White grey smoke start up exhaust

Wrangler65

Blue Mountains, New South Wales, Australia
Hi everyone, I bought my 2004 Columbia Edition (US) Extrem Sport (AUS) Wrangler about a month ago and would like to drive it as my daily driver. When I start her up I notice a white grey smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe, this lasted for about 10 minutes then it started to subside. I’m not sure if it’s from the cold weather as I leave it in garage. The exhaust smoke does smell and video doesn’t do justice. Checked the dipstick no milky oil. Could it be a head gasket issue. Also there is a leak under the body of Jeep. Could you tell me the part it is leaking in picture. Really hoping it’s not something major as Im not switched on regarding Mechanical Issues. The seller may not have been completely honest regarding issues. Thank you for your time any advice would be greatly appreciated.

5AE5FFEB-BF59-409E-BA83-2A6D33376992.jpeg

3E3156F3-95EC-4F9F-8138-688EE2C49960.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8791.MOV
    34.7 MB
  • IMG_8791.MOV
    34.7 MB
Just looks like typical condensation to me. Unless you're losing coolant I wouldn't worry about it. As for the leak... I can't quite tell from the photo. That's toward the rear of the skid plate? Does it actively drip or is that the first you saw it? Is that discoloration on the ground in the first photo the result of it dripping? Also, is there a hole in the plate where that drip is coming from or is the liquid coming from somewhere else? If I'm seeing the photo right, that's about where the transfer case sits.

Hi thank you for the message yes the discolouration is from the dripping on the driveway. It seems to be actively dripping when engine is turned on, noticed yesterday and today. As well as smoke. I will check the coolant levels from now on to see if there is any movement. Cheers mate

Have you smelled the dripping liquid to determine if it’s fuel or transmission fluid or not? What color is the liquid? There is a fuel line and a brake line above that location on the driver’s side frame rail that can drip onto the skid plate and possibly make its way across to that point. Also the transfer case is right above there and has ATF in it. Any of those 3 could be the source…

Have you driven through rainy weather very recently? Sometimes the gas tank skid plate and transmission skid plate can get splashed with water and it will drip until it dries…

Does the smoke happen every single time you start the engine? Only the first start of the day? How long does it sit between starting it?

Last edited:
Not sure which transmission you have, but as previously posted; check the color of the drip to help identify the source.
IF the color is brownish and you have a manual transmission; the source could be the shifter boot.
IF the color is redish and you have a automatic transmission; the source could be either the transmission pan gasket or the transmission lines or the transfercase shifter seal or drain plug.
You will need to climb under the Jeep with a flashlight look for shiny dampness to indicate the path or source of the leak. IF there is a lot of dampness; you can spray the areas with degreaser and wipe the affected areas with a rag, drive the Jeep for a day and then search for signs of the leak.

Thank you sycboi for your advice, no it doesn’t smell like fuel. Looks clear in colour. I haven’t driven it out in the rain lately. It seems to smoke when I start it first thing. But will look out for it when driving next time besides when started. Cheers

Thank you sycboi for your advice, no it doesn’t smell like fuel. Looks clear in colour. I haven’t driven it out in the rain lately. It seems to smoke when I start it first thing. But will look out for it when driving next time besides when started. Cheers
Clear liquid could be straight water, fresh power steering fluid or fresh brake fluid. Extremely unlikely it’s power steering fluid all the way back there. Is you master cylinder full? If it’s not brake fluid and you haven’t driven through water very recently I’m not sure. I am definitely intrigued as to what it is…

If it goes away once engine is warm its condensation from the cats, if you look underneath it can actually drip from the rear cat.
I thought the same as you when I bought my 06 but its just condensation looking at the vids.
Black smoke is running rich white smoke/steam is head gasket/cracked head Blue grey smoke is oil burning, If you cant smell it after warm up its not oil burn.
Nice TJ I didn't realize they sold the Columbia in Aus got some pics? :)

Yes I’m going to have to take it to a mechanic and will have the Jeep thoroughly looked at. And will give a update on what it is. Thanks so much to all of you guys so cool to see such a kind Jeep community in the US willing to help. Just a gal wanting her Tj sorted. To be continued.

Best combo in my opinion the ecco wheels and graphite flares! my eccos are a bit stuffed since I had new tyres put on, the wheel balancing weights eat into the silver alloy.

Hi everyone, I bought my 2004 Columbia Edition (US) Extrem Sport (AUS) Wrangler about a month ago and would like to drive it as my daily driver. When I start her up I notice a white grey smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe, this lasted for about 10 minutes then it started to subside. I’m not sure if it’s from the cold weather as I leave it in garage. The exhaust smoke does smell and video doesn’t do justice. Checked the dipstick no milky oil. Could it be a head gasket issue. Also there is a leak under the body of Jeep. Could you tell me the part it is leaking in picture. Really hoping it’s not something major as Im not switched on regarding Mechanical Issues. The seller may not have been completely honest regarding issues. Thank you for your time any advice would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 259612

View attachment 259613
Welcome Wrangler 65,
The exhaust looks normal for a cold start up. If it doesn't appear when your TJ is fully warmed up it is likely just fine.
What does the Mazda's exhaust parked next to your jeep look like after a overnight startup?
I hope you have a blast with your TJ!

Welcome Wrangler 65,
The exhaust looks normal for a cold start up. If it doesn't appear when your TJ is fully warmed up it is likely just fine.
What does the Mazda's exhaust parked next to your jeep look like after a overnight startup?
I hope you have a blast with your TJ!
Hi Colojeep yes I will indeed. 😊 The Mazda is left outside and generally hardly any condensation comes out exhaust when start up.