Who in here likes to hunt?

Turkey too, mostly around water again, but we always get a few come around during mating season. What does that mean?

Been hunting since the late 60s, only thing I hunt now are birds of any type
I️ am in the middle TN area about 30 minutes east of Nashville. Golden mountain ORP is about an hour away and Windrock is a hour and a half, I️ am very fortunate to have around 10 or so good off road parks within 3 hours of me. If any of you guys ever get this way give me a hollar and I will introduce you to what we call Hook Dirt!!

Reactions: lawyerspann
Been hunting since the late 60s, only thing I hunt now are birds of any type
I️ am in the middle TN area about 30 minutes east of Nashville. Golden mountain ORP is about an hour away and Windrock is a hour and a half, I️ am very fortunate to have around 10 or so good off road parks within 3 hours of me. If any of you guys ever get this way give me a hollar and I will introduce you to what we call Hook Dirt!!

What the heck is “hook dirt”? Mud that requires a person to be pulled out by a tow hook?

What the heck is “hook dirt”? Mud that requires a person to be pulled out by a tow hook?
Nope, it’s that layer of dirt, rocks, roots and whatever else Mother Nature decides to drop on top of these rocks we play on in TN. You can bet it ain’t like that sandpaper they call rocks out west

I'm so glad that we don't have to go find an off road park in order to go wheeling. We have so much National Forest and BLM land to explore .... hunt...camp and wheel, all at the same time.

You don't need to go far LR. These guys are right in town today. Too bad they are in the city limits, and out of season, lol!
20180110_132116.jpg

20180110_132130.jpg

Reactions: MikeM and Rob5589
I'm so glad that we don't have to go find an off road park in order to go wheeling. We have so much National Forest and BLM land to explore .... hunt...camp and wheel, all at the same time.

We have the same here also ...... tens of thousands of miles of logging road, all in various conditions. Jeep or quads - take your pick, and go! Hunt, explore, fish, prospect, camp where you want ...... the list is endless.

Reactions: lowranger
I guess it means the Tom's are chasing the hens all over the place. How far is the closest water from you?
Oops, missed this.

Hard to say exactly, but I’d say about 1 mile. I’ve only seen quail on my property twice. The bobwhite are struggling around here’s, but I read populations are starting to resurge. I’ve hunted them at this hunt before, only stirred up a few. I’ve seen pics from the seventies when there were thousands. What a day that would have been!

I noticed yesterday, if you’re going to hunt migratory birds you have to get HIP certified. It’s some Immigration Program that involves reporting the number of birds you kill. More regulations. I’m a little torn on that. Need to find out more. Sounds like another group getting there hand in your wallet. I abhor even getting a hunting license. $25 to take a deer on my own property!? You know the State arbitrarily claims ownership of all game. I think that is absurd.

Last edited:
Oops, missed this.

Hard to say exactly, but I’d say about 1 mile. I’ve only seen quail on my property twice. The bobwhite are struggling around here’s, but I read populations are starting to resurge. I’ve hunted them at this hunt before, only stirred up a few. I’ve seen pics from the seventies when there were thousands. What a day that would have been!

I noticed yesterday, if you’re going to hunt migratory birds you have to get HIP certified. It’s some Immigration Program that involves reporting the number of birds you kill. More regulations. I’m a little torn on that. Need to find out more. Sounds like another group getting there hand in your wallet. I abhor even getting a hunting license. $25 to take a deer on my own property!? You know the State arbitrarily claims ownership of all game. I think that is absurd.
Here in California years ago you never need a tag to pig hunt, just a hunting License. Fish and Game said they weren't native to California. Well as time passed pig hunting became very popular as the pig population increased. Fish & Game saw where they weren't getting any revenue from the pig hunting, other then a hunting License. So they stepped in and said they were going to require a pig tag in order for you to hunt a pig (only so they could "manage" the pig population so we would have pigs to hunt in the future). To make a long story short, today one pig tag cost you about $30. The limit.....as many as you want to "No Limit" as long as you have a tag on each one if them. Well there's a great "Management" program! Sounds like an all "Revenue" program to me.

Reactions: JMT and UpperMI