Who Has A Lift With Stock Steel Wheels?

TJRick

TJ Enthusiast
I really like the look of stock steel wheels that were standard on Sport models. I would love to see your Jeep if you are still running these understated but very "Jeep" like wheels with bigger meats under a lift.

What is the biggest size tire that can be run on these?

1588528747784.png

Last edited:
Reactions: bedhed
15x7 with 5.5 backspacing just like the steel ones you were asking about. I think the Grizzly, Ecco and steel wheels are the same size.

You could put a 33x10.5-15 KO2 on the 15x7, the sport wheel in your first picture. Other than something from Interco I think that's as big as you could go. I think the only smaller wheel was the early 15x6 SE steel wheel carried over from the YJ. Most discussions as you know probably get caught up if they rub but as far as fitting on the sport steel wheel I think they'd be fine even on the trail. BFG says 7" is the minimum for that tire, you wouldn't even be pushing it as far as the tire goes.

Stock steel wheels would be good for a beater. I wouldn't have those plain wheels on a decent Jeep. There's no reason to with better stock wheel options. I've run stock wheels and 33s and 35s on a couple of my Jeeps, until I bought new wheels.
White and Green Jeeps (2).jpg

XJ tires.jpg

Last edited:
Stock steel wheels would be good for a beater. I wouldn't have those plain wheels on a decent Jeep. There's no reason to with better stock wheel options. I've run stock wheels and 33s and 35s on a couple of my Jeeps, until I bought new wheels.
Well now, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I happen to like the look of plain, old-school style OEM steel wheels on these Jeeps with a moderate lift and bigger tires. There is just something honest about them that I like, particularly on the "X" or even "Sport" models.

Those old OEM steel wheels will look good with what you're wanting to do. You'll have no major issues with a 10.5 wide tire on them. You may have to add a washer behind the stop so the wider tire doesn't rub.

Here's a Yokohama Geolander MT G003 in 31x10.50x15 on the stock sport wheels. Springs are Old Man Emu 933 and 941.

View attachment 263337
Our 2000 chili pepper came stock with grizzlies that we plan on keeping. 2 1/2 ome lift, 31x10.5 tires. Your Jeep really makes me want the stock steel wheels. Looks awesome 👍

Reactions: deadbeat son
Our 2000 chili pepper came stock with grizzlies that we plan on keeping. 2 1/2 ome lift, 31x10.5 tires. Your Jeep really makes me want the stock steel wheels. Looks awesome 👍
I wouldn’t mind a nice set of Grizzlies either! There’s something about those wheels…. Also, chili pepper red was my first color choice. Back in 2001, I had a ‘99 XJ Sport in chili pepper red with the steel stockers. I was trying to find one to relive that aesthetic from my youth. I’d love to see yours!