Whitney's Back to Stock Build: A Tribute to my first Jeep (04 Wrangler Sport, Light Khaki Metallic)

Spent the last few days cleaning up the khaki door panels I snagged on eBay a couple months ago. They looked pretty good in the pictures but you never quite know until you see them in person, so I was a little nervous..but WOW I found set of diamonds in the rough! They were the only ones I stumbled on that didn’t have the infamous cracks. They cleaned up perfectly and look brand new.

Before installing them, I decided to reinforce the back side of the section that cracks. I’ve done a ton of reading on this topic because I was initially going to attempt to repair the cracks on my current panels, but opted to replace once I found this set.

I prepped the areas with Spray Nine degreaser and then wiped down with an alcohol pad. The alcohol left behind a powdery-looking residue, so I wiped it away with a brand new lint free rag. Next, I applied self-adhesive drywall tape. Did this for a little extra support but also to texturize the area. Finally, I applied tan JB Weld Plastic Bonder.

I closely compared my cracked doors as well as pictures of others’ cracked doors to make sure I was applying in the right spots. After closer inspection, I noticed an unreinforced seam in the plastic where it looks like the cracks happen. I applied the JB Weld along the top portion of the panel and down that seam. All of the cracks seem to happen at the seam in front of the door handle opening, but there’s another one of that same seam behind the door handle opening so I figured I may as well reinforce that section as well.

My pictures aren’t great because I was too caught up in what I was doing, but here they are nonetheless. Hopefully this trick keeps my panels intact!

View attachment 400399

View attachment 400400

View attachment 400401

View attachment 400402

View attachment 400403

View attachment 400404

View attachment 400405This last picture shows the unsupported seam pretty well.

View attachment 400394

View attachment 400395

View attachment 400396

View attachment 400397

View attachment 400398

Those aren't seams. They are witness marks from two pieces of steel meeting in the mold. Big molds like that are generally built from smaller pieces of steel and pieced together to form the whole Cavity and Core. Where those inserts line up, you'll get a witness line unless you spend a TON of time spotting and matching the steel. They didn't on the back...because its a "C" surface. They made it good enough to not be seen from the "A" surface (the one you see). You won't see those lines on class "A" surfaces.

Did you rough up the plastic before you put the seam sealer on? Looks lightly sanded.

Those aren't seams. They are witness marks from two pieces of steel meeting in the mold. Big molds like that are generally built from smaller pieces of steel and pieced together to form the whole Cavity and Core. Where those inserts line up, you'll get a witness line unless you spend a TON of time spotting and matching the steel. They didn't on the back...because its a "C" surface. They made it good enough to not be seen from the "A" surface (the one you see). You won't see those lines on class "A" surfaces.

Did you rough up the plastic before you put the seam sealer on? Looks lightly sanded.

I did! Forgot to mention that part, nice catch 👍🏼

C90B6C7D-BE5D-4EF9-BEC4-5B356708D5DF.jpeg

In she goes for new shoes. Refinished ravines and 31” BFG A/Ts. We’re about to look real chincy in here for a couple weeks. Like that awkward phase of growing out a short haircut 🤣

BB0CEBE5-289E-4311-99D8-3DF89F1B0279.jpeg

4F342A97-317F-4CA9-9B71-BF441DF3CD11.jpeg

Progress! Not half as bad as I was picturing, either. Just looks like she skipped a couple leg days. 🤣

My buddy who manages the tire shop accidentally ordered 4 tires, so he’s dropping the spare at my house this weekend. Not the worst thing in the world as it gives me the opportunity to sand and re-paint the spare tire bracket and treat the 3rd brake light with Cerakote.

61A3023E-C66F-4644-8E65-B90D2434926F.jpeg

Question: are these 4 corner bolts nutserts?

Last edited:
View attachment 401088

View attachment 401089

Progress! Not half as bad as I was picturing, either. Just looks like she skipped a couple leg days. 🤣

My buddy who manages the tire shop accidentally ordered 4 tires, so he’s dropping the spare at my house this weekend. Not the worst thing in the world as it gives me the opportunity to sand and re-paint the spare tire bracket and treat the 3rd brake light with Cerakote.

