. Noise didn't change when braking suddenly, or turning sharply left and right. If there are any questions, please let me know. Any help would be great.

Here's a video of the problem

Last edited:

gt3jake

Well that certainly sounds exciting
So I have a 1998 Jeep wrangler Tj (170,000 miles), and I'm running into a issue after I bought it used. When I got back home, started it up and drove down the road the next morning, there was a higher pitched whine coming from what is sounds like the front end at 35-40mph and above. The pitch gets higher when speed is increased. It's definitely prominent. Seems that engine rpms have no effect on it. 4wd doesn't seem to effect it either. There was fluid in the front diff. It has a 4in lift. (Not sure if that helps any) Check for play in wheel hubs, seemed fine. Noise didn't change when braking suddenly, or turning sharply left and right. If there are any questions, please let me know. Any help would be great.

Here's a video of the problem
I've got the same exact noise. Did you find the issue?

thekevin

Same, mine started about a month ago. It sounds like its coming from the front of my tranny but it doesn't change with engine rpm or even shifting to neutral while moving. Only actual speed makes a difference in pitch. Mine is a 4.0 42rle. Last year I changed the front diff fluid with Lucas and everything looked pretty good in there when I did it. I guess it's time to take the cover off and inspect again.

Fish Family JKU

Mine just started doing this on my 08' JK. Very similar symptoms; only above 10mph, only when warn, acceleration/braking do not effect the noise, constant pitch regardless of speed.
I can't replicate the noise on jack stands. And nothing obvious I can see to date.
Draining the front diff tonight.