Who else is a mechanic / tech for a living?

• Thread starter Cross-Threaded-06TJ
  • Start date
Amen on your back bothering you!

When I was in my 20’s, at the dealership, I shared the front end rack with an older mechanic in his late 50’s. I was quite a bit faster doing an std. alignment than he was. My arrogant ass wanted to think I was a better mechanic. Nope, there was 30 hard years difference between the two of us. Flat rate is easier when you're younger.

I was so blessed to be able to get out of the dealership when I was 30.

@Rubicon John its so cool to have your big box and all your tools home.
When I retired 5 years ago I brought home a SnapOn box my wife had never seen and it was 15 years old!
My wife knows what it cost but hasn’t seen it either 🤣

And yes, I was damn fast in my 20s. I’ve certainly slowed down a bit. But I rarely mess anything up nowadays and know how to get through roadblocks so my hours are still good.

What line of work did you get into after?

My wife knows what it cost but hasn’t seen it either 🤣

And yes, I was damn fast in my 20s. I’ve certainly slowed down a bit. But I rarely mess anything up nowadays and know how to get through roadblocks so my hours are still good.

What line of work did you get into after?
I went from the dealership to being a mechanic at Chrysler Engineering. Took a pay cut initially to go there. (Except when you factor in the benefits)
Never had a bad day there when compared to the dealership. Best break I ever got in my working life.

I went from the dealership to being a mechanic at Chrysler Engineering. Took a pay cut initially to go there. (Except when you factor in the benefits)
Never had a bad day there when compared to the dealership. Best break I ever got in my working life.
I’ve known a couple people who have had similar opportunities and they say they’ve never looked back. I’m happy you were able to make that happen. I would definitely consider something along those lines. Seems it would be far less stressful.

Reactions: jgaz
Somebody should check the Julian date of your transmission. There is a bulletin for trucks with transmissions built between July 1, 2015 (Julian date 182) and Sept 14, 2015 (Julian date 257). Your truck may need a new valve body. No guarantee this is what is wrong with yours. But it is something for somebody at your dealer to check.

So if the 3-6th digits of your transmission Number are 182-257 you could need new valve body. Unless this has been done.

In this pic starting after S115241, its the 241 so that truck fell into new valve body land. May help you may not.

And yes the 8 speeds shift rough especially the 1-2 shift cold and with the bigger engines like the 6.2 gas.

View attachment 150085

Hey man that’s really good info, I’m gonna look into it. Thanks!

Reactions: Cross-Threaded-06TJ