Who has a B&M shifter in their NSG370 6 speed?

I've been thinking of a B&M shifter and would like to hear all thoughts positive or negative from anyone who has one in their 05 or 06 TJ with the NSG370. The install looks pretty easy from their instructions posted on the website.

https://www.holley.com/products/dri...l_shifters/precision_sportshifter/parts/45195
Thanks.
I had one on my ‘02 5-speed. Waste of money. There are about a thousand other things I’d buy for my TJ before I waste money on that again. You can get many much more useful goodies for that amount of money.

edit: holy sh** I just looked at the price. The one for the nv3550 was 270 when I got it. That’s ridiculous. Yeah, the b&m shifter feels ever so slightly more pleasant, but not $500 more pleasant. Like $20 more pleasant. It’s your money, but I’d advise against it. That shifter is high on my “Mods I Regret Buying” list, along with the k&n intake and RC TBS

also, their whole “sloppy factory shifter” marketing jig is laughable BS. I’ve driven both and the 6-speed already has a really nice positive shift feel compared to the 5-speed.

Last edited:
Steep price? Oh yeah!
I do like mine though. Yes, there are a lot of other ways to spend 4 bills but, to me, it made a difference. A difference in the shifts and, if you have a tummy tuck slash motor mount lift, this will remedy hitting the console issue.

Reactions: J&M’s ICON
also, their whole “sloppy factory shifter” marketing jig is laughable BS. I’ve driven both and the 6-speed already has a really nice positive shift feel compared to the 5-speed.
I disagree with this part^^^

The shifter cost...to each their own...

but I've never driven a single Getrag 370 that had a more positive shift and tightness feel to it than either the new venture 3550 or AX-15. Not one.
I've personally owned 4 (1 TJ, 3 JK) and driven many more from my shop.
Every single one feels sloppy. Very.

The only transmission I can say that is consistently worse from a sloppy point of view is any of the Tremec 170 series uses in Ford's.
Those transmissions are so sloppy they have virtually as much movement in every gear as neutral. Some of you might remember them. They were a 4 speed overdrive (4 speed including OD) with air plane gears. Weak for a damn car. Definitely wasn't Ford's finest hour but pressure for better gas mileage at the time led to those chunks of shit being used. Most were found 80-86 in full sized bronco and f150's.

Reactions: MikekiM
Steep price? Oh yeah!
I do like mine though. Yes, there are a lot of other ways to spend 4 bills but, to me, it made a difference. A difference in the shifts and, if you have a tummy tuck slash motor mount lift, this will remedy hitting the console issue.
I plan to do a tuck with motor mount lift but my shifter handle was bent by the PO due to the transfer case drop with the skyjacker lift. Not sure how everything will line up after I get the right suspension and tuck on.

I recently drained the trans fluid and put in Redline MTL. The redline is coming out and I am going with Mopar fluid at $26 per quart. Shifts into second are VERY hard now when cold. I am double clutching the 1-2 shift and still have a hard time getting it in. It was not exactly smooth 1-2 before but draining out the Mopar fluid and putting in the Redline absolutely made it worse.

I recently drained the trans fluid and put in Redline MTL. The redline is coming out and I am going with Mopar fluid at $26 per quart. Shifts into second are VERY hard now when cold. I am double clutching the 1-2 shift and still have a hard time getting it in. It was not exactly smooth 1-2 before but draining out the Mopar fluid and putting in the Redline absolutely made it worse.
You can't find that sweet rpm spot for it to just fall in?

Not when it's cold. I'm assuming its the same spot though.
Maybe you are already doing this...but...

Try this...
When cold and you start out get to your speed in 1st and then absolutely positively make sure once you push in the clutch to go to second...wait that extra moment for all the rpm to drop to around idle RPM. Don't even try to pull the shifter until all the rpm is gone. It will take a second or two from a cold start....with the rpm gone it should fall right in.

Once warm you shouldn't have an issue.

