T-Shirts

Order your offical Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum t-shirt today!

Click here to order!

Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum T-Shirts

Who is carrying a JK sport wheel and tire on their spare carrier?

jrmcafee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Several months ago I swapped a set of 35/12.50/15 M/Ts for 33/11.50/17 A/Ts. With a reinforced carrier, the 35/12.50/15 M/T mounted without issue (weight and tax on the tailgate aside).

Now that I have removed the 3" body lift and without the deep-dish backspacing of the previous 15" wheel, I seem to have challenges mounting a spare on the tailgate.

Is anyone out there carrying a 17" JK sport on their tailgate without a bumper carrier?

Gratuitous photos to illustrate my rear bumper's seemingly low, yet obstructive, profile. Thanks!

IMG_5237.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IrishWake

TJ Enthusiast
Ride of the Month Winner
Is your issue reaching the mating surface of the wheel (with the higher backspacing JK wheel)? I ran into that with stock TJ Ravines and a 33x12.5. It was easily remedied by using a cheapo wheel spacer off Amazon. I've already given both I bought away as I no longer need them, but you can pick up a set of frighteningly cheap spacers for about $30. That, combined with hockey pucks behind the rubber "tire bumpers" worked wonderfully for me.

With stock TJ tailgate carrier (if you have one to put on), I don't think you should have an issue hitting that bumper with a 33, but if you do, there are riser brackets available as well. I dont have experience with these, but they might solve your backspacing issues as well https://www.amazon.com/s?k=jeep+tj+oversized+tire+carrier&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Reactions: jrmcafee
OP
jrmcafee

jrmcafee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Is your issue reaching the mating surface of the wheel (with the higher backspacing JK wheel)? I ran into that with stock TJ Ravines and a 33x12.5. It was easily remedied by using a cheapo wheel spacer off Amazon. I've already given both I bought away as I no longer need them, but you can pick up a set of frighteningly cheap spacers for about $30. That, combined with hockey pucks behind the rubber "tire bumpers" worked wonderfully for me.

With stock TJ tailgate carrier (if you have one to put on), I don't think you should have an issue hitting that bumper with a 33, but if you do, there are riser brackets available as well. I dont have experience with these, but they might solve your backspacing issues as well https://www.amazon.com/s?k=jeep+tj+oversized+tire+carrier&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
Yes you’ve got it. And, since my carrier was 5x4.5 I had to use a spacer anyway to go from 5x4.5 to 5x5. Still no luck. It would seem I can get the carrier with the spacer to mate to the back of the lug holes, but because the wheel/tire is as large as it is, the bumper is an obstacle in shutting the tailgate.

TheBoogieman

Disturbed Jeepaholic
Supporting Member
I used a cheap adapter to mount my 35" spare with stock wheels. It lifted it up and out enough to clear. I made a plate to hold the weight off the tailgate.
35 spare (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC) (2).jpg

Reactions: IrishWake

IrishWake

TJ Enthusiast
Ride of the Month Winner
Yes you’ve got it. And, since my carrier was 5x4.5 I had to use a spacer anyway to go from 5x4.5 to 5x5. Still no luck. It would seem I can get the carrier with the spacer to mate to the back of the lug holes, but because the wheel/tire is as large as it is, the bumper is an obstacle in shutting the tailgate.
I see what you mean. Would something like this re locator help? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7RWT37/?tag=wranglerorg-20

It looks like it can raise about 2 inches, and you can set the studs to whatever bolt pattern you need, so you won't have to worry about a second spacer-adapter sticking the wheel out way too far

Reactions: jrmcafee
OP
jrmcafee

jrmcafee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reactions: IrishWake