Who in here likes to hunt?

Our A zone rifle season for Blacktail deer here in Northern California started this last Saturday. I got one for the freezer yesterday.
IMG_20190813_194132796.jpg

Had these 3 Muleys bed down right outside our house a couple weeks ago. 3x2, 2x2 and a spike. That gets the excitement for the upcoming season pumping.

Edit: Just walked out the front door and there was this fawn still in spots standing there:

251BDDDB-67F5-4088-A761-D91FC3025733.jpeg

4398E7DA-F1E0-49DB-9AB3-E0DB4499925E.jpeg

Last edited:
Any waterfowl guys in here? That's about all I do anymore. I like it because it's quick and accessible, plus I'm a morning person so I like being done and back by lunchtime.

I'm taking out my lab this year for the first time to the waterfowl areas, been working with here a bit over the past year. She's smart as hell and has a great prey drive. I haven't ever hunted w/ a dog though so I'm just basically YouTubing it. I've shot next to her a few times, she didn't seem to care much. Bought a couple birds on ice from a buddy of mine, chucked it around some. I think she'll be good.

Anyone here got any tips for taking a dog along?

Reactions: Scott B. and MikeM
@qslim, yep, duck hunt as well. Used to be out quite a bit when we were leasing a blind. Not as much now, just rezis and sweat line. Daughter started last year but it was a pretty terrible year for her to just start out unfortunately. Taking her to Idaho for deer in October so she is pretty excited for that.

I loves WA mountain hunting but dang there's not so many animals on the west side. I love bear meat and will be back up chasing them when berries are ripe. Also going to MT in Nov. 700 units have a buck and doe tag to fill for freezer. Have to chop the skull for buck now since CWD showed up in Mt.

image000000_02.jpg

Had some venison spaghetti last night, stuff is delicious! I have an ass load of burger left over from last year still, trying to burn through it to justify the up-coming season. I gave about 10lbs to my neighbor and still have about 40lbs left, time to strike up the grill.

Reactions: mushdogs and MikeM