Who in here likes to fish?

Two weeks after I retired, my wife and I loaded up our horses and Headed to the Marbel Mountain Wilderness area in Northern California. Growing up in Northern California I always fished small creeks. As I got older, I also really liked fishing high mountain lakes. So we headed out with our 3 horses and rode 7 hours into the wilderness and set up camp at a high mountain lake and fished and camped for 5 days. We had the whole place to ourselves. We had one pack horse to take in everything we would need.View attachment 158163View attachment 158164View attachment 158165View attachment 158166View attachment 158168View attachment 158169
That looks like a whole lot of fun!!!

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
I owned an outfitter business for almost 15 years, Fly Casting Schools, private lessons, guided trips...
"Livin' the dream", yeah right! 18 hr days, tear up your knees, back, shoulders. Mother Nature is your boss, floods, hurricanes, it's still a job, but at least not stuck behind a desk!
I focus on my kids. If they're into it for the moment.
I have pets:

IMG_2764.jpeg

So I've been afforded the opportunity to travel a bit w/ and w/o the fam.

I really dig saltwater fly fishing...Last year I got my first permit from a beach:
IMG_6155.JPG

What do you call a permit the size of a sunfish?....A permit.

Then I got my second permit from a SUP, that was like a monkey fucking a football.

P1050095.JPG

For those of you who have never fished permit, they will give you the middle fin, every time.

On a recent trip to Costa Rica we had some shitty weather blowing in, but I managed a half day trip into the blue water (5 minutes out) in hopes for a billfish on fly...no love for me but my seasick 13 YO landed a nice sail on gear.

PC200143.JPG

The boys caught mahi...

PC200073.JPG

PC200075.JPG

I told our captain the kids come first, let them have their fill, then I'll try fly. Well unfortunately the bite was off by then. I did manage a yellowfin on fly, I hate catching tuna, been there...but I had the first mate slice some up for us on the boat...Sushi doesn't get any fresher than that!
We killed a couple of tuna and mahi for dinner and I gave the rest to the staff for Christmas presents at the eco lodge where we were staying...They dug it.
It's all about the kids.

PC200326.JPG

I owned an outfitter business for almost 15 years, Fly Casting Schools, private lessons, guided trips...
"Livin' the dream", yeah right! 18 hr days, tear up your knees, back, shoulders. Mother Nature is your boss, floods, hurricanes, it's still a job, but at least not stuck behind a desk!
I focus on my kids. If they're into it for the moment.
I have pets:

View attachment 158279
I know what you're talking about! I guided wild pig hunts for years. A lot of hard work. First one up and the last one to bed and all the work between. Hunting hard to find the client their pig. Gut it, drag it out, skin it.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Reactions: Nickgsjeep
I love to fish for stripers and hybrid stiped bass the TVA stocked in the Tennessee River at the tailrace of the Guntersville Dam, about 12 miles from where I live . 15- 25lb fish in that current are a handful.

I have loved fishing,camping, dirt bikes and Jeeps all my life it seems.

I agree on doing it professionally...sounds good at first. Then it turns into a grind. I was always doing home projects with my wife ...,20 years as a contractor and Saturday comes and the last thing I want is to get my tools out .

Last edited:
I love to fish for stripers and hybrid stiped bass the TVA stocked in the Tennessee River at the tailrace of the Guntersville Dam, about 12 miles from where I live . 15- 25lb fish in that current are a handful.

I have loved fishing,camping, dirt bikes and Jeeps all my life it seems.

I agree on doing it professionally...sounds good at first. Then it turns into a grind. I was always doing home projects with my wife ...,20 years as a contractor and Saturday comes and the last thing I want is to get my tools out .

Wow, that gives me some hope for a larger sport fish inland!!

Reactions: AndyG