Who in here likes to hunt?

I kill shit and eat it. Does that count? Just wish I had more time to fill the freezer with seafood.
ODFW pissed me off when they dropped the salmon limit from three a day to two a day.

Reactions: MikeM
I kill shit and eat it. Does that count? Just wish I had more time to fill the freezer with seafood.
ODFW pissed me off when they dropped the salmon limit from three a day to two a day.
Of course it counts. That's why we hunt. We don't shoot anything that we don't eat. Yes, they lowered the abalone limit here too.

Reactions: StG58
image.jpeg

For the British Columbia 'book' you'll need 19" .....
B&C minimum is 21" ....
Three of those four are high 19" and the single photo is 20 6/16"
Just a bit of info .....
The Black bears of Vancouver Island, and Newfoundland (island) are genetically different than those you'll be hunting at Vanderhoof.
They are generally larger bodied than those of the mainland. It's thought that this was because of isolation during the Ice Age(s) .. ?
Some areas of the British Columbia mainland produce large skull bears, but body size/weights are on the smallish side.
A variety of scientists and academia have done many studies on the Black bear..... interestingly NASA.
What could possibly interest NASA ?
A sow Black/Grizzly bear is impregnated in May/June and carries that fertilized egg(s) in a dormant state until she goes into hibernation. When her metabolism 'slows down' that egg(s) starts to grow ..... new cub(s) in the spring. Think ... a female astronaut carrying many fertilized eggs on a years long voyage to .... ?
That sow Black/Grizzly is in hibernation sometimes 5-6 months in some places ..... doesn't lose bone mass or density like a bed ridden human would .... why? This secret would help those inactive 'deep space' travellers.

Pardon the long post .....

No problem on the long post.
We've hunted a lot of bears here in Northern California. The black bears up there are much larger. Another reason we are going up there to hunt black bears. I always like seeing new country.

Reactions: DC0046
Some of these posts are borderline creepy. I like it. I hunt here in Pa. Small game as well as whitetail deer. My dad has 32 acres and Ive been lucky enough to have a streak going-6 in the past 3yrs.

Reactions: NicKnack
Some of these posts are borderline creepy. I like it. I hunt here in Pa. Small game as well as whitetail deer. My dad has 32 acres and Ive been lucky enough to have a streak going-6 in the past 3yrs.
Why are they borderline creepy?
Congrats on your streak of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58
It is a Ruger Gold Label. The older pup is named Ruger after the gun. I have other much older SxSs but this one is so light with a straight stock that it is a joy to carry in the field. I am not old enough to start carrying a 16 ga yet.

Used to only bird hunt, primarily quail. Had at least three pointers for years until the quail population got so bad that hunting all day resulted in moving one covey if lucky. The last few years, I understand the quail season has been much better. Nothing better than good dog work in the field. Congrats on the pheasant. Used to hunt them also in the panhandle of Oklahoma.

@JimT , very nice. I'd be interested in the straight stock in a 16g myself, 16 just to be different. My go to gun now is an early model Rem 1100 in 12, which I adore. But it gets heavy carrying around all day.

@DC0046 , agreed on the dog work. I had to put my lab down 4 years ago, cancer, and she did it all. Ducks or upland, she loved it all. I miss her by my side :emoji_frowning2:

Reactions: DC0046
We have been very lucky to have found a breader in Wisconsin who breads field trial Goldens Retrievers. The two in the picture are our second and third from that line. Great prey drive, but more importantly the best house pets we could ask for.

Reactions: MikeM