View attachment 401090

Question: are these 4 corner bolts nutserts?

lookin good!

Reactions: wborisenok
F7FD099D-6083-4F63-A81A-D736BAADB53F.jpeg

Wondering about these spacers. These were between the third brake light and the spare tire mount; the nuts went through them before actually threading into the metal tire mount. Wondering if these were added when the PO put on 33” tires and maybe I won’t need them with my 31s. They are metal and kinda look like they were fabricated by some sort of piping to get the third brake light to sit higher so it would clear the 33” tire. Can anyone that has an intact spare tire mount/third brake light confirm?

View attachment 401139
Wondering about these spacers. These were between the third brake light and the spare tire mount; the nuts went through them before actually threading into the metal tire mount. Wondering if these were added when the PO put on 33” tires and maybe I won’t need them with my 31s. They are metal and kinda look like they were fabricated by some sort of piping to get the third brake light to sit higher so it would clear the 33” tire. Can anyone that has an intact spare tire mount/third brake light confirm?

You shouldn't need those. 31s will just fit under the brake light in stock form.

Really wanna keep cranking on the smaller stuff this weekend but, alas, two birthday parties. Nothing going on tomorrow morning so I’m gonna throw my boy in the car, grab a haircut, and pick up the two cans of Landau Black I just ordered from Advanced Auto. Talked to Vinyl Pro today and will call back Tuesday to order one can of 5545 to hit the dash pad cover and then have on hand for any interior stuff that may pop up in the future. Also going to stop at Home Depot and get another can of Rustoleum for the spare tire mount and other various metal parts. I’m super tempted to take the bumpers off, sand them down, and repaint them…but I think that’ll be a lengthier project than I have time for right now so I’ll hold off until after the suspension is done. Also, I’m in charge of a 3-year-old and a 7.5 month old so my free time, when I get it, is in 1-2 hour chunks. 🤣

73C142CC-9D01-4CEA-B4CC-F0777D7CD5D1.jpeg

Looking for some input on how to remove the surface scratches/rust stains left on the tailgate from the spare tire bracket. I’ve tried WD-40 but no luck. Some sort of compound and then buff?

Also wondering if anyone’s taken their tailgate vent out? I can’t find anything on YouTube and don’t want to force it then break it. Thank you in advance!

View attachment 401747

Looking for some input on how to remove the surface scratches/rust stains left on the tailgate from the spare tire bracket. I’ve tried WD-40 but no luck. Some sort of compound and then buff?

Also wondering if anyone’s taken their tailgate vent out? I can’t find anything on YouTube and don’t want to force it then break it. Thank you in advance!

Try something mild first, like Turtlewax Cleaner Wax. If that doesn’t work, then move to a mild rubbing compound, like the white stuff from Turtlewax.

Made some progress on the rust marks. Started with some Adam’s Iron Remover and got just about all of it out. Going to hit it again tomorrow and then try a one step polish to buff it out. Will post up some pics tomorrow.

I’m calling around to some local sandblasting places to get prices on the spare bracket, both bumpers, and my receiver hitch. Planning to paint them myself right now but if the price is right I’ll have them do it.

In the meantime, I’d like to get the 3rd brake light painted and the door panels swapped out. Little anxious about the door panels, I think because I’ve got so much invested in them. Time and money. Ha!

Also, I am in desperate need of a phone holder solution and I can’t seem to settle on anything sturdy enough that doesn’t require drilling into the console. Will keep researching!

Okay, I bit the bullet. No pun intended. Ordered a Bulletpoint Mounting Solutions ballmount and will mount it to the dash. I figure if I want to take it out down the road, I can get a new dash mat to cover the holes. Problem solved.

Okay, I bit the bullet. No pun intended. Ordered a Bulletpoint Mounting Solutions ballmount and will mount it to the dash. I figure if I want to take it out down the road, I can get a new dash mat to cover the holes. Problem solved.

weathertech has one that fits into a cup holder. bought a couple for christmas gifts last year. they’re nice and seem well built.

Reactions: Fouledplugs