Who in here likes to hunt?

Nice whitetail. We get a lot of Blacktail up here in Northern California (the ones on the right). Whitetail is on my wish list.

img_20181031_112306617-jpg.jpg
Very nice! Beautiful mounts and room to display them! I wish we had more ungulate diversity here in Iowa. I need to head west one of these years to chase other stuff....

I noticed the tanned pelts hanging... very cool. I am starting my own collection (something I should have done years ago).

I have a bobcat pelt at the taxidermist for tanning, my wife wants to create a display with pelts and some of my old traps hanging on a hardwood ladder that was my great grandfathers. I need to collect a couple nice 'yotes, a beaver and some raccoons this year to have tanned for the display.

Live in Iowa on a farm and after awhile you realize they are more like rats. Corn fed rats.
Yes they are, and @AFF I agree, quite delicious ... our family eats about 6 of them per year :) :)

They are actually enough of a nuisance here in the southern part of the state we are issued depredation tags for specific farms that increase the number that can be harvested over and above state quotas per county. The population is generally in check but pockets of overpopulation do create significant crop damage that needs correction 🏹🦌🦌

Reactions: Apparition
Yes they are, and @AFF I agree, quite delicious ... our family eats about 6 of them per year :) :)

They are actually enough of a nuisance here in the southern part of the state we are issued depredation tags for specific farms that increase the number that can be harvested over and above state quotas per county. The population is generally in check but pockets of overpopulation do create significant crop damage that needs correction 🏹🦌🦌
Where I grew up we had way too many deer. My dad talked to the DNR about those tags and it was a ton of paperwork. It was easier to buy a bunch of $1 landowner tags. We'd split quite a few tags between us every year and easily fill them all. They'd flatten acres of corn so they weren't just a nuisance but impacted our livelihood.

Reactions: qslim and Moon Eyes
Where I grew up we had way too many deer. My dad talked to the DNR about those tags and it was a ton of paperwork. It was easier to buy a bunch of $1 landowner tags. We'd split quite a few tags between us every year and easily fill them all. They'd flatten acres of corn so they weren't just a nuisance but impacted our livelihood.
They are over running here in Long Island, very hard to hunt in most areas due to it is residential area. Just last month I was turning into a Lowes parking lot that is located on a very busy highway like road. Out of the corner of my eye I see what I thought was a dog shoot from behind another car. I slammed on my brakes blocking the deer's path and the damn thing jumped over my hood and slid across and took off like a bat out of hell.

• Wow
They are over running here in Long Island, very hard to hunt in most areas due to it is residential area. Just last month I was turning into a Lowes parking lot that is located on a very busy highway like road. Out of the corner of my eye I see what I thought was a dog shoot from behind another car. I slammed on my brakes blocking the deer's path and the damn thing jumped over my hood and slid across and took off like a bat out of hell.
My mom had her Explorer totaled by a deer. It ran into the side of her car and set off every single airbag in it. Iowa deer aren't dog sized. Nobody hurt which was the important thing.

In Minnesota they hired "sharpshooters" to hunt them in the cities suppressed. Then one of the "sharpshooters" shot a house and they stopped doing that.

• Face Palm
Reactions: B00mb00m
My mom had her Explorer totaled by a deer. It ran into the side of her car and set off every single airbag in it. Iowa deer aren't dog sized. Nobody hurt which was the important thing.

In Minnesota they hired "sharpshooters" to hunt them in the cities suppressed. Then one of the "sharpshooters" shot a house and they stopped doing that.
I was in my explorer as well, If I stopped a foot further it would have hit right into my driver side window. Instead it went over the A pillar and left some nasty scratches across the hood....This one was bigger than dog sized but it was not huge either. I am now seeing them in my backyard from time to time and they are eating my friggin Habenaro plants too.

If you look at the below aerial shot of my neighborhood, you can see that I am not exactly surrounded by woods.

Attachments

• house.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 95
I was in my explorer as well, If I stopped a foot further it would have hit right into my driver side window. Instead it went over the A pillar and left some nasty scratches across the hood....This one was bigger than dog sized but it was not huge either. I am now seeing them in my backyard from time to time and they are eating my friggin Habenaro plants too.

If you look at the below aerial shot of my neighborhood, you can see that I am not exactly surrounded by woods.
Crazy, never would have expected deer issue there.

I know Savage is a more budget gun, but I’ve read time and again that they shoot consistently. I’m going to side by side this and a browning.

My 7mm Rem Mag is a Remington 700 but I wouldn't hesitate to carry a Savage into the woods, they've earned quite a reputation for accuracy and reliability
I really like the 7mm Rem Mag, it puts an exclamation point on the whole man vs nature thing, and I hate chasing wounded game

Reactions: rasband