BTW...
I lived a year in Macclenny. Now I must say that was a real eye opener. It was kind of like 1968 Birmingham Alabama but in 1986. The Baker County times came out once a week.
It was funny though because some things they were quite odd about. Example the school was the red devils or some shit but then changed to the wildcats or something. Ya know...devil is just too.....but segregation was in full force.

Having said that the only wheeling to be found was mud and sand. Swampy mud holes and the like. I was only there a year but what kind of off roading are you able to find there? Anything more than goo?

• Wow
Reactions: inkedrose
Maybe you are already doing this...but...

Try this...
When cold and you start out get to your speed in 1st and then absolutely positively make sure once you push in the clutch to go to second...wait that extra moment for all the rpm to drop to around idle RPM. Don't even try to pull the shifter until all the rpm is gone. It will take a second or two from a cold start....with the rpm gone it should fall right in.

Once warm you shouldn't have an issue.

BTW...
I lived a year in Macclenny. Now I must say that was a real eye opener. It was kind of like 1968 Birmingham Alabama but in 1986. The Baker County times came out once a week.
It was funny though because some things they were quite odd about. Example the school was the red devils or some shit but then changed to the wildcats or something. Ya know...devil is just too.....but segregation was in full force.

Having said that the only wheeling to be found was mud and sand. Swampy mud holes and the like. I was only there a year but what kind of off roading are you able to find there? Anything more than goo?
I do find that if the RPM's are down it will shift but by that time I have lost a lot of speed.

Wheeling is pretty much sand and mud unfortunately around here. A week ago we were in some pretty deep mud but I always keep my speed way down to not splash and completely coat every component in my engine bay with mud. After that trip I used my pressure washer with an attachment that sprays directly up underneath the Jeep. Couple of days ago I was there running some wires and literally had piles of dirt on the garage floor when done.

Reactions: JMT
I do find that if the RPM's are down it will shift but by that time I have lost a lot of speed.

Wheeling is pretty much sand and mud unfortunately around here. A week ago we were in some pretty deep mud but I always keep my speed way down to not splash and completely coat every component in my engine bay with mud. After that trip I used my pressure washer with an attachment that sprays directly up underneath the Jeep. Couple of days ago I was there running some wires and literally had piles of dirt on the garage floor when done.
Are you trying to qualify for the race?
L😎L
Yes...when cold that 1-2 shift isn't racing anything.
The other thing you can do is just early shift. Hit about 1800 and clutch, rpm drop, go to 2nd.

I am thinking about it hoping this would help with the reverse gear. I have the hardest time getting it into reverse.

my reverse loves jumping out of gear.

I am thinking about it hoping this would help with the reverse gear. I have the hardest time getting it into reverse.

I rarely have a hard time getting into reverse. When I do just going to neutral or even first then trying reverse again gets it in.

Most Getrag trannies lllooovvveeee jumping out of reverse. All three I owned did it. One more than others. One did it every damn day.

Mercedes makes a fine motor car but not a god damn manual Jeep tranny!!

Is that because you feel 1st is too low or you find the 1-2 shift hard?
I can't speak for that poster but two fellow Jeepers did it because they were in a fantasy land. What I mean is they acted like it was 1978 and they had a REAL tranny with a real granny first gear.

That getrag isn't low enough to justify doing that. Its a typical use all the time synchronized first gear with a sequential ratio compared to 2,3,4,5,6. No need to skip it unless you want some nostalgia.

Just my .02 cents and not accusing the above poster

Steep price? Oh yeah!
I really like mine too. The shifter only moves about 4" front to back. Yes it does solve the hitting the console problem.

Reactions: theyellowbear
I bought it for my NSG. That with some fresh redline MTL made me like the transmission again. Aside from reducing/eliminating some gear grind (1st-2nd & 2nd-3rd), the gear throws are pretty short. I can keep my elbow planted on the armrest and shift through all gears.